Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any two-American couples here who moved to the UK? Advice needed  (Read 2466 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any two-American couples here who moved to the UK? Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 12:37:10 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words and support!  After a lot of thought and discussion, we're most likely going to stay in the U.S. for now.  The biggest factor is career.  Buster started a new job recently, which looks promising. 

For me, the long-term career prospects are much stronger in Los Angeles than London.  I'm very fortunate to have the position that I do.  I'm at the kind of company where people spend their entire careers; a very stable place.  I'm appreciated and well-compensated.  It's a great company the likes of which are hard to find in today's job market.  However, the London office is the exception to the rule.  Turnover in my department there is ridiculously high and it is VERY unstable.  There is only one person still in that department that was there five years ago (the boss).  By way of contrast, only one person has left my department in Los Angeles in the last five years. 

I would basically be giving up a pretty secure future here and rolling the dice in London.  While I did very much enjoy living in London, the work part of it was quite a challenge. 

We're too risk averse to pull up and go at this point in my life.  It makes me very sad to say that though.   :( The more time that goes by the more I know I would like to return to the UK, but the circumstances just don't seem right at this point.

Mark 

• LA to London - Woo hoo!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any two-American couples here who moved to the UK? Advice needed
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 07:43:37 PM »
Caught you!  Heehee, didn't realize hubs was posting last night.  Yes, I did just start a new job.  And I worry terribly about Mark working for his (crazy) boss in that kind of environment.  But darn it, I really miss London!  Interestingly, I've been missing it terribly this week.  I think part of that is that I did just start a new job - my old job was insane, and really consumed me, so I didn't really have the time or energy to miss London.  Now that I'm in a more normal environment, I can take a little time to stop and think about what I'm missing out on.  That and the weather here has been kind of overcast the last few days, which I think has also prompted me to be a little "homesick" for the UK.   :\\\'( 

Of course, looking at the Foxtons listings has helped a bit - ouch, I can't imagine having to look for a flat now.  I keep telling hubby that because his boss has a tendency to drive people out of his department in London, openings will pop up over there at least once a year, so we can always revisit moving back!

Sponsored Links