Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wheres the beef??  (Read 1234 times)

Wheres the beef??
« on: January 24, 2003, 01:24:05 AM »
cORNY I know sorry..but just wanted it to get attention..he he...

anyhow..i am looking for beef short ribs and have not seen them in the stores - tescos, sainsburys, etc....

i want them to make some soup....and im not sure if they are called something difft over here....like almost everything else is....

i have not found any soups that i like over here so i will try to make some myself...so fingers crossed i can find some...what i am looking for is basically chunks of meat still on the bone...anyone know what i am talking about and where to find????

;D

Re: Wheres the beef??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 09:26:44 AM »
I think, no I'm almost sure that you can't buy them here because of BSE.  I don't think they can sell beef still on the bone.  Sorry. :)

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 07:52:19 PM »
I think, no I'm almost sure that you can't buy them here because of BSE.  I don't think they can sell beef still on the bone.  Sorry. :)

Mindy is correct, due to the restrictions because of BSE they don't sell beef off the bone any more.  Although they were talking about lifting these restrictions when the livestock is completely cured of the disease, which is projected to be in about 5 - 10 years. :( However if you can find a butcher who's beef is brought from Europe or elsewhere you can get any cuts that you want to from it and get it cut in any way you wish also.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 11:13:55 AM »
This is true, but I'm able to find ribs. Bought some last month for BBQ grilling. Even had them the other night at a Chinese Restaurant. I think they've laxed the rule.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 11:10:41 AM »
I'd go to a butchers. Here in Leeds we have the Market. It's this old corn exchange turned into a sort of farmers market, you can buy anything there from pet toys to the latest fashions to cleaning products.  They've got about 10 butchers all in the same area. I go there if I have questions about meat. (being married to a veggie and all, he's of no help to me. After all, he thinks Quorn is meat) So far they've been very helpful. Even told me how to cook my first turkey.

I just realized a market in Leeds is of no help to you, but maybe you'll have the same in your area.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 01:18:08 AM »
I'm not sure that there's much demand in the UK for the ribs you are looking for, but the ban on beef-on-the bone was dropped a couple of years ago - we could readily buy T-bones when we still lived in London back in 2001.

I'd recommend finding a "proper butcher" - one on the high street, like those that Ashley knows in Leeds, and asking him.  Generally they'll be pleased to do you a special cut if you want something a bit different.
Richard

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab