Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US taxes  (Read 2514 times)

• Liked: 0
US taxes
« on: February 18, 2003, 01:36:52 PM »
Hi,
I just found this site and i think it's great!
I have a couple tax qustions to ask...

I'm an American, in 2002 I worked the first 4 months in the U.S.  I moved to England in May, married my English wife in June.  I then worked here in England from Oct. through Dec.  
Now I'm trying to figure out how to fill in my tax form.  What am I supposed to do about a S.S. # for my wife who doesn't have one?  Do I file separately and write my wifes name in and just not fill in the S.S. #?
And a question about meeting the physical presence test...Can I count the day's of 2003 to meet the requirments of 330 days present in a foreign country?  If not, does that then mean i will have to pay taxes on my U.K. earnings which I've already been taxed on by the U.K. government?

I'm just hoping I can make this all go smoothly...I don't want to mess anything up and then get into a mess.
Thanks in advance for any info that can be given.

-Bob

Re: US taxes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 06:09:56 PM »
Hi Bob

Let's discuss your wife first of all.  You can elect in 2002 (first year that you are married) to file a joint return with your wife.  This election will allow both of you to be treated as residents for the entire year. To do this she will need a SSN or an ITIN. You can apply for this by filing Form W-7.  If you do make this election, in subsequent years, you and your spouse must file as residents, but can file joint or separate return.  

What you need to consider is whether making this election will give you enough tax benefit to consider it as opposed to filing a "married filing separate" return going forward until such time as your wife either resides in the US or obtains a green card.  Does she work?

In 2002, regardless of what you will decide to do in terms of your wife, you need to file 2555 and 1116 as well as your normal 1040, and the relevant schedules.  The PPT test applies to the first 330 days after the start of your assignment (May 2002). Therefore you can aount the 2003 days in working out your qualifying days.

When working in the UK, you will not pay tax twice (to US and UK government) as you can claim foreign tax credit on your US return for UK taxes paid (Form 1116). So, no need to worry on that score.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need further explanation on any subject or need help in completing your return.

Helen
HT TAX
h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Re: US taxesi
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 05:18:54 PM »
Thank you so much for the info

I've gone to www.irs.gov and downloaded the forms and am going to sit down and figure it all out some more.
I'm happy to have been able to find this site...and you for helping like this.

I'm not really not sure of the any benifit filing either way, I'll probably file married filing seperate. Does that mean my wife doesn't have to get  a SSN or ITIN at the moment?
And also my wife does work a part time job.

thanks
-bob

Re: US taxes
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 06:45:07 PM »
If you are filing "married filing separate" and are ot claiming your wife as a dependent, she does need a SSN or an ITIN.

As your wife is Brit, and does not have any US source income, she does not have a US filing requirement and does not have to report her income to the IRS.

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab