Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tiny UK bathscreens -- how do people take showers here? Any solutions?  (Read 3641 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi--
This is a question about bathrooms -- and specifically, bathscreens.

I'm hoping to (cheaply) redo our bathroom. (I ripped out the horrible moldy British bathroom carpet first).

My problem:  do full-size sliding bathtub doors (called 'bathscreens' here) exist in Britain?  I havent found them.

Most people here have 'bathscreens' which barely are 1/3 the length of the tub. I honestly dont understand how people take showers here, without cowering in the corner so water doesnt splash on the floor.   >:( My husband thinks I'm crazy, and an American water-waster.

We had a tiny 60cm long bathscreen. I couldnt take a shower without splashing water all over the floor. So I installed a temporary shower curtain rod and curtain. But since the inside of the bath is curved, that didnt really help. 

So I think we're back to looking at getting a new (longer) bathscreen.
Any ideas?

The longest bathscreen I've seen is 950mm long. Thats not long enough for me. The Bathstore does have one screen where you can buy two, and pretend its a double screen-- but there's no mechanism in the middle for sealing or opening it.

I can't seem to find the answer on any website -- and people in B&Q, Wickes, and the Bathstore all looked at me like I was crazy when I asked.

Thanks!

• Liked: 6
I've never seen ones that go the full length of the bathtub, but I did find one on Argos that seems to be a bit longer than ones you've found.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001501/partNumber/8306218.htm
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Liked: 3
My parents had sliding doors that did full length of the whole bath, but they had those fitted in the 1980's, not sure if still available.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

How about a shower curtain?

We just use a shower curtain. It works. Put a bath mat down and shower.x

count me in on the shower curtain train...all the houses/flats I've lived in here have had curtains, not screens.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Liked: 1
Both B&Q and Homebase and other DIY stores sell curved bath rods that hang from the ceiling allowing you to hang two curtains in such a manner that will keep your floor dry.  Opt for a higher end model to make it look nicer and for stability.

I can't say that I have seen too many shower screens fitted in the US  to curved baths either but maybe I am missing something?

Your other option would likely be to ring a glazier or someone that does bathrooms and have them custom fit something, but that is expensive. 

Or move to France where in some cases you won't have either a screen or a curtain! ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:15:26 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

It's all about the position of the showerhead (and we have a small tea towel to wipe up any accidental water spray). Just try different positions (high, low and left to right) with the showerhead and you should find that you won't have any problems.

• Liked: 12
DD has a "shower" in her London flat -- which is a hose thing covered in metal coil.  No shower curtain or otherwise.  So all its good for is rinsing your hair when you're in the bath.  ::)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
The title of this thread cracks me up!  ;D
We have one of those partial doors you are on about, but it doesn't seem to spray water on the floor if the shower head is positioned correctly (that doesn't necessarily mean aiming it in the corner and cowering there, just angling it a tiny bit toward the opposite wall usually helps). I thought it was pretty strange at first, but it hasn't been too hard to get used to. And it's nicer when taking a bath because you can just push the door outwards and have an open tub, without feeling fenced in by a sliding shower door.
Or, just try to hang some shower curtains around the tub, if you want full coverage.

I don't know what I'd do without the rod for the shower curtain -- that's where I hang things after I iron them (yea, I iron) so they don't get mashed in the closet.  And I hang things like drippy washcloths, spider plants that just got watered, etc. etc.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
I don't know what I'd do without the rod for the shower curtain -- that's where I hang things after I iron them (yea, I iron) so they don't get mashed in the closet.  And I hang things like drippy washcloths, spider plants that just got watered, etc. etc.

Your rod must be firmly afixed to the wall. I learned from experience that the ones that aren't tend to collapse when you swing from them... oops, I mean hang things on them!  :P

Lol, just angle the shower head until you no longer splash water about. That is just strange, I mean from a logical standpoint it doesn't seem to make sense, it's like if you went to a country where umbrellas were only 1/3 of the way around and a native said "oh, just position the piece where there is cover so that it blocks the rain". Oh man, I can't wait to stumble upon all these little idiosyncracies of the UK  ;D .
5/22/09: Completed and submitted online application for UK Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer
5/26/09: Biometrics done
6/1/09: Visa application package sent to courier in LA next day air.
6/2/09: Application received by courier, and reviewed.
6/3/09: Submitted to consulate in the AM
6/3/09: Courier called in the PM to let me know the visa was approved!
7/31/09: Leaving for London to arrive the morning of 8/1

The British are very good at muddling through!   ;D
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

Sponsored Links