Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Telemarketers  (Read 1417 times)

• Liked: 0
Telemarketers
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
What is the protocol for telemarketers in the UK?  If they call and you ask them to remove your number from their list, are they legally obliged?

We have been getting calls from the same political organisation every day and when I asked them to remove us from their list tonight, the guy got a bit funny and said he got my husbands name from the Electoral Register.  It was as if that made it OK to call us each evening. 

Thanks!

• Liked: 2
Re: Telemarketers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »
What is the protocol for telemarketers in the UK?  If they call and you ask them to remove your number from their list, are they legally obliged?

Yes they are. You can also register your mumber with TPS http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
which should stop unsolicited calls.

• Liked: 36
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »
Hi Karin,

Yes, absolutley they are required to stop calling you if you've specifically requested it. As Britwife has given you the link I'm sure you can take a look there for further info. I think I posted this before on a similar thread, If they persist, say

"I've requested you to stop calling me which you have to do legally, as you are continuing to call me, I need to have your name, your company address and managing directors personal contact details so that I may engage my solicitor to sue your company"

that Should do the trick! if it still continues, you have their details and feel free to write them a letter explaining you're going to sue. Then it should definitley stop! if not - then the MD of the company is a plank! sue him/her for having no operational brain cells !

Cheers! DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
Thanks for the link and will be registering our number to block unsolicited calls.

But it's not a company....it's one of the two major political parties.  The local branch of the party.  They just made it seem like since they got my husbands name and number from the Electoral Role that they had the right to call.  Do you think the link applies to this type of call?

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the link and will be registering our number to block unsolicited calls.

But it's not a company....it's one of the two major political parties.  The local branch of the party.  They just made it seem like since they got my husbands name and number from the Electoral Role that they had the right to call.  Do you think the link applies to this type of call?

They still have to take you off their list.  We had a thing with one of the (local) major political parties a few years ago.  It was before an election and they wanted to speak with my husband since I didn't vote and they kept coming back EVERY night to my house at tea time when he was still at work.  I had little kids at the time and I asked them to stop coming and they got funny and refused - said the same thing about electoral role, etc.  And I phoned the local party chairman and really complained.  They've never been back.  So, get tough.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:09:01 PM »
Cool...thanks Mindy.  I will get tough...because at this stage of pregnancy getting off the sofa to answer the damn phone is a HUGE effort.  haha.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:53:06 AM »
Cool...thanks Mindy.  I will get tough...because at this stage of pregnancy getting off the sofa to answer the damn phone is a HUGE effort.  haha.

Man! I'd point out that it's sort of counterproductive of them to keep irritating you! What do they expect? Your husband is going to say "Oh, you harassed my pregnant wife and oh yeah! I'm definitely going to vote for you! Thanks!" ??? Strange tactic I'd say! I hope you get it solved soon!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »
They absolutely have to take you off their database, and should have done by now if you have already asked. 

I suggest quoting back to them the Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) (Direct Marketing) Regulations 1998 and informing them that, if they call you once more, you will report them to the Data Protection Registrar, the Electoral Commission AND the local press.

That should do the trick!

[as an aside, I hope everything is going well with the pregnancy]

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
I have a similar problem. Even though I've added our number to the database over a year ago, I still get these stupid CONGRATULATIONS YOU WON A CRUISE TO FLORIDA!!!!! robocalls. If there was a person on the other side, I could at least get the satisfaction of telling them where to go, when they wake me up at 7am, but as it is, I must do with slamming the phone down really hard.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
Getting your name from the electoral register is no get-out clause, nor is being a political or non-profit organization.  If you ask the organization concerned to stop calling you, they are oblliged to comply.   

As well as the Telephone Preference Service, there is also a Facsimile Preference Service if you are receiving a lot of junk fax calls:

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/fps/

Even though I've added our number to the database over a year ago, I still get these stupid CONGRATULATIONS YOU WON A CRUISE TO FLORIDA!!!!! robocalls.

One problem is that a lot of these junk calls are made from overseas, so the TPS "do not call" rules aren't applicable or enforceable.   

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
Research calls are exempt from TPS so political organisations might be able to get away with calling you if they position their phone calls as research.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
Research calls are exempt from TPS so political organisations might be able to get away with calling you if they position their phone calls as research.

Although TPS exempts "market research" calls - which is a bit of a crock anyway - the organization concerned should still put your number on its "do not call" list if you specifically request that (and regardless of whether or not you are already registered with TPS).
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
I know the kind of calls Karin is getting...I used to make them!  And if they are not covered by TPS they are covered by the Electoral Commission, and the Data Protection Registrar.

Vicky

• Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »
Back in the US, many political campaigns have had hard times calling me.
Ahh...especially at dinner time...
Telemarketer: "Can we count on you to vote for (Joe) this election?"
Me: "Not anymore.  You called me, someone not affiliated with your party*, while I was eating dinner.  (Joe) just lost the chance for my vote.  Thank you and your welcome."  (hang up)
I never got a call again from them.  Junk mail, on the other hand, increased.  Oh, and I also do similar things with Mormons, Hare Krishnas, Jehovah's Witnesses, and other proselytizers...except that I have a few degrees in comparative religion, so I have more fun with these folks.  I once tried to convince Mormons that I was trying my hardest for a good suicide (as a really bad reading of Jainism as if they'd know!).

* I know this is a fact since I am not registered with any political party.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
Next time your husband gets a letter from the Electoral Register to confirm information make sure he ticks / unticks the box stating he wants his information to be published on the "Edited Register".  Not unticking this box will open the door for the Register to sell his details on to marketing companies etc...  This applies to both by post and telephone, although if your number is registered with TPS this should deter it.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab