Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Who am I...?  (Read 5269 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Who am I...?
« on: May 20, 2002, 10:46:37 PM »
Okay, well, here goes.

I live in Florida (hate hate hate hot weather and the beach - go figure).
My boyfriend lives in Essex.
We've known each other 17 years - started as pen pals in our teens (thank you, Smash Hits!).
We've been "involved" for about 2 years now.
Our first meeting was January 2001 - he's been here 4 times and I've been there 3, once with my kids.
I have two sons, ages 8 and almost 14 (1 June).
The plan is for the boys and me to move over there, preferably in the Gravesend/Rochester area of Kent since it's closest to where my BF works (though my boys fell in love with where he lives now - too expensive, though...).

I am looking so forward to moving to England and dropping my "American" way of life (running to an all-night Wal-Mart because I can't seem to plan head; eating at Burger King every other night for the same reason...).  Plan for our move there to be permanent (no plans to return to the States except for visits).  Thrilled that both my boys are excited about the move, except for the obvious things that bother them like not being able to see their grandmother (my mother) all the time.

And I absolutely adore my BF - have no complaints about him at all.  He's the most understanding, honest, passionate, amazing man I've ever known - and to think he's "been there" all the time I was making my mistakes with American guys...oh well!

Onward to the future!! ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
Re: Who am I...?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2002, 10:50:31 PM »
Peedal Rules!!!![/color]
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2002, 10:57:15 PM »
yep thank god there are no walmarts here (at least none that i know of.. anybody seen any?)!

however, McDonalds is *everywhere*, and Burger King is not too far behind.  i mean 6 McDonalds can be within a 6-block radius.  it's absolutely horrid.  but then i'm talking about London.. i don't know about other parts of the UK.

welcome, though!  you & marlespo & i have much in common!  so when will you make the big move?  i just moved over to be with my bf  [smiley=love.gif] in late april.  marlespo will be here in july.
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2002, 11:03:46 PM »
The big move is planned tentatively for October, but might be moved up to late August if money permits!!  My BF really would rather have the boys enrolled in school from the beginning of term, rather than entering after the half-term break.  Thinks it would be easier on them - probably will.

I know what you mean about the Burger Kings, etc.  Even my kids were disgusted to see two Burger Kings DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from each other when we were in London!!  Ugh.  What's worse is sitting by a lovely little fountain in Paris and looking up to see that you're surrounded by Mickey D's, KFC, AND Pizza Hut...aargh!!  Can't we Americans leave ANYTHING alone?!

Hoping my BF will come over 28 June - 10 July - but not sure I even want him to with all these "threats" of another attack.  Another reason I want this move sooner than later, eh? [smiley=anxious.gif]

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2002, 11:08:18 PM »
(no offense to mcDonalds workers everywhere.. including here.. heh..  [smiley=shy.gif])

also forgot to mention the starbucks problem here.  they're everywhere too.  there's about one per block in mayfair, anyway.

i was a bit disappointed at how americanized things are here, but have no fear.. there are plenty of things that will drive home fact that you are indeed in a foreign country.  i am sooooo glad i'm here!
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2002, 11:10:40 PM »
oh no!  not paris too!  sweet god!  [smiley=wreck.gif]

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2002, 11:10:46 PM »
yeah, all the Starbucks in Cambridge were annoying, although as much as I complain about it now, I'm sure that in 6 months when I'm starved for a fix of something American, it's the first place I'll go. :)

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2002, 11:14:39 PM »
I work right above a starbucks.  So i was basically forced to go there for lunch with some co-workers my first day..  i was pleased to see that they do have clearly-marked veggie options at least.  but that seems to be a british thing... i don't really give much credit to starbucks for that.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2002, 11:19:01 PM »
Marlespo, though I can't wait to visit you in Ely, I am NOT going to Cambridge again.  Ugh.  Parking - a nightmare.  And the only places we could find to eat whilst there were in a mall (ack - ack - ack) and it was Burger King and Sbarro's!!!  Horrors!  I was so moritifed I didn't couldn't even bring myself to eat.  Actually, that was a pretty horrid day all around...the only bad one of the whole trip, though.

My BF and I have figured out that we LOVE "cathedral towns" (i.e. Salisbury and Canterbury) but are loathe to visit "university towns" such as Cambridge or Oxford.

And, yes, Paris, too!  You get off the Metro to go to the Arc de Triumphe, and right there is a HUGE add for McDonalds...AARRGH!!

At least most of the fast food places aren't drive-throughs as well!  And they still don't seem to keep the same hours ours do.

(Of course, after all this complaining, I KNOW I'm going to miss Taco Bell...)

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2002, 11:22:31 PM »
Woo hoo! Ely's a cathedral town!

And we'll take you to a nice spot in Cambridge if you like. :) It's not that bad, really! Just need to know your way around. Promise. :)

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2002, 11:23:38 PM »
Our mistake was in not stopping at the first pub we saw...isn't that always the way?! ::)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2002, 11:34:12 PM »
your kids sound like they are pretty tuned in.  most kids see the colors of mcDs/BK/KFC & think wooo!  happy meals!  playground!  mcBathrooms!  well, actually, McDonalds is good for peeing on.   ;D

the McD's etc are usually a bit masked here.. since they are usually not allowed to change the old buildings/architecture around here.  that, at least, is a good thing, no?

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2002, 11:38:07 PM »
and they serve different food. Chicken sandiwches on foccacia bread, and mcFlurry with Cadbury flakes in 'em. Yum!

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2002, 01:12:59 AM »
just wanted to wish you welcome!  

Also hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Walmart bought out Asda years ago (hence all the changes lately).  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :P
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2002, 04:51:49 PM »
NOT going to Wal-Mart!  Or any variation thereof!!!  I'm very happy with Tesco's, actually.  Just have to get used to that closing early on Sunday stuff...

Oh, no.  If McDonald's has ANYTHING with a Flake bar in it, we can't let my oldest know!  He LOVES Flake bars -- took 10 of them home with him from this trip, and must have had about 10 of them during the trip!  Especially loves those "99" cones with the Flake bars stuck in the ice cream!

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab