Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need Visa photographer suggestions for Dallas, TX area please.  (Read 1614 times)

• London Pet Butler
  • Liked: 0
Need Visa photographer suggestions for Dallas, TX area please.
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:05:59 AM »
DH and I did our biometrics today and had planned to have the visa photos taken, too. But it turns out that's easier said than done. Every place we tried (in person a couple of times), it was quite clear from talking to them that they were totally unfamiliar with the UK visa specifications: light grey or cream background, 45mm height X 35mm width, etc.

We even printed out the 12 specs to be sure. No one's camera equipment was set up for this.

A few of them just shrugged and others insisted that the standard 2inch X 2 inch photo would be acceptable, which we know is not so.

So, for all you former Dallas, TX area visa holders, where exactly did you have this done? (I tried searching the forum but can't find any suggestions.) Now that we've had biometrics done, the clock is ticking and am now quite anxious.

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
Re: Need Visa photographer suggestions for Dallas, TX area please.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:37:33 AM »
Standard 2 x 2 is fine, actually. Just go to a Kinkos or UPS store. Anywhere really that they do passport photos. When you send your app, they crop the photo themselves for the vignette in your passport.

It worked when I sent away for my fiance visa (in the US) and the same when I applied in person for my FLR(M) (in the UK). **EDIT: In fact, in the UK, I watched the person cut my photo down with a die-cut punch ("cookie cutter" if you will).
I actually questioned this very thing when I was first going through everything...

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=45271.0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:41:20 AM by LoveMyBrit »
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:15 AM »
Also you may go to any Walgreen Drug Stores too

Not sure of the pricing for Kinkos, or UPS, but Walgreens was very cheap.  It is where I got my passport Photos.

Vince

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:22:29 AM »
What about the "light grey or cream coloured background only" specification? All the places we talked to were stumped as they use a plain white background only.

I know this seems a niggling thing, but I'd be royaly pissed off to have our visas denied for this.  ???

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:32:02 AM »
The UKBA is far far far more lienent when it comes to accepting photographs then the US ICE.  I can't remember someone who went to Walgreen's/Kinkos/etc getting a photo rejected.  Anyone have a photo rejected?  I know there have been cases, but usually the consulate calls and says why the photo won't work and asks for new ones instead of just rejecting them out of hand.

In the UK, it is slightly more difficult trying to find the reverse if you don't live near a Snappy Snap, about the only nationwide chain that does American passport photos.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:50:36 AM »
I replied to the PM you sent me, but I sent my app off from Dallas last June and I just went to Walgreens and had my photo taken.  It never even occurred to me that it might not be accepted.  It was a plain white background and the standard 2 x 2 inch size of the passport photo.  No problems with mine! 

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
Another data point: I used the exact same photo for my US passport as I did for my UK visa app.  The passport photos were taken at a place in Chicago which provides passport photos to US standards (they're across the street from the USCIS field office so this is basically all they do).  Had no problem at all.

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »
Thanks so much everyone. You can't imagine the load off my mind this is. As recently as 2 days ago I never even thought stupid photos would be my stress point over visa apps. It's the mere fact that this should be the most simple part of the app, that when everywhere we went had a deer-caught-in-headlights look on their face when I requested the photos, I began to think, omg, maybe I'm missing something.

With Tier 1 having a 45-47% denial rate, the photos thing just gave me the heebie-jeebies. But I knew I could count on this forum to salve my worries. You never let me down. Thanks!

P.S. What do other people do who haven't found this forum?  8)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab