Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Toddler Wins Right to Compensation after Attack by Another Toddler  (Read 1215 times)

• Liked: 2
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:13:25 PM by Shahbanou »

• Liked: 0
Re: UK: Toddler Wins Right to Compensation after Attack by Another Toddler
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
I was listening to the mother and a few others on Radio 2 at lunch today and I have to say that after that interview, I wasn't convinced that there was much point to this case.  The mother didn't do a very good job at conveying that her child had suffered trauma.  When asked what was wrong with him now, she said something like "he has some scarring".  She also went onto say that they hadn't pursued a case against the parents of the attacker and wasn't able to give a solid answer as to why.  Then when asked how much compensation she is hoping for and what it will be used for, she said that it would be nice for Jay to have some money for his future.

All in all after the radio interview, I felt like the parents were just doing this to get a bit of cash.  I feel that is wrong.  If they needed it for medical bills or help at home, had he suffered debilitating injuries, I could see the point. 

As for the attack...it just goes to show how strong kids can be.  And that they don't instinctively know right from wrong at that age.  Once I get past that, I start to question why a car jack was within reach of child, who at that age should have been restrained in a car seat? 

• Liked: 19
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
It does make me wonder if empathy is something that's innate, or something that's learned.  Surely by age 3 the child would know that the other child was hurt?

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »
Yes, why was a car jack within reach, and why were these children unattended? Toddlers can be vicious toward each other - biting, hitting, etc., as it is hard for them to control their emotions at that age.

It does make me wonder if empathy is something that's innate, or something that's learned.  Surely by age 3 the child would know that the other child was hurt?

You would think so. My three year old stepson knows if he has hurt one of us by playing too roughly and always says he is sorry in a very sincere way. When I cut my finger the other day, he wanted to take a look at it and even put the plaster on for me! But as I said, it is hard for them to control their emotions sometimes at that age, though they should know that hitting is wrong by then.

Still, I think whoever was in charge of watching the children and left them alone in a car together with a car jack should be held responsible. I would never leave my stepson in a car unattended!

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »

Still, I think whoever was in charge of watching the children and left them alone in a car together with a car jack should be held responsible. I would never leave my stepson in a car unattended!

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this!!!! That's some very irresponsible parenting.
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »

Neglect. I think leaving a 3-year old unattended in a car, strapped in or not, is a case for neglect. But to leave 2? And a car jack within reach?

It's irrelevant if the child is prosecutable, which clearly a 3-year cannot be held responsible in a court of law for his actions, but the parents are responsible.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

Sponsored Links