Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any two-American couples here who moved to the UK? Advice needed  (Read 2467 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Hi, my wife and I returned to the US about a month ago after seven months living in London.  We went there for a temporary assignment for my job.  We had some trouble adjusting for the first month or two, but by the end we had really grown to love it.  The ride on the Gatwick Express when we were leaving was incredibly sad.  Who would have thought that a place like the Battersea Power Station would come to have sentimental value? 

We have slotted back into our lives in Los Angeles very quickly.  It has been very nice to see friends and family, and to be back in our house, which provides much more space and comfort than our flat in London.  However, we both really miss London.  We made a few friends, but not a huge number, so it's not quite that.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it's a combination of being able to walk so many places, see so many things, be in the center of everything, enjoy the history, character, culture, etc.  We never tired of London and I don't think we ever would.  Living in Los Angeles we really just go in a car from place to place and never get to see what's inbetween.  It can be quite isolating.   You may think I'm crazy, but we loved riding buses and the tube.  (I've been a tube freak my whole life).

We were fortunate enough to be in a company flat that was only a 5-minute walk from my office near Victoria.  I know it's not really realistic to think we could buy a place so centrally located.  But our house in the US has appreciated quite a bit and we could buy a flat in a fairly central location, or a house somewhere farther out.  A friend just bought in Dulwich and is encouraging us to look there.   Of course that would mean riding the train to work, and I certainly heard enough complaints about commuting via train while I was in London!

My company's London office is looking for someone to fill the position I had when I was there.  The boss always begged me to stay, but we said we had to come home.  I would imagine it wouldn't be hard to arrange a transfer, although it could involve a pay cut and my long term career possibilities in the London office won't be quite as open as in LA.  My wife didn't work while we were in London, and she has returned to a job she hates here in Los Angeles.  I don't know how easy it would be for her to get a job in London, as the employer would have to sponser her for a work permit.  That being said, she's an American lawyer, and there do seem to be lots of American lawyers in the City. 

Most of the Americans on this board seem to have moved to the UK for love, because of a partner, etc.  I'm wondering if there are any couples where both partners are American, and who both decided they wanted to move to the UK because that's where they would rather be.  Are we just crazy? 

We have both lived in Los Angeles our entire lives (with the exception of 3 years I spent in London as a small child).  But it's not as though this was our first time seeing somewhere else.  We have travelled more than anybody we know, and also travelled extensively on weekends while based in London.  Before we moved there a friend told us "if there's anybody who would make the most of this opportunity, it's you two."   Another person from LA got shipped out to London at the same time I did, and has had the opposite experience.  She can't wait to get back to the US.  I keep telling her how jealous I am that she's still there, and she thinks I'm nuts. 

I'm really just looking for some advice, or someone to say that I really am crazy, or anything.   :)

My London boss will be in LA next week, so if I do want to come back, that would be a good time to start discussions. 

Mark

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Any two-American couples here who moved to the UK? Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 04:58:21 PM »
I am one of the ones who came here for love (my husband is British) - but I would say that having read your post you already know you want to make the move.  And if you have the opportunity, take it!  ;D

I know - I tend to oversimplify things sometimes... ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 05:04:02 PM »
Yeah.. what Peedal said :)

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 05:10:13 PM »
Go for it, what have you got to lose?   :) 

Off topic, I know, but a couple of years ago I read an interview with Jon Bon Jovi, and he talked about how he and his family lived in London for a year to film a movie, and they really really loved it and missed it when they moved back to NJ. Your post just made me think of that.    :)

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 05:40:19 PM »
My partner and I both moved here from the US. Originally I was transferred here on a work permit and then I brought the other half over from the US. Do we regret it? I don't, after being here since 1996 and taking British citizenship etc. I think my partner is not always as happy with living in the UK, particularly London, but I think that has something to do with the fact that he doesn't enjoy the pace of London, per se. I think there are other places in the UK where he would be happier. Does he want to go back to the US? I ask this question from time to time, and the answer is always no. I think it may be a touch of schizophrenia. ;)

I do enjoy spending time in the US, which I don't do so often, but I find that to some extent I have grown away from it, and I am continually amused by people asking me whether I am English. (I suppose the accent has rubbed off a little, but not enough for me not to be recognizable as an American!).

I think that if you want to come to the UK, you should do it, especially if the opportunity is there for you. What some wouldn't give to be in your position and have that choice!

By the way: In the UK, if you have a work permit and your spouse comes over as your dependent the spouse IS allowed to work. This is the way it worked for us and everyone else I know in this situation.  In other words, you need have only one work permit holder per family.

I hope this is helpful.

I also look at it this way: flights to the US are cheap and plentiful... but this is home now.

Michael

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 08:08:07 PM »
I don't have any specific advice for you Mark but just wanted to say really glad you liked it that much here and WHEN you do make it back we will show you two those Hampstead pubs like we promised ...

Having said that good luck with it all, having spent some time here you are in a good position to figure out the pros and cons. 

• Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 08:29:09 AM »
I'll second (or third) what Peedal said...it's obvious that you want to be here...so come on over!   ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:22:18 PM »
My Husband and I are here in the UK because of a job opportunity for him.  (We didn't come here FOR love, but we still have it ;D).

There is something to be said about people who can leave their 'comfort zone' and actually open themselves up to new experiences, new people, and new way of life.  You stayed for seven months, and I bet you'd find after 2 years there would still be new experiences... you are not crazy, you are an adventurer who's not done exploring  (I am not really trying to be corny, it's just coming out that way)!

We both will be taking pay cuts, too--not to mention the increase in the cost of living-- to stay here, but we feel it is worth it.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 11:02:26 PM »
Mark,
We're not a 2 American couple (wife is British) but we lived in Virginia for 3 years before the move to the UK 2 years ago.  She was eager to get back because of things you mentioned, the ability to walk around, public transportation availability and not having to drive everywhere and to be able to see places on foot.  Also, she is a big fan of the NHS and doesn't like the thought of having to pay lots of money for potential healthcare problems.  I wanted to move to the UK, thought it would be a great adventure and wanted to support her decision.  So far we're loving it although we did love a lot of things about the US and I honestly feel like we could move back there at one point in the future.

Going on what you've said, it sounds like you really enjoyed your time here and want to come back.  I'm sure your wife could get a job as you have a work visa.  London may be expensive but there are places in the Greater London area that are not astronomically priced.  Funnily enough, my wife lived her first 9 years in Dulwich and I understand it's gone through a lot of gentrification and is meant to be very nice.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

• Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 12:24:00 AM »
You aren't crazy.  My BF and I (both Americans) are moving to the UK soon.  September for my and November for him.  Neither of us even got transfered or anything, I actively sought a job over there, so that I would have a way to move to the UK.

I agree with everyone else.  You obviously want to go back.  Quit asking us if your crazy and just do it.   [smiley=mad.gif]

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
I moved over here by myself, knowing not a single person, for my job in London.  And I couldn't be happier.  It's early yet (just 12 days in) but I can't imagine that I'll do anything other than grow to love it.  I too love the tube & bus system (used it in Boston and here is cleaning!)...love the parks, the accents, etc.  I don't think you are crazy at all...I'm here on a 2-yr (at least) contract without ever having lived here before...come on over!

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 11:58:09 PM »

Most of the Americans on this board seem to have moved to the UK for love, because of a partner, etc.  I'm wondering if there are any couples where both partners are American, and who both decided they wanted to move to the UK because that's where they would rather be.  Are we just crazy? 

Mark

We moved here in Oct. 2002 simply because we wanted an adventure.  DH sought out and was offered a position with the UK branch of his company (US owned company.) He got the job, work permit, we (DS and I) got our visas, etc.  I have no restrictions on working, the only restriction on my 'Work Permit Dependent' Visa is "no recourse to public funds."

We love it here! Have been here for nearly 2 years, plan on staying about 2 more. I know many people in London (2-American couples) who have decided to live in the UK permanently. It's actually more common than you think.

Go for it! Good luck and all that.
Stephanie

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 09:06:27 AM »
Come back!!! Come back!!!! The only reason I don't live in London is I can't afford to live in a nice area--I lived there for 6 months but was way out in the boonies (AKA Leytonstone, haha) and find that I prefer leafy Warwickshire--but if I had the means to stay in a nicer area (like  St. John's Wood, Liane  :P) ) I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

What are you waiting for!

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 07:33:10 PM »

I dont think your crazy at all. My wife and I want to move to the UK simply because that's where we want to be. We are ready for new challenges and adventures. and, I love English football. :)

• Global Funk Radio
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 07:45:43 PM »
I want to move back as well!!  It's funny because my husband is English, and I'm the one itching to move back to England!!!  He's scared that we won't be able to get a house or find a place to live, and also, moving the cats and household items there.  I want to be back in that lovely weather, long holidays, lovely parks etc...  I wish I had answers for him but I myself wouldn't know the first step to moving back.   :\\\'(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab