Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Terminally Ill Lockerbie Bomber Released  (Read 3610 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: UK: Terminally Ill Lockerbie Bomber Released
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:58:09 PM »
I was watching something on channel 4 news about this a few days ago. I forget who the woman was trying to defend this  but she kept emphasising he has an appeal under way and could not seem to see that was irrelevant!

This guy, Ronnie Biggs, who next? the Yorkshire Ripper?

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
"Our justice system demands that judgment be imposed but compassion available," MacAskill said. "Our beliefs dictate that justice be served but mercy be shown."

How about showing him the same amount of mercy he showed to the passengers of Flight 103? 
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
The view of the British government is that 270 innocent lives are expendable in the face of lucrative oil contracts for British Petroleum.  Sad day for justice indeed.  I just hope there is a Hell, and that wicked Mr. Al-Magrahi becomes very familiar with it after he expires.
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
I agree.  You do the crime, you do the time, and I don't care if you get cancer in jail, you're staying in there.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
I agree.  This is extremely disappointing.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
It's shocking. He hasn't even been in prison that long.  It's one thing when someone commits heinous acts and serves 25 or more years and is let out for compassionate reasons.  It's another to let someone out who has only spent 11 days per life he took.

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
It's shocking. He hasn't even been in prison that long.  It's one thing when someone commits heinous acts and serves 25 or more years and is let out for compassionate reasons.  It's another to let someone out who has only spent 11 days per life he took.

That's a frightening statistic.

I'm confused about why he was actually tried in Scotland. It would seem that since it was a PanAm flight that he should've been tried in the US.  ???

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
From what I understand, it was an agreement reached during Clinton's presidency.  However, he was also supposed to stay in for life.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
That's a frightening statistic.

I'm confused about why he was actually tried in Scotland. It would seem that since it was a PanAm flight that he should've been tried in the US.  ???

The crime happened in Scotland.  Think of it another way, someone in a Volswagen may hit me but it doesn't go to court in Germany.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »
The crime happened in Scotland.  Think of it another way, someone in a Volswagen may hit me but it doesn't go to court in Germany.

I can see that point, but it was an American plane from London to NY.

The only reason why it was tried in Scotland, apparently, was because it was a neutral venue.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
Not quite.  It was tried by the Scottish authorities becuse that was the correct legal standing - as the actual crime (the blowing up and crash) took place over Scotland.  The trial actually took place in the Netherlands, as it was considered neutral.  But again, the trial was completely under Scottish authorities even in the physical Netherlands location.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
Not quite.  It was tried by the Scottish authorities becuse that was the correct legal standing - as the actual crime (the blowing up and crash) took place over Scotland.  The trial actually took place in the Netherlands, as it was considered neutral.  But again, the trial was completely under Scottish authorities even in the physical Netherlands location.

Ah, I misunderstood that.

• British and Texan (and ape)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
I agree.  You do the crime, you do the time, and I don't care if you get cancer in jail, you're staying in there.

I said this almost verbatim to a bleating heart colleague today.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »
Eh, I am probably a bleeding heart, but this is something different.  This move seems cynical on the UK government's part. 

It seems that Brits aren't united in the idea that it was time for this guy to be sent home.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab