Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Easy 4 single Americans to get work permit in UK?  (Read 1950 times)

• Liked: 0
Easy 4 single Americans to get work permit in UK?
« on: January 27, 2003, 07:24:38 PM »
I am a single American who wishes to go to school for cosmetology in London and then work in a London salon.  I've done some research on-line and realize that the employer would have to apply for my work permit.  My question is this: is it true that only upper level or uniquely skilled positions are considered for work permits?   If so, does that mean a position like I will be pursuing won't even be considered for a work permit?  I may study at the Aveda Institute in New York City, and since there is an Aveda salon in London who only hires Aveda trained people, perhaps that would be considered uniquely skilled?  I know I need to ask Aveda more about this, and I since I just discovered the uk-yankee site, read more about the topic from all the links posted here, but if anyone knows of Americans who HAVE successfully been able to work in the UK with a work permit at a position that was NOT upper level or uniquely skilled, please let me know.   I'd like to know if there's hope for my dream of working/living in London or if I'm being unrealistic.  

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: Easy 4 single Americans to get work permit in
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 08:39:28 PM »
There is an Aveda Institute in London.  You may want to contact them directly with your questions.

http://www.aveda.com/grow/inst_schools/london/default.html

Good luck!
Stephanie

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 11:30:24 PM »
Hiya,
Its almost impossible to get a work permit for stylist jobs...I was a hairstylist in the states and applied for tons of jobs here....I was offered tons of under the table positions but was told that unless I was hired in upper management of the salon I would have no chance at a work permit...I gave up on the salon and pursued other avenues...I don't want to discourage you but its very difficult...I had finally found someone to sponsor me and the work permit was turned down because the HO said they didn't consider the position to be one that warranted a work permit...I am now a student in a computer course and am able to work part time as a student...
Just a funny side note:  Hairstylist is a shortage occupation in Australia and they are begging for them, its a surething as far as wp's go...If only it were that way here...Another thought I had if the Aveda thing doesn't work out, maybe you could get a salon to apply for a training and work experience permit(TWES) since you would be a trainee...Maybe worth checking out...Good Luck
:)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 08:38:55 PM »
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your reply.  The Aveda Institute in London offers advanced classes only for people who are already in the industry.  I've asked other schools in London about getting work permits and no one seems to be able to give an answer.  

Stephen :)

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 08:46:27 PM »
Miss Scarlett,

Thank you for the helpful information.  

>>>Its almost impossible to get a work permit for stylist jobs...I was a hairstylist in the states and applied for tons of jobs here....I was offered tons of under the table positions<<<

Do a lot of people work those kind of positions?  Is it worth it?

>>>but was told that unless I was hired in upper management of the salon I would have no chance at a work permit...

What training is necessary for upper management, business administration type or something that cosmetology schools offer?  

>>>I gave up on the salon and pursued other avenues...I don't want to discourage you but its very difficult...I had finally found someone to sponsor me and the work permit was turned down because the HO said they didn't consider the position to be one that warranted a work permit...I am now a student in a computer course and am able to work part time as a student...

Wow.  They seem strict, but I suppose they have to be.  Have you ever heard of anyone getting a work permit for this type of position?  

>>>Just a funny side note:  Hairstylist is a shortage occupation in Australia and they are begging for them, its a surething as far as wp's go...If only it were that way here...

Hmmmm... that's good to know.  Not sure if I want to live in Australia, but I'd consider it.

>>>Another thought I had if the Aveda thing doesn't work out, maybe you could get a salon to apply for a training and work experience permit(TWES) since you would be a trainee...Maybe worth checking out...Good Luck

I'll check that out.  Thanks!   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab