Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gooseberries  (Read 933 times)

• Liked: 0
Gooseberries
« on: June 10, 2004, 04:03:40 PM »
Ideas anyone?
I found a great farmer's market and got fresh rhubarb and gooseberries... I've managed to deal with the rhubarb, but what to do with the gooseberries?
Honestly... I got them because my mother said 'oh, you can get different kinds of fruits and produce that we can't get here, like gooseberries...'
They're now staring back at me having been sitting on my kitchen table since Sunday. [smiley=smart.gif]
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:14:03 PM »
Wish I could help - but I've only ever had them so far in yogurt!

Maybe gooseberry muffins?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 04:21:15 PM »

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 04:36:08 PM »
Fantastic!  Thank you!

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 11:16:55 PM »
Have you tried one yet tho Elizabeth? We got some today at the Farmers Market in Wimborne, and my mouth puckered up due to how tart they are  :o, also got some rhubarb, and am going to attempt my first rhubarb crumble tomorrow :)  The lady who sold us the gooseberries said they would be nice in the crumble too,, but I am not so sure.  :o

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 11:52:25 AM »
Not a full recipe; but have bookmarked that site for future.
Right now, all I know with both the rhubarb and the gooseberries, it's all about boiling/simmering it down and adding sugar!  You must keep an eye on it; and with the rhubarb, add very little water to start; as it gets mushy, water will be released from it.
With the gooseberries, you have to smush them through a sieve to get the 'meat' of the fruit through, and toss the skins and anything else you don't want.  That's all I did last night, as I needed to something with them before they went bad.  So I'll probably stir them up with some sugar and try putting them in a crumble.
Let me know how yours turns out!

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 08:36:56 PM »
I was watching some cooking program late afternoon yesterday.  The entire show involved gooseberry recipes.  I don't recall any of them now, nor do I remember the show.  So really, this post wasn't any help at all!

But umm.. they all looked very good :)

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 04:52:22 PM »
I have seen Gooseberries at Morrisons. I wanted to buy some, but didn't know a) what they taste like or b) what to do with them. I may have to try that crumble!

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 07:54:43 PM »
My husband (Brit) loves gooseberry crumble.  However, he says not to cook them in an aluminum sauce pan because the acid in the gooseberries eats away a little of the pan.  Apparently, he speaks from experience...

The trick to making the gooseberries edible is by using LOTS of sugar.  He also says that golden gooseberries are the "sweetest" variety, but still need sugar.

Another warning from the hubby is not to serve your culinary creation to people who wear dentures because the pips are nasty.

I've never actually tried cooking with them, but I can vouch for my husband's cooking skills.  He's particularly skilled at making pies and tarts.

Good luck!

Kellie
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 10:34:41 PM »
Gooseberry fool is a lovely summer pudding. Just cook the gooseberries with a tiny amount of water and sugar to taste in a non-reactive pan ie stainless steel or enamelled cast iron. (It shouldn't be very sweet, but shouldn't make your mouth pucker either.)

Many people suggest cooking the gooseberries with elderflowers, to give a 'muscat'  flavour, but I think you could just add a little elderflower cordial in place of some of the sugar. I'd add it after they are cooked and cooled, so go easy on the sugar in the first place. (You could always add a little fine sugar afterwards, if needed.)

Mash the gooseberries until they form a rough puree (you'll need some texture).  Whip some cream until it forms soft peaks - not too stiff or buttery. Quantities are irrelevant, as some people love puddings drowning in cream and some prefer a higher ratio of fruit.  Fold the puree into the cream, but not too thoroughly - you want a few unmixed streaks of fruit puree.

Spoon into individual glasses, or heap into a pretty bowl, and chill. Serve with some sort of crisp biscuit, for the contrast of texture. Shortbread would be good.

You can also use a not-too-sweet gooseberry puree in place of apple sauce with pork. It's traditional to serve it with grilled mackerel, but I can't vouch for this, as I can't eat mackerel. *S*

Hope this helps.

Fifi

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 03:28:03 PM »
WOW fifi, thank you!
I will try that, it sounds fantastic!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab