Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK marriage certificate in US and applying for spousal visa  (Read 759 times)

• my baby loves sand
  • Liked: 0
UK marriage certificate in US and applying for spousal visa
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »
I rather curious if I am going to need to do this when i return to the us.

I know that if we had ended up marring in Mexico or Canada we would have to get the documents legalized in both countries.

But since we married in the UK and i want to change my documents in the US do i need to go my local register and have them do something about it. Had anyone dealt with this? Or will my bank and the DMV accept my UK certificate?

Sorry for the new edit but my husband is being a worry wort and wants to ask if we have everything we need for our visa

Both birth certificates, my passport/copy of his, and our marriage licence.

all our bank statements for 3 months (6 months on the newly joined account), which is about 148,000 ish dollars.

Then a letter from someone whose thinking of employing me.

we have a budget- On this we have a couple things paid for because my husband is on indefinite disability and the things that are paid for he would get weather i was here or not. we pay 495 for rent monthly (which is payed by the council) Our council tax is about 900ish but is paid for. we have all the council paper work stating he is receiving the benefits.
Other then that we pay
£8 phone
£40 internet
£125 gas and electric for 3 months (rounded)
£11.62 for TV per month
£25.46 for water per month
£200 for food per month at the very most

we will be showing out paper bills for a lot of this.

A letter from Husband for the sponsor letter

All the supporting documents to prove hes on disability

About 10 photos.

Documents from when i was bounced from the country. And our COA documents as well.

A letter from our landlord saying i can live here and theres enough room and our tenancy agreement.

Are we missing anything? Or any advise?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:39:24 PM by mrslit »
approved ILR 19th of April 2011
Baby Huw Kenneth Ray born June 19 2010

Re: UK marriage certificate in US and applying for spousal visa
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »
obviously , this is of interest to me too, as I am the husband.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:10:51 PM »
Hi guys.

With that much money in the bank, DON'T WORRY!! ;-)

But seriously, your list looks fine. You don't need to provide evidence of your CoA, as it is irrelevant now. You got married in England on the basis of the Visit for Marriage visa, not the CoA.

Enclosing the form you received when denied entry is probably unnecessary as they will have this on file from your previous visa application, and it certainly will have no bearing on your spousal visa. However, if it makes you feel better to put 'see enclosed form and explanation' in the box where you check 'yes' to having been denied entry, explaining what happened and that you subsequently got the proper visa afterward, then do so.

Also, it looks like you've got all boxes checked as far as the usual supporting documents-- just put the passports, marriage certificate, bank statements (3 mos good), disability & council docs, your employment 'offer', and the tenancy agreement & letter of permission from your landlord into a nice big envelope, and send it off to a courier (maybe those lovely people you used last time, eh? ;-)

I would make a small note on the budget that rent & council tax are not listed as expenses due to your husband being on 'indefinite disability', as you say. I know it seems obvious, but I tend to be over-cautious. Also, increase food budget to £350. It looks more realistic and you guys can definitely afford it.

One thing you could do is submit the app online & schedule your biometrics appt. before you fly home, thereby minimizing the wait.

As far as the UK marriage certificate, I don't know how or even if you actually get a physical US marriage certificate. You just use the UK marriage certificate to register your marriage with the US government (which you could do just by bringing the UK certificate to the US consulate in London, btw ;-)

Don't worry, you guys have it sorted!

Di ;-)

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:54:43 PM »
LOL- I think your a bit late Diana we just sent in the on line part yesterday(3 days before we fly i have my apt on Saturday)! But thanks anyways! I'm surprised you said 300 for food only because we really only spend about a 100 every month which is what i put on the app, i guess when i print it out i can change it then. When Mike writes his letter we will mention everything explaining our budget.

I guess ill try to get it the marriage certificate thing taken care of at my local office if not ill just make my way to London on my way day.

I'm rather amazed but this application isn't nearly as bad as the one we did in July. Thanks for all your help with mike then as well.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
Sorry! I've been away and only just checked the forum.

I agree with you that the spousal visa is much easier-- if it is anything like the FLR(M) form, a piece of piss comparatively. Bank statements and marriage license were all I had to show at my 5 minute interview, and we do not have the savings you guys have by a long shot.

Good luck to both of you and enjoy your visit home!

Di ;-)

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
I just realized something on my application, that they never asked when i wanted to leave for the UK. We haven't wrote our letter is it something we might want to include when we would like to leave by?

Also if there are any mistakes on my application can i just write it by when and initial it?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
There should have been a question on the form asking you but yes, you can add answers by hand after.  You don't even need to initial it because you will sign the form anyway.

Vicky

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 12:41:58 AM »
just to clarify We have already submitted but still need to turn it in to the embassy. Can I add at the bottom that we want to leave at so and so date where is asked if there was any other information we wanted to add? And thanks for the answer Vicky.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:43:13 AM »
Just add anything in a cover letter or on the end of the form.

Vicky

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 01:13:28 AM »
Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links