Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Circumcision  (Read 13611 times)

• Liked: 0
Circumcision
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
I am kind of leery about posting this because i think there have been debates about it in the past but I just found out today that we're having a boy in a few months and I'm now thinking (because I always have to worry about something) about circumcision.  I get the feeling it's not exactly common practice in the UK but I would really like to consider it when it's always been a no brainer where I come from to have it done.

I just have no idea where to start though!  Does one get it done at the hospital?  And how long after birth?  And will all hospitals do them or will I be looked at like a crazy person?  We're not going to have a briss or anything and growing up, that's how I always knew them as being done so I am feeling really clueless. Has anyone had their baby boys circumcised and if so, how did you go about it?

Re: Circumcision
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »
Sorry, can't help as we plan not to circumcize and I wouldn't know where to begin either.  But wanted to say congratulations on your little boy!  ;D

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
Congratulations on the scan.  

The NHS only does circs if it is a medical necessity.  I think your best bet would be a private urologist.  

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
When I found out I was having a boy, looking for a mohel was my first priority. I was not able to find anyone in the NHS who would help me with information about circumcision, the midwives didn't know anything as this is not commonly done in the UK. If you aren't Jewish, I don't believe you will find a Mohel who will do this for you, but I think if you contacted an OB/GYN doctor at a private hospital, they would be able to give you more information. Start asking when you go for your appointments now, someone might be able to help you, but no one at my local hospital was able to. We did find a Mohel who did it when my son was 8 days old (as tradition dictates) and he was wonderfully experienced. I hope I have a girl this time though...

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »
thanks for all the congrats:-)  and thanks for the advice..

sevans - I was hoping for a girl too!  I really FELT like it was a girl so it's a weird feeling knowing it's a boy.  Not a bad feeling... just weird!

So I guess I will ask the midwife and see if she can recommend anything.  At the very least maybe she can recommend a private OB/GYN.  I am really curious to know cost because DH isn't against circumcision but it's not 'necessary' for him so he doesn't understand paying a lot of money for it.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Congrats!

I live in North London and the midwives here were quite knowledgeable about where to get a non-religious circumcision.  I am having a girl, but it was something my husband and I were keen on knowing about if the baby was a boy. 

In our area there are doctor's surgeries that will do it privately and from what I understand these guys are generally jewish and may moonlight on the side as a part time mohel.  A friend of mine decided to have her son circumcised recently and neither she or her husband are jewish, so she had to pay for it through a doctor's surgery.  She said it cost around 300 GBP.  Her son was about 4-5 months old when they had it done and whilst it didn't seem to bother him for more than a few hours, I think the general consensus is the sooner the better. 

If you don't have any luck getting information from your midwife, you can PM me and I get the name of the guy who did my friend's son. 

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »
Congrats!

I live in North London and the midwives here were quite knowledgeable about where to get a non-religious circumcision.  I am having a girl, but it was something my husband and I were keen on knowing about if the baby was a boy. 

In our area there are doctor's surgeries that will do it privately and from what I understand these guys are generally jewish and may moonlight on the side as a part time mohel.  A friend of mine decided to have her son circumcised recently and neither she or her husband are jewish, so she had to pay for it through a doctor's surgery.  She said it cost around 300 GBP.  Her son was about 4-5 months old when they had it done and whilst it didn't seem to bother him for more than a few hours, I think the general consensus is the sooner the better. 

If you don't have any luck getting information from your midwife, you can PM me and I get the name of the guy who did my friend's son. 

Thanks Karin and congrats on your girl!  I will ask the MW next week and if she can't help, I will definitely PM you for more info. 

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:07 PM »
boys are really lots of fun! I loved having my 1st being a boy. No specific reason but it was great! Just watch out during diaper changes!!!

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
I have nothing useful to add in regards to circumcision, but congrats on finding out its a boy Lissa!   :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »
Just watch out during diaper changes!!!

Julia, best advice!   ;D  DS is 4 months now, and I think I have now finally gotten the hang of super speedy diaper changes.

Lissa, congrats on having a boy, and karin, congrats on a girl :)
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »
NB: There was an article in today's Observer Woman mag about circumcision in which they mentioned a clinic in Luton which performs circumcisions. Apparently it's the only place in the UK that does circumcisions, besides religious practitioners.  Unfortunately they didn't name it, but hopefully anyone that wants to can track it down via our good friend Google.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab