Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US: 12 killed and 31 wounded in shootings at Fort Hood, Texas  (Read 4451 times)

• Liked: 4
Re: US: 12 killed and 31 wounded in shootings at Fort Hood, Texas
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 12:43:18 PM »
Yes, none of the papers or news reports on TV are reporting that here.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 12:44:33 PM »
There was a report of 2 other shooters taken into questioning, I think these were people who returned fire.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Life is like a tire swing.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
This time though I have feeling where this guy was comming from.

For the life of me, I don't understand where you are coming from in regards to this part of your quote. ???
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"
"I've worn lots of shoes"   Forrest Gump

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »
Removed the link to the AP article, as they charge for it - see this topic for info:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=28223.0
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 01:48:30 AM »
Removed the link to the AP article, as they charge for it - see this topic for info:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=28223.0

$2.50 per word for 5 words or more!!!  :o  WOW talk may be cheap but that is something else.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Banned

• Lonesome onery & mean
    • Raggy Dee Ann  -  The Straight Dope
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
Sad for the shooter?  He guns down 13 people and wounds more.  I'm not sad for him.  I hope they hang him high after the trial.

And what do you mean "though I have feeling where this guy was comming from."?

If he didn't want to ship out to Iraq, all he had to do was refuse to go as a conscientious objector.  Yes, he would probably been in deep poop, but there are people who have refused to go and have won.  I wonder what he was hoping to accomplish by this senseless act of violence.

I guess what I typed came out the wrong way.  Don't get get me wrong, I feel for the people who lost their loved ones, the injured and the personnel on the base that witnessed all this, but this shooting was in the making and I'm surprised it never happened sooner.  Iposted my feelings on my blog.
I've Gotta Be Me.

My blog: http://raggydeeann.blogspot.com

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »
As was mentioned on The Andrew Marr Show this morning, people are now being sent out for 3rd and 4th tours out there, who knows what this does to a person mentally?
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Banned

• Lonesome onery & mean
    • Raggy Dee Ann  -  The Straight Dope
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
I heard on the radio some time ago about the amount of vets returing who have somehow found themselves in the justice system...not sure if it was this country or America. I can only imagin what these men and women are going through.

By the way my ex is an ex marine Vietnam vet who ended up there right after school and after a very abusive childhood. He was the sort of person who shouldnot have been sent over there....he's just one of those that never quite got over the war.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:16:02 PM by unusually unusual »
I've Gotta Be Me.

My blog: http://raggydeeann.blogspot.com

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »
By the way my ex is an ex marine Vietnam vet who ended up there right after school and after a very abusive childhood. He was the sort of person not to be sent over there....he's just one of those that never quite got over the war.

My dad was a mentally ill Vietnam vet. His PTSD was so bad he couldn't hold down a job. The VA never listed him as disabled, so things were rough for us when I was growing up. They finally did list him as mentally disabled and paid him off, but he died a year later from liver cancer at the age of 49, possibly due to exposure to Agent Orange, though that was never proven. I am sure all of the self-medicating with alcohol over the years didn't help his liver, anyway. I have the greatest compassion for any veteran. No one can witness such atrocities and ever truly be the same, even if some handle it better than others. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »
So true, Jewlz, and yet both the US & UK keep sendng troops to Afghanistan and Iraq and for what? Nothing, absolutely nothing, other than to prove who is top dog. It's got b*gger all to do with fighting Al Qaeda or the Taliban or they'd be concentrating on Somalia.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
The difference being Vietnam vets were drafted.  There is no draft now and you know that if you join you have a chance of seeing combat.  

Sure some vets get involved with the legal system, so do a lot of people who aren't. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
There's no draft now, but if people didn't join the forces voluntarily, the fighting wouldn't stop, they'd just bring back the draft. So, it's a bit of a red herring to say well they knew what they were getting into, because even if they hadn't volunteered, they might well end up there anyway. 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
Am I missing something here? If Hasan had gone to Iraq or Afghanistan, came back, snapped and did this I could understand his military service being a mitigating factor to his actions, but according to the reports I read he had never been deployed overseas.

How are his actions any different from when any person walks into their workplace or school and starts shooting up?

I know this is harsh but I recognise the need to find out the 'whys' to tragic events such as this, but I’m of the mind that there’s really no answer aside from the fact of what we have here is another loser with a gun.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
The accounts at the moment state the he'd been harassed about being Muslim in the army for years, he'd been trying to get out through all legal channels and he's explicitly stated that being deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan was his worst nightmare. With his deployment imminent, that may have been cause enough to snap.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »
The difference being Vietnam vets were drafted.  There is no draft now and you know that if you join you have a chance of seeing combat.  

Sure some vets get involved with the legal system, so do a lot of people who aren't. 

My dad wasn't drafted. He signed up at the age of 17 because he wanted to serve his country like his stepfather did in WWII. I really don't think he had any idea whatsoever of what he was in for, as the gruesome news coverage on the war didn't start until he was already away on base in Germany, and he was born after WWII, so had no memories of it. It's easy for a teenage boy to be brave until they are actually in the sh*t and see what they are faced with. No one is really prepared for that, even if they think they know what they are getting into. Still, as insane as my poor Dad was (and believe me, he was definitely insane), he never would've intentionally gunned down his fellow soliders. It takes someone incomprehensibly insane to do that.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab