Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Issues with the CoA Process  (Read 4139 times)

• Liked: 0
Issues with the CoA Process
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:18 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has had any similar experiences and a pleasing outcome that could hopefully put mine and my fiance's minds at rest. I will bullet point the situation up until now to give a background first of all.

(I just finished writing this and have realised how long it is, I apologise in advance for the length but hope this doesn't stop anyone reading and offering their advice)

*  Introduced via a mutual friend in 2007 and corresponded as friends via email, web cam and telephoned each other for some months.

* I visited USA in March 2008 for just over 2 weeks and we lived together during that visit. Decided during that trip that we wished to marry.

* My fiance visited the UK in May 2008 for 1 week and lived with myself at my home during that visit.

* I returned to the USA in June 2008 and we became engaged to be married during that trip (engagement date 26 June 2008). I then returned to the UK in July 2008.

* Wedding agreed to take place sometime in 2009 once a venue could be found to accommodate around 140 guests and to allow travel arrangements to be made and accommodation booked for the guests.

* In view of the intention to settle in the UK following the marriage initial enquiries were made over the visa requirements. Following a number of emails and a telephone call to the general enquiries of the UK Border Agency it was ascertained that:

1:A fiance visa was not suitable at that stage as the wedding was
       going be more than 6 months away

2:Since the intention was for my fiance and I to alternate visits it was pointed
       out by the UK Border Agency that if my fiance reached 6 months total stay in any
       12 month period in the UK she would not be able to enter the UK again in that 12
       month period unless she had a visa.

Since my fiance would need to be in the UK to organise the wedding it was suggested by the UK Border Agency that she apply for a 12 month visitor visa at the UK High Commission in Chicago Il USA

UK Border Agency also suggested enquiring with the High Commission in Chicago and gave a contact telephone number. However, the High Commission does not take any telephone calls regarding visa enquiries and there is only a recorded message referring you to Worldbridge with your enquiries.

Following a telephone call to a premium rate number for Worldbridge the questions were put again that the wedding was going to be in the UK in around 12-13 months time depending on when it could be booked but there was a need for my fiance to be able to be in the UK for more than 6 months in total in that period. Worldbridge confirmed the findings of the UK Border Agency that the fiancé visa was inappropriate and the only solution from the available options was a visitor visa (multiple entry 12 month VISA). It was suggested that a 12 month visitor visa valid from 12 November 2008 was applied for since this would cover the period during which the wedding would take place and it gave the option or applying for either:-

+ A Certificate of Approval to marry if Julie was in the UK or
                + A fiancé visa if my fiance was in the USA at the point the wedding was 
                   booked and we fell within the qualifying timescales of these documents

It took around 5 -6 weeks to get the answers to these questions and it was thought wise to apply for the visa at that stage since the rules allowed for a visa to be applied for 3 months prior to the required starting date of the visa.

* At this stage my fiance was due to return to the UK for another visit in about 4 weeks’ time and stay for 4 weeks. Her intention was then to return to the USA until November 2008. The flights were already booked. The timescale being quoted by the High Commission in Chicago for processing a visa application was 14 days. Although it is claimed it is unnecessary, the only way to be able to find out the status of an application is to use one of the many courier services listed on the High Commission website. As a result Perry Visa was engaged to handle the application.

* By the time all the online application/documentation was dealt with and the biometrics arranged and carried out there was just less than 3 weeks remaining to my fiance's planned trip to the UK. The High Commission was fully aware of the circumstances and it had been explained to them the reasons why this application was being made and that although it was not required until November 2008 it was decided to apply now in view of the unusual circumstances.

* Despite knowing the circumstances the High Commission notified Perry Visa that they would not deal with the application until the beginning of September 2008 which was after my finace's planned departure to the UK for her latest trip. As a result there was no option other than to change the flight at considerable additional expense.

* Despite the High Commission advising that they would not deal with the application until September 2008, they called my fiance the day after the original flight left to say they had dealt with it but by that time it was too late to do anything to rearrange the flight again.

* Despite the start date being requested for 12 November 2008 the individual who dealt with the application started it at the end August 2008 even although it was not required at that stage . This meant that the wedding had to be arranged prior to end August 2009 rather than by 11 November 2009 which would have caused further problems had we been unable to get dates. The individual who dealt with it at the High Commission was also extremely confrontational and made inappropriate statements which my fiance found very upsetting (initially he had said that he was refusing it but we appealed after hearing his decision was purely based on his assumption that my fiance planned on becoming an illegal alien with no intention of returning which we found highly inappropriate).

*Since the delay at the High Commission had delayed my fiance's trip from August to September 2008 she decided to remain in the UK as there was little point in returning to the USA for such a short period of time since we were both due to be in the USA in November for a family wedding.

* After returning from the USA on 12 November 2008 my fiance has stayed at my house. Under the terms of her current visa she is not permitted to work and she is supported by myself, her fiancé and a British Citizen (Born and raised in Scotland). As such she cannot currently have a UK bank account nor are there any utility bills addressed to her. The support of my fiance while in the UK was also made clear at the time of the 12 month visa application. Evidence of the earnings and employment status of myself were supplied together with utility bill, mortgage evidence and bank statements to prove my ability to support my fiance.

We are trying to finalise wedding details for a large wedding which also involves guests travelling long distances from a number of areas. As you may be aware we cannot notify a registrar until we have a Certificate of Approval to marry. The application for a certificate of approval to marry in the UK was sent to the UK Border Agency on 8th of March and although it said they can take up to 14 weeks we thought (however stupidly and optimistically) there would be no issue and it could be processed rather quickly considering there are no reasons I can see from their criteria that this should be refused. We are both adults (30 & 33 years old) I own my own property, both have no convictions etc etc.

The reason we had hoped for a reasonable turn around is because of the 180 day rule on the 12 month multiple entry Visa meaning my fiance has to leave the country and return before May 11th.

We received a letter after a couple of days confirming that they had received our application and in a nutshell "don't call us we'll call you".

Much to my dismay we received a letter on Thursday the 9th of April (obviously they are then uncontactable for the next four days due to the easter weekend which just adds to the frustration and uncertainty) which from what I can make out appears to be a standard letter which is being issued to all CoA applicants.

However the questions asked in it do not really apply to our situation as far as I am aware In the case of Baiai & oths -v- Secretary of State for the Home Office (2006) they point out that you are only making further enquiries in the following categories

1. Those who had valid leave to enter or remain at the time of their application but who were not granted more than 6 months leave initially or who had less than 3 months remaining or
   2. Those who had no valid leave to enter or remain

Both of which we satisfy in our situation.

I contacted the UK Border Agency today by telephone and after finally getting through (1 hour calling with the call being terminated then 20 minutes on hold once I finally got in the calling queue) was met with an entirely unhelpful woman who appeared to be reading all her answers off a screen with no actual knowledge held by herself.

I questioned her reasoning for the letter as to my knowledge as stated above these questions do not apply to us as we satisfy the criteria required that these points are not an issue (there are other reasons that many of the questions are pointless like ones concerning utility bills etc, since my fiance is on a visitors visa she cannot work and so these questions are completely pointless, a number of the other questions deal with seeking proof of the wedding, we sent numerous documents with the original application not because we were required but just to try and help the situation so it gave the impression that they did not even look at what we had sent them originally, it was a letter from the Humanist confirming the wedding and he was doing it along with confirmation from the castle for the ceremony and the hotel for the reception)

She told me at this point they can ask who they want what they want and I should mark the questions that aren't applicable and return the document but still answer the ones that are applicable.

After a lengthy conversation back and forward I eventually managed to confirm through her that the CoA is not a Visa so my fiance still has to leave the country before the 11th of May and return again, which is fine except they still hold both our passports, she confirmed to me that asking for our passport back in order to travel does not affect the validity of our application and the process will continue without them.

I guess my first question would be is she telling the truth as I was not filled with confidence in her abilities due to our conversation.

Secondly is there anything we should do to make things easier for ourselves?

Third is there any reasons you can think of they would knock our application back?

However much to my dismay we received a letter

Almost £2,000 has already been paid out in deposits and numerous members of my fiance's family has already booked their flights from the USA.

All we have ever done is to try to seek guidance as to the correct procedures and to follow exactly the instructions of the UK Border Agency and their appointed bodies.

(I do plan on complaining about the quality of service after this is all over but I don't think this would help our application if I done it at this stage).

(Sorry if I ramble anywhere but this has been a very stressful day thanks to the quality of service provided by our esteemed Government and the helpful staff at the UK Border Agency)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:30:27 PM by TheGlovner »

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Issues with the CoA Process
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »
Much to my dismay we received a letter on Thursday the 9th of April (obviously they are then uncontactable for the next four days due to the easter weekend which just adds to the frustration and uncertainty) which from what I can make out appears to be a standard letter which is being issued to all CoA applicants.

However much to my dismay we received a letter

What was this letter you received?  Does it say that the CoA isn't going to be issued?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
It seems to be a standard letter with the usual polite "In order to help with our enquiries we ask you to submit us with the following:" to open.

Then goes on to list 21 points that we should give them (as I said in my huge post above and thanks for taking the time to read it) most of the points don't apply to our situation, she cannot supply utility bills to my address as she is on a visitor visa, bank statements, again she can't have a bank account due to her status, pictures of the two of us together (not sent these yet), letter from the person carrying out the ceremony (we supplied the letter from our Humanist with the original application confirming where and when and who he was marrying), confirmation documents surrounding the wedding (we also sent these with the original application, some confirmation of deposits for the wedding cake, confirmation from the venue for the wedding and a seperate one for the hotel for the reception and deposit confirmation for personalised wedding favours).

It just worried me that having sent this stuff they have completely ignored it and sent out this letter even though the rules state that in our situation there would be no requirement for further evidence, we just sent this stuff with the original application to try and be helpful. I do get the impression that there is no common sense applied and they run through a checklist regardless of how applicable it is to the actual situation, doesn't stop the stress though.

It doesn't say that they won't grant it but she certainly didn't put my mind at rest when I phoned them to try and get the other questions answered. Constantly stating there was no guarantee that it would be granted and no guarantee that on leaving the country in May my fiance would be allowed back in even though here 12 month vistor visa is good until August.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:59:40 PM by TheGlovner »

• Britannicaine
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
Well, I am not a visa expert, but from what I can tell, even if you are granted the CoA, your fiancee will still have to return to the US in May, and I believe she will also have to return to the US again after you're married and apply for her spousal visa there, because it's not possible to switch from a visitor to a spousal visa in-country.  You plan to get married in 2009, which is nearly half over, she's already been here planning the wedding for 6 months, so why not just scrap the CoA business and have your fiancee apply for a fiance visa when she returns to the US next month?  Once you're married, she can switch to FLR(M) and everything will be hunky-dory, plus you won't have to supply any utility bills and she won't need to have a UK bank account. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:13:14 PM by historyenne »

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
She is not going back to the US in May, we are just leaving the country so couple of days to France or something. Then coming back again.

On speaking to the Worldbridge people they had said that the CoA is effectively a fiance visa only for use when you are already in the UK. So fiance visa you get when you are outside the UK CoA when you are inside the UK.

So upon marrying we get a spousal  visa then the ILR after two years or this is certainly what I was led to believe. It is a bit of starnge way of doing things but it was done this way due to the 6month limit on the fiance visa not being long enough.

• Britannicaine
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:24:25 PM »
The CoA isn't a fiance visa, and I think you'll find that that you can't switch to an FLR(M) in-country.  She will have to go back to the US at some point no matter what. 

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
Just want to point out one thing- even though your fiance was granted a 12-month visitor visa, as you know you can only be in the UK for 6 months in one stretch.  She wasn't granted leave to enter for more than 6 months continously, which is why the CoA is taking a while to process and they're asking for all this extra information.  And yeah, the CoA is not even close to being a visa...it has absolutely nothing to do with permission to stay in the UK.

historyenne is right, you cannot switch from a visitor status to a spouse from inside the UK.  She will have to go back to the US to do that.  As far as leaving for a few days and re-entering as a visitor, I don't know. Since she already has a visitor's visa (which, honestly, I'm pretty shocked that you got!) maybe she'll be okay.  But since she'll have to go back to the US anyway for her spousal visa, I agree that forgetting the CoA, going back to the US now and getting a fiance visa (which allows you to switch to spouse in-country) would be the easiest and least stressful thing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:47:32 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »
She is not going back to the US in May, we are just leaving the country so couple of days to France or something. Then coming back again.

On speaking to the Worldbridge people they had said that the CoA is effectively a fiance visa only for use when you are already in the UK. So fiance visa you get when you are outside the UK CoA when you are inside the UK.

So upon marrying we get a spousal  visa then the ILR after two years or this is certainly what I was led to believe. It is a bit of starnge way of doing things but it was done this way due to the 6month limit on the fiance visa not being long enough.

Historyenne is right, the Certificate of Approval is not a fiancee visa, or any visa for that matter.  In simplified terms, it is a certificate granting foreigners permission to marry in the UK.  Once married, she will have to return to the US to apply for the spouse visa; one cannot switch from a visitor to another category, such as a spouse.  Also, she will still have to abide by the terms of her visitor visa while in the UK as a visitor.  Channel hopping can certainly work, but be aware that she runs the risk of being bounced (denied entry). 

Hopefully Vicky or someone with more concrete knowledge will chime in, but I don't think that a long term visitor visa (1 year, 2 years, 5 years etc) actually means that the person can be in the UK for that entire length of time.  I believe that they are subject to the 6 months per 12 month period guideline.

Generally visit visas are valid for six months. But they can be issued for longer, for 1,2,5 or 10 years. However, those with longer term visas can still only stay in the UK for six months at any one time, other than Academic Visitors and parents of children at school as outlined above.  Longer term visas are generally issued to frequent travellers.
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#9039025

Hope that helps.

x-posted with springhaze
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:45:37 PM »
Well this is worrying as it isn't what we were led to believe by Worldbridge or the UK Border Agency.

In a nutshell you are saying we have needlessly spent thousands of pounds and will need to spend another couple due to these people not being able to give satisfactory advice?

As I say the led us to believe that due to the length of time she was coming over before the wedding that we could apply for the CoA (I appreciate it isn't a visa which is why we were leaving the country for a couple of days in May in order to satisfy the 180 day rule on her visitors visa). Once we had the wedding she could get to stay in the country due to her being married to a British citizen after two years we would need to apply for the ILR.

I was hoping for my mind to be put at rest now I am even more worried!?

How long would it take to get the fiance visa approved if she had to fly back to the US (which to do before July 25th for the wedding I could not travel with her) as she really won't like the idea of having to leave home and go back to America especially when this is not what we have planned for.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
In a nutshell you are saying we have needlessly spent thousands of pounds and will need to spend another couple due to these people not being able to give satisfactory advice?

Basically. :(

Fiance visas don't usually take more than a few weeks- she can fill out the application online and schedule a biometric appointment before leaving the UK, but she will have to be in the US to attend biometrics and send in her supporting documents/passport.  You also can use a courier agency at the last bit of the process to speed up processing time considerably.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »
Or, you could head back to the US with her and arrange a quiet wedding there, she could apply for a spousal visa, re-enter the UK to stay and have the big wedding in the UK...lots of people make strange and interesting compromises when it comes to planning an 'international' wedding.
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:54 PM »
Or, you could head back to the US with her and arrange a quiet wedding there, she could apply for a spousal visa, re-enter the UK to stay and have the big wedding in the UK...lots of people make strange and interesting compromises when it comes to planning an 'international' wedding.

Ha, isn't that the truth.  We ended up getting a CoA (I was here on a work visa though, so no issues) and doing a registry office wedding/elopement in the UK for the legalities, got my visa and then had our family wedding in the US four months later.  It wasn't ideal, but it's what we needed to do and it simplified our lives considerably. Yay immigration (not!)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:01:18 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
Okay I have done a bit more digging and got this from some site confiming the laws.

2. Applications from outside the UK to UK embassy or consulate where non EEA spouse/civil partner/partner lives on a VAF4 form. £500 non-refundable fee. Couple are interviewed. Can be slow. If successful, granted 27 months leave to enter the UK.

3. Applicants from within the UK must have permission to be in the UK for more than six months, except holders of fiancé or proposed civil partner visas, (ie cannot obtain spouse/civil partner visa as overstayer, visitor, asylum seeker etc). Application on Form FLR(M); £395 postal fee; originals of all accompanying evidence, passports etc. Couple may be interviewed.

Now she has the right to be here due to the visitors visa, the FLR(M) appears to just extend the right to stay, in otherwords extending her 1 year visitor visa to the two years it then takes for her to apply for the indefinate leave to remain, or I am I just reading this hopefully now. I hope not because they have already taken my £300 for the CoA which I am sure Jacqui Smith will need to pay for her husbands porn habits but that doesn't look good for my bank balance if I can't get it returned especially as so much money has been spent on the recomendation of the Border agency and Worldbridge who they recommended to us to answer the questions on the best way to do this.

ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »
OK, the UK Border Agency does seem to imply that she can switch from "another category" (doesn't mention visitor, just "another category") to spousal if she has been granted more than 6 months permission to enter or remain.  

If you entered the United Kingdom in a different category (for example, as a student), you may be allowed to switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner if we have given you a total of more than six months' permission to live here since your most recent admission to the United Kingdom. This permission must have been given in accordance with the Immigration Rules, not 'exceptionally' (outside the Immigration Rules). For example, if we gave you permission to enter for three months and then permission to remain for five months, you have been given a total of eight months - which means you can apply to switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner.

BUT this all hinges on her being granted further permission when she tries to reenter the country from France, and this is by no means guaranteed.  Even with her prior entry clearance, it will be evident that she won't be returning to the US, that she doesn't have ties to the US, that she actually intends on settling in the UK, and so she really doesn't qualify as a visitor.  It seems very likely that she will be refused entry.  

Frankly, TheGlovner, this may sound harsh, but you are not the only couple that has faced these issues.  This forum is full of people who have had to compromise or adjust their wedding plans to suit the UK's immigration laws, and this plan of yours to switch from a CoA to FLR(M) smacks of an attempt to circumvent the laws that the rest of us all had to follow.  Just saying "we did it this way because we needed so much time to plan the wedding" doesn't cut it, in my opinion.  A lot of us would have liked that much time to be in the UK and plan our weddings, but the laws don't allow for it.  

ETA: That said, I hope things work out for you, so in answer to your latest questions, applications from outside the UK to a UK consulate don't have an interview requirement, and might only take a week if you are very organized and have a courier.  The electronic form can be filled out before she leaves, then she can have her biometrics and mail her docs on the same day. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:04:21 PM by historyenne »

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
Ask for your money back on that CoA - they've stopped charging as of 09 April 2009 and may be willing to refund.  Check my signature line and search at that web-site for lots of useful info.

UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

Sponsored Links