Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visiting the UK for 3 months...anything special needed?  (Read 1250 times)

• Liked: 0
Visiting the UK for 3 months...anything special needed?
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:04:29 AM »
Hello again,

I have one question regarding staying over in the UK as a visitor for 3 months...basically, this is the first time I am staying for a prolonged period (or a visit longer than 2-3 weeks like I normally do) since I'm done with school am taking time off work in order to visit my boyfriend (UK resident).

I just went over in March and was given another 6 months leave to enter stamp, so technically that would mean I would be covered until September, correct? I am leaving in June and coming back in August.

I wasn't sure if there was anything fancy I needed in order to get through with no problems.  I've been over there 6 times in the last year and never had a problem getting through, sure they are very interested in how we met the more I go over, but I just tell them the truth and they let me on my way.

I figured that having a bank statement this trip and a letter from my employer saying I am returning would be good in addition to my return ticket, and his mother suggested traveler's checks or something with my address on it, and I live at home with my parents at the moment I wouldn't know what type of document to request to show that I reside there (unlike if I was renting or something).  Though my bank statement would usually have my address with it, and I have my license as well.

I really just want to avoid any issues...I don't believe I would have any but since this is my first time coming over for longer than a few weeks I worry! I know it's not the 6 months and I have proof that I am returning, but I didn't know if there was any advice or if I'm just being paranoid! Rather be safe than sorry though!

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:08:12 AM by sergeanttibs »

Re: Visiting the UK for 3 months...anything special needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:14:03 AM »
I think as long as you have a return ticket, proof of sufficient funds and maybe a letter from your employer that will be plenty. I wouldn't really bother with traveler's checks even, since a letter from your employer and a bank statement is more than enough proof of residency in the US.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:29:38 AM »
I agree with Kittenfish...travellers cheques are not necessary, in fact most places will not accept them here and the other places will just cause long delays because they're not frequently used and will most likely end up having a manager sort it out. If you have a visa/mastercard debit card you should be fine just using it at an ATM (cash point). If you're that concerned you can arrange to purchase £'s from your bank before you leave. But as with all kinds of travel, be careful if you intend to carry a large amount of cash.

As far as your previous entry stamp, that will not cover any future planned travel. The stamp you received in March was only good until you left the country. Each time you seek to enter you are re evaluated based on your travel history in & out of the country and if they believe your intent is just as a visitor. If you have frequent trips you could be risking being detained and questioned at length before entry and possibly refused if they believe that your intent is other than as a visitor. Honesty is the best policy and it seems that it's done you well in the past.

Just remember there is an advisory that states that you should not be in the UK more than 6 months in 12 month time frame. If you're really worried a multiple entry visitor's visa valid for 12 months (but remember you cannot use it for more than 6 months in that 12 month period) could possibly make it easier, but defiantly a letter from your employer stating your return to work date and proof of funds by bank statement should be the minimum to get you in for the summer.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
Ah alright, I see what that stamp means now.

So for the advisory, does that have to do with just going over as a visitor? If I went over for the three months as a visitor and then say, a few months later came over with a student visa to study for a couple months, would that go towards that warning? Or because that's a different visa does it not apply?

Well my trips were from March to March regarding 12 months, so I'll be using 3 months up in June, so then that would mean I'd have about another 3 months worth of traveling as a visitor until next June, correct? :-\\\\

Well, I'd hope by then I wouldn't have to be going as a visitor...only time will tell!

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
I stayed 3 months every summer for 4 or 5 years, and never had a problem. Ever. I had my return ticket... I never even brought much money with me, because I could only work while school was in session, which meant I barely had any hours... I just told them that my fiance (and his family) always take care of housing and food... I'm surprised to have read that other people have had a problem with it before!
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:02:15 PM »
Yea I always stay with my boyfriend when I'm there, and they ask what he does and where he lives and how we met etc etc.  I always just had my return ticket, I just thought this time it wouldn't hurt to bring a bit more evidence that I am returning since they seem to get more and more inquisitive! I don't want any surprises really! I usually was able to tell them I was on vacation from school but now I will have graduated, so I'd just tell them that was the case, I took time off work and decided to spend a good bit of time here since I hadn't been able to before.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:39 AM »
I was in a very similar situation to yours last year. I had been going back and forth visiting my boyfriend in the UK for a few weeks here and there. Then in October I decided to stay with him for 2 and a half months. The immigration guy grilled me when I got there but I just told him the truth that I was visiting my boyfriend on vacation and that I had a job to go back to when I went home (I was substitute teaching at the time). They also made me show the paper that had the return flight (make sure you print that out to show them). As long as you tell them you are just visiting for vacation and not to look for work, you should be fine.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
Ah good! Yea last time I went in March she asked to see my return ticket, she wasn't drilling me more than I had been before though but that was the first time I can remember being asked that.  So I always have it on me anyway!

Truth I figured was always best, I know they don't want my life-story unless they ask for it haha.  Since I will have my bank statement and letter from work, I didn't know if I should show them right away or just see how the convo goes.  I don't want them thinking I have a reason to prove them otherwise unless they want proof I am returning!

And I never worry this much, it's just since I'm going for longer than I have before, but I'm glad to hear it worked out for you! Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Ah good! Yea last time I went in March she asked to see my return ticket, she wasn't drilling me more than I had been before though but that was the first time I can remember being asked that.  So I always have it on me anyway!

Truth I figured was always best, I know they don't want my life-story unless they ask for it haha.  Since I will have my bank statement and letter from work, I didn't know if I should show them right away or just see how the convo goes.  I don't want them thinking I have a reason to prove them otherwise unless they want proof I am returning!

And I never worry this much, it's just since I'm going for longer than I have before, but I'm glad to hear it worked out for you! Thanks!

Probably your best bet is to honestly answer the questions they ask you, but don't go overboard and tell them a whole bunch of stuff that they're not asking about. And I wouldn't show them the letters unless they ask for them specifically--they're there just in case you get asked to show proof of ties to the US, so it'd prolly be best to see what they ask when you get there, because they might not ask for them. It's just best to be prepared just in case, and it sounds like you are :)
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:37:14 AM »
Just to let you know that to get a student visa you have to study for more than 6 months, so you can't get a student visa for a couple of months only.

Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:57:04 AM »
Ah thanks Kittenfish! I'll just have that info tucked away and hope I won't need it haha ;)

And andrea- Thanks! Yea I looked into it afterward, and am considering going for a master's as was suggested to me before! I know it will cost a lot but I think it will be worth it, no rush to decide now, I just want to have this vacation to get my head around everything first and have a nice, relaxing time with the bf! :D

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
Just to let you know that to get a student visa you have to study for more than 6 months, so you can't get a student visa for a couple of months only.

Good luck!

Not quite - if you will be studying for more than 6 months then, yes, you must have a visa, but it is possible to study for less than 6 months without applying for a visa in advance of travel.

If you are coming to the UK to study for less than 6 months (i.e. you are doing a short course), you will be issued a 'student visitor visa' at immigration when you land in the UK, as long as you have evidence of being accepted on the course, enough funds to support yourself and the institution you will be studying at fulfills the correct criteria. This is similar to the visa stamp you get when you visit the UK, with the same rules (no work, must leave within 6 months etc.), but it allows you to study short-term.

See here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors#16052814)

and here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/ecgdocs/studentover18flowchart

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Not quite - if you will be studying for more than 6 months then, yes, you must have a visa, but it is possible to study for less than 6 months without applying for a visa in advance of travel.

If you are coming to the UK to study for less than 6 months (i.e. you are doing a short course), you will be issued a 'student visitor visa' at immigration when you land in the UK, as long as you have evidence of being accepted on the course, enough funds to support yourself and the institution you will be studying at fulfills the correct criteria. This is similar to the visa stamp you get when you visit the UK, with the same rules (no work, must leave within 6 months etc.), but it allows you to study short-term.

and here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/ecgdocs/studentover18flowchart

That is what I did when I student taught in the UK. (Though I also was told that it was made easier by the fact that I was not associated with any university there. My school sent over a professor to observe me for a few days... I want that job.)

But I brought a letter, signed by the sponsor for the program, stating where I would be student teaching, contact information, and the fact that I would not be getting any compensation for my work there. The IO was pretty stern with me... never cracked a smile, and just went on and on about the fact that I cannot work here. I said "I know, I understand" about 50 times, and then he stared me down and stamped my passport, still never smiling.

;D I just LOOOOOVE passport control.
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 03:34:56 PM »

Yes, I am aware of this, but the way she posted she said come over on a student visa to study for a couple of months. You can not get a student visa ahead of time for a course less than 6 months, that was my point!

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
Yes, I am aware of this, but the way she posted she said come over on a student visa to study for a couple of months. You can not get a student visa ahead of time for a course less than 6 months, that was my point!

Sorry about that - the way I read your post, I thought you were saying that in order to study in the UK, you had to come for more than 6 months and that it wasn't possible to study at all in the UK for less than 6 months.

so you can't get a student visa for a couple of months only.

This is what confused me, because you can get a student visa for a couple of months only, it's just that it is a different type of student visa (issued to you at the border and not applied for in advance).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab