Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ice Storm and Tree on Car!!  (Read 1551 times)

• Liked: 0
Ice Storm and Tree on Car!!
« on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:23 PM »
We had an ice storm in our area. We are still without electricity, but my parents came to get us today to warm up at their house. The big surprise for us was the tree that fell on our car... It has a fair amount of damage, but we don't think it's totaled. We hope our electricity comes back on soon, we've been without it since Midnight on Thursday and it's getting a little cold!

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
Re: Ice Storm and Tree on Car!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:50:06 AM »
omg that's horrible! I'm sorry that happened to your car.

is there anyway the company that owns your house/apartment could be financially responsible? A tree fell onmy mom's car after we first moved here and they could have been financially responsible if my mom pressed the issue. Apartments are responsible for pruning their trees especially in high windy times....especially eucalyptus trees.

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Wow, sorry about your car. 

This reminds me that I need to call my parents.  When I talked to them on Friday, they had been hit by an ice storm, but so far, hadn't lost power.  I don't know if this was the same storm.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
Here's a news link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28193030

omg that's horrible! I'm sorry that happened to your car.

is there anyway the company that owns your house/apartment could be financially responsible? A tree fell onmy mom's car after we first moved here and they could have been financially responsible if my mom pressed the issue. Apartments are responsible for pruning their trees especially in high windy times....especially eucalyptus trees.

Well, I'm in New England and we don't have any eucalyptus trees, but this really isn't in any way the apartment complex's fault. There are trees down all around our area, we have friends whose properties were severely damaged and some friends who had trees land on their houses. Some whole streets are impassable because of all the downed trees and branches. The whole area smells of pine. At the end of this post, I'll show a picture of our parking lot. There are trees that are at least 2-3 feet in diameter that were uprooted! It's just the weight of the ice. I thought about at least trying to get our deductible amount and retribution for DB's lost wages that day, but the complex has gone above and beyond for us. They went door-to-door telling us about the heat shelter (that we couldn't get to due to lack of car), ordered pizza for everyone, and has had someone standing guard at the entrance every night stopping everyone who wants to come in (we don't have a guard for our complex).

Wow, sorry about your car. 

This reminds me that I need to call my parents.  When I talked to them on Friday, they had been hit by an ice storm, but so far, hadn't lost power.  I don't know if this was the same storm.

I don't know...if they're in MA or NH, then probably. It does at least look pretty.

We're still without power (day three). We're no longer at my parents' because DB had to work and we need his pay. I'm at Panera right now to take advantage of their heat and free wi-fi. at least our car is out from under the tree and we can get out. That has been the worst part, not being able to go anywhere warm during the day because our only means of transportation was under a tree!

These cars are still under trees. Ours is only out because my dad drove up with a chain saw and the tree service then decided we were next to be dug out.  ;)

A gorgeous sight at least...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:11:48 PM by Belita »

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:32:53 PM »
Ugh, how awful! I'm really sorry about your car--that's horrible.

We were without power for three days due to an ice storm in upstate NY one year. Our complex took a generator around and ran everybody's heat for a few hours a day--unfortunately our time slot was at night, so we roasted in bed and froze during the day! But the worst thing was not being able to cook.

Hope everything is cleared up soon.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
Geez, sorry about your car!!  Hope you get your electricity back on soon, too. 

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »
We finally have electricity! It came on about two hours ago. I wish our complex had a generator. I am thankful that we were able to go to my parents' last night and the friend's house for a few hours on Friday. That definitely helped me out a lot. DB works in a very cold environment, so he was fine, but I was freezing!!!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »
We finally have electricity! It came on about two hours ago. I wish our complex had a generator. I am thankful that we were able to go to my parents' last night and the friend's house for a few hours on Friday. That definitely helped me out a lot. DB works in a very cold environment, so he was fine, but I was freezing!!!

Glad your heating is back on!  Curl up and be cozy!   ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 02:51:40 PM »
Glad your heating is back on!  Curl up and be cozy!   ;D

Thanks! We definitely have! I finally found some of the window shrink wrap stuff, so we did that last night and we are so nice and warm now. I keep saying how much I love electricity and heat.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
This has even made it to the BBC webpages ..... click here.

Belita, good to hear you have power again!
John

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
As scary and dangerous as it is, that last photo is absolutely stunning!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
Indeed, and the caption under that pic is rather worrying :-

Officials said there may well be further outages as power lines could snap when trees and branches shed ice and revert to their usual position

Ouch!
John

• Then things got just plain Silly!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »
Wow and here was me crying about it being so blasted cold here! Sorry you have been going through so much, glad your heat and electric are back. Hope the worst is over now for you!
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab