Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is triple citizenship possible?  (Read 1249 times)

• Liked: 12
Is triple citizenship possible?
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:52:23 AM »
DS is a dual national, having been born in the UK to American mother, British father.  His girl friend was born in the US but her mother is Canadian and GF is about to seek Canadian citizenship.  Should they ever produce offspring, would that child be entitled to US/UK/Canadian citizenship?  Then, if I get Irish citizenship through a grandparent, would my future grandchildren be able to claim Irish citizenship?
Just wondered if this type of thing ever came up.  How far could you go with it?  It's like all those people hyphenating their surnames.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 2
Re: Is triple citizenship possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:43:42 AM »
definitely possible.  I already have dual citizenship and when I naturalise as a UK citizen in a few years, I'll be a triple citizen myself!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:52:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure all Jews are entitled to apply for Israeli citizenship, so any Jewish person with dual US and UK citizenship could become an Israeli citizen as well if they wanted to.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• winter, with actual snow
    • TravelnWork
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:49:42 AM »
My wife was born South African, then naturalized in the U.K.  She was going through the U.S. process when we moved to the U.K....so one day in the not too distant future triple citizenship is quite likely, though as I understand it both the U.S. and U.K. would frown upon it and discourage it.
--------------------------------------------
sharing the experience of living abroad

www.travelnwork.info

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:13:50 AM »
Perfectly possible as long as you get citizenship of countries that allow more than one.  I know some countries make you give up your other citizenships to take on theirs. 

• Liked: 31
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
both the U.S. and U.K. would frown upon it and discourage it.

The US ignores other citizenships, the UK doesn't care.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
Perfectly possible as long as you get citizenship of countries that allow more than one.

That's exactly it. My kids are Irish/British/American citizens.

How far could you go with it?
  Theoretically, I would imagine there isn't a limit, so long as all the countries involved don't require that you give up previous held citizenships.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
Yes, as super says, the UK doesn't care.  The US officially ignores other Citizenships (though it can cause issues with security clearences and the like and do warn that taking on other Citizenships can cause conflicts which the US would not be readily able to resolve).  You also have to disclose to the US when you renew your passports that you have taken on another Citizenship but you didn't mean to relinquish your US one by doing so.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Odd Duck
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »
DS is a dual national, having been born in the UK to American mother, British father.  His girl friend was born in the US but her mother is Canadian and GF is about to seek Canadian citizenship.  Should they ever produce offspring, would that child be entitled to US/UK/Canadian citizenship? 
Depends on where the child is born. Canada's citizenship law will be changing by April, and in this instance, if the child is born outside Canada, it won't be eligible for citizenship.

But that's probably not what you were asking. ;)

I was also born in the US to a Canadian mother and have recently submitted my Canadian citizenship application. :)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
Interesting.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:56:16 PM »
Depends on where the child is born. Canada's citizenship law will be changing by April, and in this instance, if the child is born outside Canada, it won't be eligible for citizenship.

Oh my! I am so glad this was mentioned because I am planning on submitting paperwork to claim Canadian citizenship for my 2 children born in the US but was waiting because I feel so burned out from all the recent visa paperwork I've been doing. I'd better get a move on with this!

I'm Canadian born, US and UK naturalized, so as others have stated... it is possible. :)

• Odd Duck
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »
Oh my! I am so glad this was mentioned because I am planning on submitting paperwork to claim Canadian citizenship for my 2 children born in the US but was waiting because I feel so burned out from all the recent visa paperwork I've been doing. I'd better get a move on with this!

I'm Canadian born, US and UK naturalized, so as others have stated... it is possible. :)
If you're Canadian-born, your kids are fine! It's only the second generation born outside Canada that will be ineligible. So your grandchildren wouldn't get citizenship if they're not born in Canada. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp for more details.

The paperwork is pretty straightforward, actually--the form is only 4 pages, and there's not a huge amount of supporting evidence required. And it's not that expensive. Depending on when you left Canada there might be some complications, but those should be fixed by the new law.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »
The US ignores other citizenships, the UK doesn't care.

They do, sorta, if you naturalize. There's a renounciation language in the pledge you take. However, the other countries of which you're citizen, presumably don't care what you tell the U.S. unless you tell it to them directly, and the U.S. follows the same policy as I understand it: you can claim alligience to another country and promise to foresake all others, so to speak, but unless you tell that to a U.S. representative, they don't really consider you having given up anything.

Or, I could have summarized the entire point above as /nit because for all practical purposes, U.S. ignores other citizenships and the U.K. doesn't care. :D
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab