Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Filing Taxes (was: The legalities of being an American in Britain)  (Read 1396 times)

• Liked: 0
Filing Taxes (was: The legalities of being an American in Britain)
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
Ok so I am moving to the Uk to join my fiance in London in December.  This year 2009, will be the last year I will make any money in the US.  I plan to file my yearly income tax as soon as I get my W-2, usually get it in February.  FYI, I live in Texas..always have.  

My question is:

Once I move across the pond, all my earning will be in the UK, none what so ever in the US.  I have no property, nothing will be left in the US.  Should I still file every year with the US government my earning in the UK?  That would start in my 2010 tax return i guess...since this year i earned in the states.  My income in the UK will not be much, probably around 30,000 dollars..thats way less in pounds.  

I guess I should just keep filing every year? But will I have to pay in??  I dont want to get taxed in two places?  This is all so mind boggling lol.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:56:48 PM by Mindy »

• Liked: 5
Re: The legalities of being an American in Britain
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
Ok so I am moving to the Uk to join my fiance in London in December.  This year 2009, will be the last year I will make any money in the US.  I plan to file my yearly income tax as soon as I get my W-2, usually get it in February.  FYI, I live in Texas..always have.  

My question is:

Once I move across the pond, all my earning will be in the UK, none what so ever in the US.  I have no property, nothing will be left in the US.  Should I still file every year with the US government my earning in the UK?  That would start in my 2010 tax return i guess...since this year i earned in the states.  My income in the UK will not be much, probably around 30,000 dollars..thats way less in pounds.  

I guess I should just keep filing every year? But will I have to pay in??  I dont want to get taxed in two places?  This is all so mind boggling lol.  Thanks!

You will need to continue to file a tax return.  This doesn't mean you pay tax in the US though.  There are tons of threads on this in the Tax Section.

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
Re: Filing Taxes (was: The legalities of being an American in Britain)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
I have a secondary question to the tax issue. My spouse moved to the US on a fiance visa and we then got married. We plan to leave and move back to the UK prior to his 10 greencard expiring.  He does not plan on taking the citizenship test in the US.  Once we move back to the UK is he required to file with the IRS or is it just my information if I find work over in the UK? ???

Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

• Liked: 102
Re: Filing Taxes (was: The legalities of being an American in Britain)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:45:52 PM »
You say that he has a green card. As such he is a US resident for tax purposes until the green card is abandoned.

If he never files an I-407 he'll have to file taxes, FBARs etc for ever...

Sponsored Links