Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Citizen/ US Resident Pay US Taxes While In UK  (Read 1266 times)

UK Citizen/ US Resident Pay US Taxes While In UK
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
This may be covered somewhere in here, so forgive me if I bring it up again.

My husband is from the UK and has US residency/UK citizenship.  We will file our 2009 taxes  for any work done in the US this year.  If my husband does not work in US next year, rather takes his job in Britain and resumes life there, does the IRS still expect him to pay taxes for money earned while working in UK?  He saw a thread on Brit Ex-pats website and is wondering if that is correct information.

Also, I am a US citizen coming to the UK.  If, by chance, I get employed over there next year, will I be required to pay income tax to the US as well?

Thanks in advance for your input!

• Liked: 4
Re: UK Citizen/ US Resident Pay US Taxes While In UK
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »
US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income.  You will usually get a tax credit for having paid taxes in a foreign country.  If you work in the UK, you usually pay enough in UK taxes to end up not owing anything to the US.  You still must file your taxes, no matter where you live and work, unless you earn less than the filing requirement.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »
I can't say I'm sure what the requirement is for a non-US citizen who is a US resident.  If he ceases to become a US resident and does not earn any income there, I would think he wouldn't have anything to do with US taxes, but I'm not certain.  Logic often doesn't apply when it comes to taxes.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:07:23 PM »
The US taxes it's citizens on Worldwide income. There is the foreign income exclusion of $87,500 (I think that's the figure) anything over that you gotta pay Uncle Sam.

Check out Publication 54 for more details: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
I can't say I'm sure what the requirement is for a non-US citizen who is a US resident.  If he ceases to become a US resident and does not earn any income there, I would think he wouldn't have anything to do with US taxes, but I'm not certain.  Logic often doesn't apply when it comes to taxes.

I would guess the same as well.

I was working in the US as a grad student last year and I was required to file taxes for any days that I was in the US on my student visa in 2008 (I was there from January-August 2008, so I filed US taxes this year). However, it is my understanding that I will not have to file taxes for 2009 or any subsequent year as I will not have spent any time in the US on a visa during those years (unless I live in the US again on a new visa in the future).

Sponsored Links