Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Cooking  (Read 4878 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: British Cooking
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
I'll have to try that Gourmet India. We always go to Shiva off of Times Blvd. We love it but love trying new ones too.

It has been at least 8 years since I've eaten there.  Their lunchtime buffet was really good!
 When we lived on that side of town we used to get a take out from there every Friday night. 

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
How about the ones from the Cornish Pasty Bakery? There's one in York...delicious! I must confess to not usually getting the traditional though!

I'll google it to see if there's one in the Northwest area. Chester, Manchester and probably Liverpool would be the most I could stretch to on a day out with DH, until I have my own money. Once we have our own place, I'll be brave and make my own pasties, though. Along with Asian foods of all sorts. :)
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
I'll google it to see if there's one in the Northwest area. Chester, Manchester and probably Liverpool would be the most I could stretch to on a day out with DH, until I have my own money. Once we have our own place, I'll be brave and make my own pasties, though. Along with Asian foods of all sorts. :)

Yes, it's not easy to do much cooking when it's someone else's kitchen.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »

lemon cashew rice? I love it up! :)

Huh! Well, it looked just like that, but without the cashews... what else is in there? Are those chick peas or some other nut? Anyway, I loooove cashews, so I think that's about the only thing that would've made that rice better for me.  ;D Do you have a recipe?!

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
I never had curry, trifle, prawn toast or prawn crackers before coming to the UK.

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
Oh how I love a proper pasty!!  We make them here with lovely skirt steak.  Yummy.  Cream teas Cornish or Devon... :P Langage Farm ice cream, milk from Guernsey cows, local availability of produce and meats, all the fresh fish and the best Fishmonger in the planet -Lloyd Down in Plymouth, Sainsbury's wheat and also multi-grain bread from the bakery,  The whole entire Taste the Difference line, M&S ready foods, Brixham Crab, oh and the cheese shop in the lovely Tavistock...  http://www.countrycheeses.co.uk/...

God is it May yet? 

I love Tavistock.

I could go for a steak and ale pie from the Warren House Inn right now...Mmmm.
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »
Yes, it's not easy to do much cooking when it's someone else's kitchen.  :-\\\\

Indeed. Which is my constant on-going complaint.  ::) I love my in-laws and all, but, well.... :-\\\\

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »
I hated Brussels sprouts before moving here, and although I loved Indian food, it was a special occasion food.  Since moving here, there was a period when about 50% of the food I made was either Indian or some other Asian food. 

It's a little difficult to articulate how my food tastes have changed, but what I eat is a lot different than I did in the States, even when my husband was there.  I've really become a much better cook, and I say that based upon how others sincerely view my food.  I'd probably turn my nose up a bit at something like roasted parsnips before I moved here, and now it's one of my favourite dishes.

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
Indeed. Which is my constant on-going complaint.  ::) I love my in-laws and all, but, well.... :-\\\\

I think we should start a specific blog group for people living with their inlaws.  It doesn't have to be specifically for Americans in the UK.  I bet it would be hilarious/informative for people getting themselves into that situation.

I am so glad we're out of there.  Reading over some peoples' posts who are still with their inlaws brings it back mixed with sincere empathy.

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:44 PM »
Next time I'm in Chester, and I have my own money to spend a bit of, I shall have a proper pasty, just for those who've been following my search for them. They're sold by a shop called cornwallpastycompany. It's across from Chester Cathedral as well! By the way, their website's awesome, and totally worth a peek.

I shall have to put up with the Ginster's, on every other Thursday night,  for the time being, though.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
Ginster's is vile.

How about the ones from the Cornish Pasty Bakery? There's one in York...delicious! I must confess to not usually getting the traditional though!

That's what I was referring to when I was talking about Cornish pasties being fast food.

Fast food is food that gets handed to you over a counter while you're standing in a queue.

It's not necessarily bad, but it can get boring.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:01:50 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
Next time I'm in Chester, and I have my own money to spend a bit of, I shall have a proper pasty, just for those who've been following my search for them. They're sold by a shop called cornwallpastycompany.

Save your money till you actually go to Cornwall.
That's the only place you are going to get a proper Cornish pasty.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
It's starting to look like you actually can't get a "real" pasty except in Cornwall.  I'm just one county over and I've never seen anything but the Cornish Pasty Co and similar, which is apparently fast food pasties.  One begins to give up hope.   

x-with genau!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »
Save your money till you actually go to Cornwall.
That's the only place you are going to get a proper Cornish pasty.

Hurrah, all the more reason to take the trip. I've always wanted to go, anyhow, and it's one of the places(many) I've told DH I want to go to.  ;D

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
I had some darn good Cornish pasties, made by Cornish folk, at the farmers markets in both Somerset and Devon!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab