Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nothing like a Texas Ice Storm  (Read 1783 times)

• London Pet Butler
  • Liked: 0
Nothing like a Texas Ice Storm
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:11:34 AM »
Boy, I'd hoped I'd get out of here without seeing another one of these. "Black ice" on the streets, and it's too late for me to run out and sprinkle rock salt on the steep driveway. I may be stuck inside for a day or two.

And why does it alway seem to start at evening rush hour? Well, I'm hunkered down for now, anyway. Now where's that hot toddie?

• Liked: 1
Re: Nothing like a Texas Ice Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 03:10:59 AM »
Boy, I'd hoped I'd get out of here without seeing another one of these. "Black ice" on the streets, and it's too late for me to run out and sprinkle rock salt on the steep driveway. I may be stuck inside for a day or two.

And why does it alway seem to start at evening rush hour? Well, I'm hunkered down for now, anyway. Now where's that hot toddie?

I remember how debilitating those could get just down the road from you in Austin. Whole city would be crippled; you can only stay indoors sure enough. It was bad for me because I was in a job where if I didn't get out to work I didn't get paid...so I dreaded a serious ice storm hitting my city...caused chaos with not just the roads but the income!

Hope you can stay warm and cozy and safe; don't chance it out there.  :)
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »
I'm from the Dallas area too and the good thing about those conditions is that they usually last for only a day or so.  Hopefully that is the case this time around too. 

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »
We had big fluffy snow flakes here in Houston.  It only stuck on the east side of town and down by the coast.   :)
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 01:48:11 AM »
I'm about 50 miles north of Houston, and we had snow flurries. 

• Sorta Training for Virginia Beach Marathon
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:40:15 PM »
Funny, I keep having this conversation with people here in San Antonio. I grew up in Maryland and "normal" there is sheets of black ice with 2 feet of snow or slush on top! People's response to frost and the 1/8 inch of ice that they get every few years down here in Texas is laughable to me lol   In Winter 06, when I had only been here about 6mo, they had a bit of sleet and shut down the entire city. There were police blocking the freeways and some of the other roads. I tried to go to work on those days and was told not to come in! I was like OMG!! Oh, how I miss the East Coast! lol
~*We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon*~

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:47:15 AM »
Funny, I keep having this conversation with people here in San Antonio. I grew up in Maryland and "normal" there is sheets of black ice with 2 feet of snow or slush on top! People's response to frost and the 1/8 inch of ice that they get every few years down here in Texas is laughable to me lol   In Winter 06, when I had only been here about 6mo, they had a bit of sleet and shut down the entire city. There were police blocking the freeways and some of the other roads. I tried to go to work on those days and was told not to come in! I was like OMG!! Oh, how I miss the East Coast! lol

The problem lies in the fact that they don't do anything to prepare the roads so that they don't have to be shut down; even a thin coating of ice, left untreated, ungritted, unsalted, will cause horrendous accidents. Of course, if the City DID something there would be no need for the shutdowns at all and life would go on. It's because they don't do a thing that there are skiddings, accidents, and people can't and won't risk driving. Shouldn't have to happen....but the east and north just get on their "measures" and the cities in the south don't...
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »

LOL!!!  I remember those days!  It's funny that there always seems to be ice on the streets of our village these days, yet they don't salt or do anything about it here, either.  Our car just slides around all the way to work!  I miss the days of getting to stay home from work because of the ice....  ;)  "SNOW" DAY!!!!!!!   ;D

I think the worst time in Dallas was several years ago when there was about 6 inches of ice on the ground on New Year's Eve.... talk about a lot of accidents!!! Have they shut down all the overpasses and put up detours yet?

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »
It's melted, but now we've had heavy fog for 2 days. That's the problem: cities in Texas don't often have much notice about the icy weather. It's always some Blue Norther blowing in on the spur of the moment, so it's not often they can anticipate it. Hence, no pre-treatment of the roads.

What's more, they really can't justify keeping snow equipment and salt solution on hand since we supposed live in a 'temperate' climate.

Couple of Januarys ago, I was in Austin for the governor's ball and entire city shut down. They had to send out for reinforcements from Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. Our return flights were cancelled as the airport shut down. DH and I sat staring out the window and at each other, twiddling our thumbs until he decided the walls were closing in on him. So we rented a car and he gingerly drove us back to Dallas.

I slept the whole way so as not to clench my teeth! Like nearly always, that ice storm wasn't even in the forecast, yet came crashing down like a ton of bricks out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:23:26 PM by LadyAnglesey »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
Man, don't talk to anyone in New England about ice storms right now... there are so many people here without power still, a week later! And now due for lots of snow!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
Oh boy. Here we go again. The bushes are starting to bend over with ice. God knows what the road surfaces are like, but the radio says there's wrecks all over town. And the high for today is 0...and dropping.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
We had a school delay here due to ice in MA. We were out of school for 8 days, then Winter Vacation, so this was our first day back in a month! We might have another snow day on Wednesday as we're supposed to have a messy mix.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:04 PM »
We had a school delay here due to ice in MA. We were out of school for 8 days, then Winter Vacation, so this was our first day back in a month! We might have another snow day on Wednesday as we're supposed to have a messy mix.

Yeah, my sister is dying to get her kindergartener back in...because he's only in morning kindergarten, he didn't have school, yet again today.  And he was sick the day before the first ice storm.  So he's been out of school forever and he's at that age where he really needs the structure of school.
You're stuck with me!

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
So he's been out of school forever and he's at that age where he really needs the structure of school.

...and so does she, I'll wager.  ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:22 PM »
...and so does she, I'll wager.  ;)

Most definitely!!!!!  ;) ;)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab