Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 55844 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2005, 07:31:46 PM »
I had a hard time reading through the first part of the book. Halfway through it, though, it got interesting for me and by the end of it I was totally surprised and I thought it was very good. But it took me about a month to read it because I really freaking hated it at first.

But I would recommend it. It's a hard read, though.

I had a difficult time getting into it too, Ashley. By the end I was crying.  A coworker gave it to me because she couldn't get through it. She said the author used too many words to describe something that could have been summed up in many less.  I don't think many people liked it.

Or, if you really must go for a 'Kevin' type book which begs the question, is a psychopath born or bred?, a far better one is 'The Fifth Child'

Oooh! I've never heard of this one, expat. What's it about?
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2005, 10:17:52 PM »
I had a difficult time getting into it too, Ashley. By the end I was crying.  A coworker gave it to me because she couldn't get through it. She said the author used too many words to describe something that could have been summed up in many less.  I don't think many people liked it.

Oooh! I've never heard of this one, expat. What's it about?

It is what 'We Need to Talk about' would be if it were any good.  Written by Doris Lessing, it's the story of a happy family - a couple w/four kids.  Who have a fifth.  REALLY believable. 

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2005, 08:55:16 PM »
I had a difficult time getting into it too, Ashley. By the end I was crying.

Yeah, me too!

And can I just restate here how much I HATE Wuthering Heights. I read it years ago and didn't like it. I saw the movie with Ralph Fiennes and it's just confirmed that I freaking hate the story. All the hate and inhumanity in the characters really bothers me. 
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2005, 10:38:28 PM »
Yeah, me too!

And can I just restate here how much I HATE Wuthering Heights.

You are not alone.  Catherine and Heathcliff really were made for each other - both total gits.  ;D

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2005, 04:49:11 AM »
I HATED, HATED, HATED Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier. I think it is the only book I have ever read that I can truly say that about. IMO, any author who utilizes stream-of-consciousness should be staked to an ant pile with honey coating them!

I strongly dislike anything by Danielle Steel, Stephen King, and (davispigeon, I am a sci-fi lover and a woman) I detest Heinlein!

I absolutely loved Confederacy of Dunces, as did everyone I know. As a native, I agree that it is the quintessential New Orleans novel!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37:09 PM »
Confederacy of Dunces RULES!!!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2005, 07:17:53 PM »
Mua ha ha ha haaaa....

Maybe I should buy The Fifth Child for my youngest brother for xmas...

Seeing as how he's the youngest of five... ;D
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Caution:tastes nothing like a strawberry milkshake
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2005, 01:16:45 AM »
I liked Wuthering Heights even though the characters are damnable :)

Hate:
- Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Madame Bovary (just get angry at these women...dammit)
- Harry Potter (I don't get the hysteria)
- Catcher in the Rye (didn't mean anything to me)
- Much of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy (the first one is an emotional manipulator, the second one goes on and on...)
- Mists of Avalon and similar "bodice-ripper goddess and valiant knight of the magic green stone-type" crap.  Just doesn't seem believable plus most of them just aren't that well-written.
- Thomas Pynchon.  Ok, he's some sort of a genius.   ::)  But have you actually tried to READ his stuff?  Not in this life.
- The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier.  I liked Girl with a Pearl Earring, so I thought I'd read her other novel.  As a result, I found that:  1. Someone's REALLY obsessed with France.  2.  Someone's a one-hit wonder. 

I'm so glad there are GOOD books to compensate for all this....horror  :P
"He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River."

« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
I liked Wuthering Heights even though the characters are damnable :)

Hate:

- The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier.  I liked Girl with a Pearl Earring, so I thought I'd read her other novel.  As a result, I found that:  1. Someone's REALLY obsessed with France.  2.  Someone's a one-hit wonder. 

Exactly my opinion! :D
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Caution:tastes nothing like a strawberry milkshake
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2005, 12:48:04 AM »
HME  ;D :D 8)

"He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River."

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2005, 05:49:27 PM »
I'm reading DaVinci Code right now, because I really wanted to read the book before the movie comes out next year and because everyone kept recommending it. I have to agree with previous posters: it's sh*te. It's dumbed-down to about an 8th grade reading level. But I still plan to finish the book.

As for other books I don't like: There are many where they've started out strong but the ending was so anti-climactic. The most recent I read was Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America."  FANTASTIC book until about the last 2 chapters.

Also I've never understood the appeal of Harry Potter, Stephen King or Anne Rice.
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
"Johnny Got His Gun". 

By far the worst book I have ever read.  Depressing and silly all at once.

« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2005, 07:22:41 PM »
Confederacy of Dunces RULES!!!

Shizzle my nizzle! FanTAStic book!
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2006, 10:06:28 AM »

- Mists of Avalon and similar "bodice-ripper goddess and valiant knight of the magic green stone-type" crap.  Just doesn't seem believable plus most of them just aren't that well-written.

I'm so glad there are GOOD books to compensate for all this....horror  :P

Agree about Mists of Avalon.  and Tracy Chevalier is just a crap writer. I couldn't get through the first 40 pages of Pearl Erring because the writing was so bad.  Ditto about Da Vinci Code!  If the writing's crap, then I can't get past it. 

Also, HATED the Lovely Bones.  the writing was good but the plot was CRAP and in the end, what was the point?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2006, 11:01:43 AM »
Agree about Mists of Avalon.  and Tracy Chevalier is just a crap writer. I couldn't get through the first 40 pages of Pearl Erring because the writing was so bad.  Ditto about Da Vinci Code!  If the writing's crap, then I can't get past it. 

Also, HATED the Lovely Bones.  the writing was good but the plot was CRAP and in the end, what was the point?

Oh, MrsPink -- you and I are going to get on VERY well!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links