Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 54766 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2010, 06:25:18 AM »
the only book i've read that I absolutely hated was Mother of Pearl by
Melinda Haynes. I kept reading it because I really wanted it to get better...but it just didn't lol...

I also agreed with Atonement...I couldn't get into that book neither, even though I really wanted to...

A lot of books in high school I didn't want to read and thought they were boring at the time, but once I wasn't forced to read em, I went back and read some of them and actually really enjoyed them. Fun to see what others think about books :)
I <3 books!

• My weightloss Journey
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
The Atonement is on my list of books to read this year!

I read the twilight books, I think that they are ok for what they are. But Stephenie Meyer is not a good writer, and that is one of the reasons I had a hard time with the books. I am a book snob.

I tried listening to Great Expectations as work, and it couldn't grab my attention. My mind kept wandering off and thinking about others things and when I had to put the cd back for the 5th time, I gave up.

« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
I will probably won't make friends by admitting this, but The Lovely Bones.

/small voice

The only thing I liked was her idea of an afterlife.  Not so much the
Spoiler: show
sex scene
, but the other stuff.

I really wasn't into how she wrote pointless things in such detail.  I didn't find the novel sad or disturbing, but glurgey and full of stock characters.

« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.  I tried, I just couldn't get into it. 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »

I'm with you on this one. Though I wouldn't say I "can't bloody stand" it, but I didn't think it was very good.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »

I'm with you on this one - I heard the film is awful as well.

• My weightloss Journey
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
I liked the lovely bones, For her FIRST novel I didn't think that it was half bad and the book was based on her experience about being brutally raped. Her idea of the after life was a bit odd for me, There are things about this book that I will admit go over the top and are a bit too much. But I didn't think that the book was all that bad.

« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
Twilight was horrific. I read all four just so I would know what my friends were talking about and felt like I lost half my brain in the process. It's painful reading something in first person when the narrator doesn't have a well-rounded character. And
Spoiler: show
how the hell did they have a child?! Seriously not possible.

I also can't seem to get through any book that takes place on a boat.  ::)
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Coming full circle....
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »
All about her EATing, PRAYing (not), and Love-ing; of course. Surely a book about a woman who sets how to find what her life is all about HAD to find her true love....I haven't seen the movie, but the book should have stayed a diary/journal/self-awareness notebook, whatever.
;)

« Reply #309 on: October 19, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
For me this summer, it was Franny and Zooey.  I got some shocked responses from friends (all of whom seem to adore it) and maybe I was just in the wrong mindset for it, but I just couldn't get into it.  It reminded me of people I knew at college who constantly fretted about the problems in their lives when in reality, they would be considered society's elite in every way and the only problems they had were ones they had created.  I put the book down, but haven't written it off entirely.  I just might need a few more years before I'm ready for it! :)

« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
This one kills me, but I didn't like "Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver.  I loved "The Poisonwood Bible" and all her earlier stuff, but I just couldn't get into this one. 
I also really wanted to read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma", but couldn't get past the first chapter.
"Don't ask what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.  Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
-Howard Thurman

www.arewethereyetmom.us

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
This one kills me, but I didn't like "Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver.  I loved "The Poisonwood Bible" and all her earlier stuff, but I just couldn't get into this one. 

I quite liked Lacuna, but not nearly as much as Poisonwood. I mean, that was a very tough act to follow!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »
There's quite a bit of hate on here for Catch-22 by Joseph Heller- that's one of my favorite books of all time!! I love the irony, the contradictions, and the down-right humor of it.

Some girl talked me into reading Twilight and that was before the film and before I even knew of the hype. I got close to the middle and could not stand it. I finished it, just so I could justify my distaste for it. It was badly written. Not to mention plain obvious it was meant for young girls who still fantasize about weird romances.

Another one I detested was Eragon. You could easily tell it was written by a kid, and it seemed to me that the author was portraying himself as the hero of the book.

Other than that, I think I've been good at picking out books. c_c

« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
I can't stand anything by Steinbeck or the Scarlet Letter. 

« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
My least favourite would have to be "Tuesdays with Morrie" or anything by Nicholas Sparks. Utter and complete drivel. Ugh. I can feel the bile rising in my throat at the mere thought.

I'd also throw in anything by Danielle Steele or those other women who all write exactly the same way. Crap. All of it. Crap. A waste of perfectly good trees.   >:(

Couldn't agree more. with all of this. Nicholas Sparks is the most pompous, overblown, formulaic writer. The rest are just formulaic and boring :P

I have a particularly hard place in my heart for the Twilight series. Ugh. I read the first one because so many of my friends swooned over it, and I finished thinking, "I must not have been paying attention or something, because I don't get it." I had to read the next two for a young adult literature class I was taking.

I could forgive the sparkly vampires and the gooey, sappy writing as just not being my thing, but what makes me loathe the entire series is that so many young girls look to this codependent, helpless, absolute loser of a protagonist as something of a role model, and WORSE (!) as a controlling, manipulative pedophile as a romantic hero.  ???

Gah. That's my Twilight rant for the day.
9 Aug 11 - Married <3
14 Jan 12 - Submitted spousal visa application online
17 Jan 12 - Biometrics and mailed
19 Jan 12 - Visa issued!
21 Feb 12 - Moved to the UK!
01 May 13 - Passed the LitUK test :D
19 Mar 14 - Applied for ILR via checking service
29 Mar 14: Rec'd biometrics letter (dated 27 Mar) and completed biometrics same day
11 Jul 14: ILR approved
14 Jul 14: BRP and approval letter received
2 Dec 14 - Eligible to apply for citizenship

Sponsored Links