Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I got an interview!!!!!  (Read 2370 times)

Re: I got an interview!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 08:00:39 PM »
 :D ;D :D ;D :D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2004, 12:52:48 AM »
Ok, sorry Stacey, no suggestions as to what to do, cause I'm not even there yet! :D  I just wanted to say congratulations! and how wonderful!  I know you're nervous, as are most people in interviews but it must be so exciting to know you've taken another step toward your life in the UK!  If that makes sense what I'm trying to say, lol :D  Conratulations again!  And best of luck!  You absolutely deserve it.
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lovers arms can only come later when you are sure they wont laugh if you trip." - Jonathan Carroll, "Outside the Dog Museum" - From an e-card I sent Craig when I was 14
6 ½ years later... :D

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2004, 08:54:22 AM »
Thanks Kas!!!  I'm nervous, but more excited then that so I'll be OK. 

I just got some interviewing books to help a bit, though I like to think it's me they like not the interview.  (Thanks Howard!)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2004, 09:43:40 AM »
Congratulations, Stacey!   [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif]

I'll second most of what Howard said.  There will most likely be a panel of interviewers and their questions are likely to be extremely well thought out.  They will have already prepared a scoring matrix and compared how the info on  your CV tallies with the essential and desired characteristics of the ideal candidate.  Make SURE you go over the desired/essential list and know how you qualify for each of them.  And britwife is right...there will most likely be a question about cultural sensitivity...I was asked what I thought would be the most important social factors affecting the people I would be working with--I said socioeconomic and religious/cultural and expanded on that.

You should find out fairly soon.  I found out the same day...when DH was job-searching he usually found out within a week or so.   

Wear something professional, but make sure that you're comfortable.  I'd suggest some well-cut trousers and a jacket or a skirt suit.  Skip the perfume, loads of accessories, and things that are ultra-trendy.  Think classic!

Also, make a real effort to speak slowly and clearly.  I tend to talk too fast for most people to understand me, so I was very aware of that (and my accent!) during the interview.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!   ;D

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2004, 10:52:24 AM »
Congrats Stacey!!!!!  ;D ;D

Not much more needs to be said aside from just be yourself and relax.

I think I got lucky when I got my first job here (the one I'm still with) as I was completely unaware that the interview process may be different so I didn't treat it any differently. I am glad though that I was only interviewed by the head of HR alone and then taken to my then boss and interviewed with him. He was also very mellow (and dare I say cool) about the whole process and really just treated it like a chat in a pub.  So again, I was lucky in that I didn't receive the 'proper UK interview' I guess.  :-\\\\

I think I found out that I had the job later that day or the next day. I can't really remember but I know I thought it was really quick!

Also, make a real effort to speak slowly and clearly.  I tend to talk too fast for most people to understand me, so I was very aware of that (and my accent!) during the interview.

I totally agree!!! I have the same problem with talking too fast...especially when nervous. I still try to be aware of the speed of my speech when on the phone at work because most of the time people aren't expecting the accent and I wind up having to repeat everything. You may want to keep that in mind too, even if you don't think you talk too fast!

Good luck!!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »
Congratulations Stacy!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you tho I am sure you will be brilliant! I am taking notes too as I am going to have a quick "chat" with a potential employer in the UK on Monday. :)

• Why a duck?
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2004, 07:40:43 PM »
Best of luck, Stacey!  My fingers are crossed for you too. 
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab