Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Salary Deductions in the UK?  (Read 1639 times)

• Liked: 0
Salary Deductions in the UK?
« on: July 24, 2004, 11:46:13 AM »
I am seeking employment in the UK (for the first time) and am wondering what deductions will be taken out of my salary.  I understand the income tax bands so I have that under control.  I know that I will have to pay into the UK's version of social security but how much and how is that amount determined?  So, other than income tax and UK social security are there any other deductions...like medical???
Thanks.

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Salary Deductions in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 03:18:41 PM »
As far as I know the only thing taken out of your paycheck is income tax and national insurance. Depending on what benefits your company offers you may get other things take out like pension or medical. I'm sure you already know this but England has the NHS which is free medical. So you don't have to have medical insurance, however some people do get it so they can have 'private medical' such as Bupa (which is supposed to be better because it's not government run).

Personally I only have income tax and national insurance taken out. I don't need a pension as I won't be in the country long enough to use it and I'm happy enough with the NHS to not want private medical.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 06:32:10 PM »
Ashley,
Do you know what percent of your income is taken out for national insurance?  And is national insurance the UK's version of social security?
Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 04:32:49 PM »
This site will tell you what deductions will apply

http://www.listentotaxman.com/

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 09:03:53 AM »
www.taurus.ie/tax is another PAYE (pay as you earn) calculator.

enter 474L as your tax code if you'll be working without a national insurance number (as most of us do in the beginning, for a little while at least)

i believe that 461L is the standard code, so enter that to see how much you'll be bringing home once you have your NIN sorted

as far as i know, we're taxed at 10% for the first 2020 pounds and 22% for everything above that (and 40% if you make a lot more, but i can't remember the amount for that!)   :)

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 03:10:39 PM »
I believe that 461L is the standard code, so enter that to see how much you'll be bringing home once you have your NIN sorted

as far as i know, we're taxed at 10% for the first 2020 pounds and 22% for everything above that (and 40% if you make a lot more, but i can't remember the amount for that!)   

The 461L is because the first £4610 or thereabouts is tax free.Tax in this country is so complicated as I discovered when we started fostering.
Much to my delight I found we could earn £23000 without paying any tax at all.This is composed of a £10000 a year lump sum allowance and £200 per week allowance for children up to age 11,and £250 a week allowance for children older than 11.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 09:27:03 AM »
Thanks for the website...it is a huge help.  What about if I work for an American company here in the UK...can I still contribute to a 401k?  If so, that will also reduce my taxable income as well.
Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:34:26 PM »
Thanks for the website...it is a huge help.  What about if I work for an American company here in the UK...can I still contribute to a 401k?  If so, that will also reduce my taxable income as well.
Thanks.

If the company offers the 401K I don't see why you can't.  The person to ask about UK and US taxes is Helen on our tax board. That girl has all the facts as she's a qualified account in both US and UK taxes.  :)

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 12:57:04 PM »
Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but I think this depends on if you are going to the UK as an expat or as a local.  If you are going as an expat, you will have US benefits and you should be able to contribute to a 401k.  I you go as a local, your company may give you an option to have US type benefits or UK benefits.  If you choose UK benfits, you will not have access to a 401k and if you choose US type benefits, you should. 

I am in the same boat, I have to decide before I start in September, if I want UK or US benefits when I move to London.  Both seem to have their pros and cons, but as a dual UK/US citizen, it is still hard to figure out which one will be more tax efficient.

bvamin

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 03:12:44 PM »
I have been doing some research on this topic because I am currently interviewing with two US companies in London.  The best option is to pay US taxes ONLY if your company will hire you as an expat (which is very expensive for the company).  The second best option is to pay only UK taxes.  The absolute worst option is to pay both US and UK taxes. 

I am a US citizen in the UK because my husband's job brought us here....so I am hoping that I will get hired by a US company and can still contribute to a 401k and pay only UK taxes.  With the foreign tax credit and the foreign earned income exclusion I think they will cancel out all US taxes due.  In my 1st year here I think I can only take the foreign tax credit.  Then the 2nd year I am here (since I will be working 330 days out of the year) I think I can claim BOTH the credit and the exclusion. 

Does anyone know if you can claim both the foreign tax credit and foreign earned income exclusion in the same year?

Oh, I also plan to give Helen a call once I have a job offer to consider  :).

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 06:02:22 PM »

Does anyone know if you can claim both the foreign tax credit and foreign earned income exclusion in the same year?

Oh, I also plan to give Helen a call once I have a job offer to consider  :).

Make sure to ask Helen this. I'm afraid I'm totally clueless with taxes.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab