Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: nervous but successful doctor visit story  (Read 1125 times)

• Liked: 0
nervous but successful doctor visit story
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:36:14 PM »
I know it is silly that I was nervous, especially after all the posts here that say it is not a problem, but I really was worried I would get yelled at, or sternly spoken to, or thrown out when I took my poor sick daughter to a GP today...but it was GREAT! 

I explained that we will be residing here, but the paperwork isn't in, and we are staying at a friend's flat at the moment.  They were very friendly, let us fill a 'temporary' patient form, and gave us an appointment that day!  The doctor was very professional, and she was great with my baby.

It was very weird to walk out of the office and not have to even give a co-pay, or sign a bill. 
They said as soon as we get business mail posted to our adress, to bring it in and they will change us to regular patient, and register us.  (I think that means we will get the NIN)

Re: nervous but successful doctor visit story
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:39:38 PM »
It was very weird to walk out of the office and not have to even give a co-pay, or sign a bill. 
They said as soon as we get business mail posted to our adress, to bring it in and they will change us to regular patient, and register us.  (I think that means we will get the NIN)

Isn't it weird to not pay? I had the same reaction. And I felt like a thief walking out of Boots without paying for birth control pills, too! I know the NHS isn't perfect, but it does have some good things going for it....

NIN, by the way, is not the same thing as an NHS number (which is what you'll get when you register as a regular patient.) NIN is the ID number you have to get in order to work legally and is to do with inland revenue rather than health insurance. Confusing, I know!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: nervous but successful doctor visit story
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 09:18:56 AM »
The first (and only time) I had to pick up a prescription for my oldest son felt SO strange because they just gave it to me and I was able to leave - no money changed hands, no insurance cards were copied.  It was amazing!

As for the Birth Control - I get the Depo shot.  At my appointment I walk in, get the shot, walk out.  Amazing... ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab