Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Top Secret  (Read 2958 times)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Top Secret
« on: January 27, 2003, 11:15:37 AM »
Found this great website that tells you how to make all the best food from your favourite American restaurants. Chili's Baby back ribs, Arby's sauce, Applebee's chicken salad. Even Baby Ruths.

www.topsecretrecipes.com

I haven't made anything from it yet, but it's been a comfort to me just knowing I have a resource to make something familiar.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Re: Top Secret
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 08:38:49 PM »
BABY RUTHS!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  You can MAKE a BABY RUTH?  How is this POSSIBLE?  I must go investigate. [smiley=evilgrin.gif]

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 08:42:29 PM »
BLAST!  You need light corn syrup.  I guess that rules that out. :'(

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 09:01:03 PM »
Seems like you could probably substitute simple syrup for corn syrup--you just make it by melting regular sugar in hot water...see http://www.allrecipes.com/cb/sbs/simplesyrup/default.asp.  Then you can make your Baby Ruths...

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 08:29:26 AM »
...and white Karo is available by mail order!

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 09:48:39 AM »
...and white Karo is available by mail order!

True.  But since I've managed to survive this long without owning it, I don't think I'll start now. :)  I think I've come to my senses anyway.  The thought of me in my kitchen trying to replicate an American candy bar is just too bizarre....and sad. ;)

• Liked: 2
;DRe: Top Secret
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 10:53:14 AM »
You gotta love that they have a recipe for Twinkie filling ;D

(Bit of a twinkie fan myself)
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• having one of those days...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 11:17:37 AM »
i LOVE looking at recipes!!  i see a lot of things i'd like to make, but sometimes you need a certain ingredient that's hard to find (like molasses) and then if i do special order it, i find it sits in my cupboard for ages.

twinkie filling? hubby LOVES twinkies. might have to try that one!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 03:19:51 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like treacle is very similar to molasses.  It's a bit frustrating trying to cook here, because I'm not sure whether the ingredients are simply not available or are called by a different name!  Has anyone compiled a list of substitutions?  

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 03:27:41 PM »
I believe Leah has made a list  on the site.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 05:34:17 PM »

I think I've come to my senses anyway.  The thought of me in my kitchen trying to replicate an American candy bar is just too bizarre....and sad. ;)

True!  ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 07:49:34 PM »
Twinkee filling!!  What could you do with twinkee filling-besides eat it out of the bowl? :)  I guess you could make devils food cupcakes?  or mini swiss rolls?  or?  or?  ok, eat it out of a bowl sounds good. :)  

My thirteen year old just said 'what IS twinkee filling?'  Good Lord!  The poor deprived child!  Now I MUST make it.   ;)

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 07:51:47 PM »
Hey Islandgirl!  I've always thought that molassus WAS treacle.  Isn't it?  I've always used it as a substitution with ok results.   :)

• having one of those days...
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2003, 11:45:16 AM »
Hey Islandgirl!  I've always thought that molassus WAS treacle.  Isn't it?  I've always used it as a substitution with ok results.   :)

is it? hmm.  i tried making molasses cookies with treacle once, didn't come out.  then again, my mrs field's recipes don't quite come out, either.  i was thinking of melting down that new molasses sugar to see how that comes out.

arby's sauce...yum!  now to find some kaiser rolls!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2003, 10:34:16 PM »
steve and i like this site....we also use Kopycat.com  great site for those, "i'm missing (eating out) U.S. foods".

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links