Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 55961 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
I'm tempted to watch the movie just to see how they adapted it, in my mind it would last 15 minutes at most and have no plot whatsoever.  The fact that I detest Keira Knightley but love James McAvoy is causing me problems!  ;)

It's my favourite book of all time! And I couldn't stand the movie, to be honest. But that was mostly because, in my opinion, it's a tough book to adapt for the screen. So much of the story is what's going on inside the characters' heads which is pretty impossible to convey in a film.

I'm with you on Keira, though. UGH. She was horrible!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »
I'm tempted to watch the movie just to see how they adapted it, in my mind it would last 15 minutes at most and have no plot whatsoever.  The fact that I detest Keira Knightley but love James McAvoy is causing me problems!  ;)

Exactly how I feel about Keira and James ;D

It's my favourite book of all time! And I couldn't stand the movie, to be honest. But that was mostly because, in my opinion, it's a tough book to adapt for the screen. So much of the story is what's going on inside the characters' heads which is pretty impossible to convey in a film.

I'm with you on Keira, though. UGH. She was horrible!

See and I thought it was adapted so well.  Maybe because I hated it?  I also saw the movie first.  (My husband thought it great, and wanted me to read the book to get a better opinion, it didn't work)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #257 on: December 23, 2008, 04:06:23 AM »
Girl with a Pearl Earring. I'm not sure why this book gets on my nerves, but it so does!

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2008, 04:34:24 AM »
What a great topic!

I'm going to have to say...most hated book of all time: The Kite Runner.

This book was required reading during my senior year of high school for all non-AP Literature students.  I was in AP, so wasn't required to read it (originally), but at the end of the year, my teacher decided to make us read it.  It was the kind of book that all the non-readers LOVED (possibly because of it's simplicity and lack of literary devices, and the fact that it used the 'c-word')...but to me it just seemed like an interesting story happened to a guy, and he wrote it down.  VERY irritating to read for me.  All the way through the book I kept thinking "this would probably make a better movie..."

Unfortunately, by the end of it, I was SO sick of the entire concept that I couldn't bring myself to see the movie.  I wonder if it was any better...

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.  My cousin was really into Russian lit at one time and handed the book to me.  I tried to get through it, but each character has about 6 names and he would refer to them by any combination of those 6 names, so I rarely knew who was saying what.... very confusing, and just not interesting enough for me to muddle through it. 
Put me down as another lover of A Confederacy of Dunces.... one of my all-time faves... it is heart-breaking to know someone so talented didn't live long enough to see how many people really love that book and to write another....

« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2009, 04:29:24 AM »
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. 

Tried that book in Russian. No go. Thought maybe it'd be easier in English. No go. I feel your pain. :)
And if you threw a party

• Blog
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »
Anything of Charles Taylor.  He's a Canadian philosopher.  I like philosophy.  I can say that I've read through two of Kant's three Critiques as well as Hegel.  I can't stand Charles Taylor, especially his 800pp A Secular Age.  On the other hand, Mark Lilla's The Stillborn God covers the same subject (and even cites the same passages!) but does so in nicer packaging.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2009, 02:39:12 AM »
The only book I can think of that I really hate is The Great Gatsby.  I've read it four times, because I keep thinking there must be something I'm missing.  I just don't find any of the characters sympathetic, and don't really give much of a d*mn if they live or die.  I sort of feel the same way about Madame Bovary, except that I can appreciate Flaubert's style even  while loathing his main character.   
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »
Confessions of a Shop-A-Holic...which I'm reading for a book group next month.  A friend of mine was saying she'd heard the series was supposed to be 'a cut above' the standard chick lit genre.  I said if this is a step up, I'd hate to see what the base line was...  :-\\\\  :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
Confessions of a Shop-A-Holic...which I'm reading for a book group next month.  A friend of mine was saying she'd heard the series was supposed to be 'a cut above' the standard chick lit genre.  I said if this is a step up, I'd hate to see what the base line was...  :-\\\\  :P

I want to read it just to see how bad it is!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
I want to read it just to see how bad it is!

It may just be me though & maybe I don't like the genre, IYKWIM?  I'm nearly finished & then you can have it (from me) - send me a PM or text & I'll meet up with you sometime this week, even if it's just dropping by the shop.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »
Not so much a book I can't stand, (although that's bad enough!), but rather its fans: Atlas Shrugged by the dreadful Ayn Rand.

« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
It may just be me though & maybe I don't like the genre, IYKWIM? 

I think that's it exactly.  I simply don't enjoy chick lit of any kind, even the ones that my friends who are fans say is the "good stuff".  I honestly think it's a genre fiction thing.  It's all or none.

« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:04 AM »
Not so much a book I can't stand, (although that's bad enough!), but rather its fans: Atlas Shrugged by the dreadful Ayn Rand.

I liked the book. I liked The Fountainhead too. But I def. don't truck with people who think all of life's wisdom is locked in those pages.

Besides, she wrote Anthem, which in my mind is the worst book ever committed to print.
And if you threw a party

« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2009, 04:49:03 AM »
I liked Anthem...maybe because it was short and my pain reflex hadn't kicked in yet.  So then I read Fountainhead and it started to get very quasi-philosophical and dull.  I think after Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, she stopped fiction writing and focused only on her...thinking...wait a minute while I run to Wikipedia...Objectivism.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~ Teddy Roosevelt

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

Sponsored Links