Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BROWNIES!  (Read 717 times)

• Liked: 0
BROWNIES!
« on: August 03, 2004, 03:16:19 PM »
just wanted to post as i am in shock!  :o my DH has never seen homemade brownies before! i made them yesterday and asked him to grab me a pan and he brought out a cookie sheet! just another thing that was missing from his childhood, i guess. he's never been allowed to 'lick the bowl' or any of the things that were such a big part of spending time with my mom/grandma in the earlier years of life! wierd.
if it isn't one thing, its my mother . . .

30/06/2009- NCS Appointment & Citizenship wait begins
06/07/2009- Date of Acknowledgement of Application and Payment Letter
21/08/2009- Date of Invitation to Citizenship Letter
24/09/2009- Citizenship Ceremony!

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
Re: BROWNIES!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:31:31 PM »
I can recall Brownies shocking my friends...they sure did LOVE them though. 

I think that deserts are the most confusing thing for my DF.  I tell him what I am going to make and he just gives me a funny look--after all, how in the world can you make a sweet bread with pumkin?  Or a pie?  Then I tell him I'm making "corgette" bread or cookies...the look on his face is priceless.

That said, the moment my sweet takes a bite of the goodies, he is happy happy happy.  And, he gets to lick the spoon / bowl  :)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:34:51 PM »
Ah yes, I've seen "corgette bread" face before! LOL!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 09:49:26 AM »
I have introduced a brownies at several small parties the my DF was invited to. The recipe is now so popular I've lost count of who all we've given it to!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• My little cutie
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 10:03:53 AM »
I got the look from my MIL on brownies.  But she loves them now.  And I have made chocolate chip cookies with the original nestles recipe (not the nestle chips though :-[) but DH took some to work and they all loved them I sent like 3 doz with him to work and the tin came back empty that night with someone wanting the recipe lol.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 12:45:25 PM »
This is a bit off topic but I got that look from deviled eggs! I made them for a party about a month ago and everyone loooved them.  It's the weirdest thing! They've never seen them before.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Journal
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 05:36:51 PM »
Oohh.....could someone please post a brownie recipe?  I've been craving them lately, and as I live in a small town, the baking section in the local Morrison's is absolutely pants.  :)  For that matter, a chocolate chip recipe would be much appreciated too, I nearly gagged on the Green's mix we purchased.  *smiles widely and endearingly*
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »
This is my all-time favourite brownie recipe.  From time to time I try others, but I always come back to this one. 

Two thing:  1)  This recipe is for an 8x8 inch square pan.  Double it for the larger rectangular pan.
2) It requires American unsweetened chocolate.  I always stock up on this when I go home because I've not found any place around me that sells it.

3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking power
1/2 tsp salt
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup shortening (Stork works brilliantly)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Melt chocolate and shortening in  top of double boiler over boiling water.
Gradually add sugar to beaten eggs, beating well between additions.  Add melted chocolate and blend well.  Gradually stir in flour, mixing thoroughly.  Add vanilla and nuts.
Bake in a greased 8 x 8 baking pan for about 25 minutes, or until brown and slightly shrunk from the side of pan. 
Remove from oven.  Cool and cut into squares.

This recipe has become a favourite of all my English friends too!
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 06:16:31 PM »
This is really funny to me, because my boyfriend had never had brownies when he first came here to the US, and now I think I make them at least 3 times a month! Its just the really cheap fudgy brownie mix in a box too lol, not even homemade! I am going to have to bring a suitcase full of brownie mix when I come there, because I dont know what I would do without brownies.  :P

• Journal
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 11:41:29 PM »
That recipe looks divine, I'll have to give it a shot.  But first, I'll need to contact someone in the States to mail me some chocolate.  :D

Curious, does anyone have any tips for "faking" a double boiler to melt the chocolate and shortening?
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 12:01:12 AM »
I have great success melting chocolate and butter in the microwave..not sure how shortening would do.....the key is to not completely melt the chocolate..once it is started it melts the rest of the way when you stir it in the hot butter

Helena

• Journal
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 12:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a microwave.  Awell, I'm sure I'll figure something out.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab