Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tier 4 visas--some hidden difficulty?  (Read 508 times)

• Liked: 0
Tier 4 visas--some hidden difficulty?
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
So, being defeated in my quest for a Tier 1 General visa by the new master's degree (research only, not taught  ::) ) requirement, it seemed the next logical choice was to study for such a degree, *in* the UK, and then apply for the post-study visa so as to have a few years to get my earnings up and transfer to the Tier 1 General on the basis of education plus earnings.

However, at least one experienced person made an ominous remark in passing in another thread, suggesting it's very difficult to qualify for Tier 4 visas. When I look at the UKBA information page, however, it seems to suggest that all one needs is

• a sponsoring entity (which seems to include most institutions of higher learning) that will provide a letter saying you have been offered a position in a course of study
  • proof of funds to support yourself and pay tuition and fees for your course.

Am I missing something? Is it difficult to get these sponsorship letters from universities?

TIA

Jan[/list]

Re: Tier 4 visas--some hidden difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
I don't think getting the sponsor letter and the required maintenance is going to be that difficult for you, but that's beause you've already realised that applying requires some planning.
What most people will find difficult is supplying the documents in the required format. That means if a sponsor letter fails to state the expected end date, the letter is not a specified document and therefore will not be awarded 30 points. Similalrly, the financial documents are also very strict, and if you send photocopies, or it's not clear the funds are cash, then again, the application is likely to be refused.

I think the gloom and doom is in part due to the fact that US Students  have never been required to provide such detailed documentation before combined with ECOs having no discretion is likely to lead to more refusals, and refusals take a long time, and this will have a knock on effect.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:53 PM »
I don't get how people who are funding themselves with student loans will be able to get this information, because loans are disbursed at certain times during the year and will not be available as cash in the bank 28 days before the application is in. Also, I for example was funded by a studentship, and ORSAS award and loans, but all of that money came in gradually, and in the case of the latter two, directly to the university. My understanding is that I would not have been able to get a Tier 4 visa in that case. That's rubbish.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:54:53 PM »
It looks to me as though people who are being funded by loans don't need to have the cash, but need to have confirmation of the loan.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »
I think the gloom and doom is in part due to the fact that US Students  have never been required to provide such detailed documentation before combined with ECOs having no discretion is likely to lead to more refusals, and refusals take a long time, and this will have a knock on effect.

I can well imagine that! Given that you cannot apply more than six months before the beginning of the course, if you do, and they take their time in processing them and then something goes wrong (they decide your docs aren't in order, choose to verify one of them, etc.) things could get tricky.

Also, I like the arrival times they give you--leave to enter a week before a less-than-six-month course starts? Veeery generous.  ::)

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
Yeah, but for a less than 6 month course you don't need advance entry clearance.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »
And, if you go for without entry clearance, (subject to meeting the requirements of Paragraph 56K of the rules) you are admitted as a student visitor for six months anyway. If you need to have the visa (i.e. you need to work) just leave the UK after the course, pop over to Amsterdam as students are wont to do,  and come back in as a visitor.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
And, if you go for without entry clearance, (subject to meeting the requirements of Paragraph 56K of the rules) you are admitted as a student visitor for six months anyway. If you need to have the visa (i.e. you need to work) just leave the UK after the course, pop over to Amsterdam as students are wont to do,  and come back in as a visitor.

Mmmm. But since (a) I want to get a proper master's degree (not likely do-able in under six months) and (b) my plan for building up sufficient income to eventually qualify as a skilled migrant will require self-employment (banned under student visas), I think I'm better off getting a proper student visa to get the degree (I can pay for tuition &c. with my savings) and then getting a post-study visa to work.

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:31:53 PM »
Then I'm not sure that I see the relevance of the restrictions for a less-than-six-month course?

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 10:38:08 PM »
Then I'm not sure that I see the relevance of the restrictions for a less-than-six-month course?

I was commenting on it in general, not because it was relevant to my case. It seemed a pretty miserly allowance of time for a foreign student to arrive in the UK, find a place to live (if not living in halls), and get acclimated to the UK (if they haven't been there before).

Also, if you don't need clearance for a less-than-six-months course of study, why is that covered in the Tier 4 documents? Sounds like UKBA thinks that clearance is needed!

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
It is optional to get clearance for non-visa nationals.  Visa-nationals need it, of course.

It would be impossible for someone to get a visa of this nature without already having somewhere to live lined up (I would guess).

Vicky

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
It would be impossible for someone to get a visa of this nature without already having somewhere to live lined up (I would guess).

How would a foreign student with no contacts in the UK be able to do that?

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:19:05 PM »
How does any student get accommodation?

Vicky

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »
How does any student get accommodation?

I started to reply, but I think this thread is going way off base, so I think I'll stop.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab