Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Passport through FCO in six days, hurrah!  (Read 313 times)

• The official blog
  • Liked: 0
Passport through FCO in six days, hurrah!
« on: April 09, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
Some time ago, I posted about the fix I was in concerning getting a British passport after naturalising.  The trouble was that I needed to leave the UK about a week after the ceremony to go to Switzerland (where we're in the process of moving), and I was going to need to come back about three or four weeks after that, and then once back in the UK I had several more work trips piling up.  I just couldn't see a way to get six weeks clear to send away my passport for the application.

So I thought that, since I was going to be outside the UK for 3 or 4 weeks (which is not the recommended six weeks, but it's not an impossibly short time either) I'd investigate the possibility of getting a passport through the foreign office.  The FCO application form says "please try to leave six weeks, but if you enter a date of travel we will try to meet it."  So I filled out the form, got my reference, and left for Zurich.

All applications for France, Switzerland, and Benelux are handled through the Paris consulate.  So on my way to Zurich last Friday, I stopped in Paris and had a conversation that went something like this.

Me: "Hi, I'd like to apply for a British passport, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing."
Clerk: "Ok..."
Me: "First, is there any chance that it can be done by the 26th?"
Clerk: "Yes, that should be no problem."
Me: "Great!  Also, do you need me to submit my US passport?  Because I kind of need to carry it while I'm here."
Clerk: "No, we don't need it." [... later ...] "Do you have your US passport with you so I can make a copy of it?"
Me: [hands over passport]
Clerk: [copies passport and naturalisation certificate, gives both back to me] "OK, you should expect your passport around the 18th, although it might get delivered the following Monday."
Me: "Great, thanks!"

I was happy enough with expecting it by the 18th; imagine my joy when I came in the door half an hour ago and there was a TNT envelope waiting for me from Paris, passport enclosed.  That was six days turnaround, including delivery, including a weekend.  And finally my papers are in order!

Re: Passport through FCO in six days, hurrah!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
WOW very cool for you! Congrats!

Sponsored Links