Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: CV question and post-marriage job search  (Read 2596 times)

• I'm eating paste!
  • Liked: 0
CV question and post-marriage job search
« on: February 25, 2003, 05:56:49 PM »
Hi all,
been really busy with the wedding planning so haven't logged on for a while--and boy have I missed some topics! I've been through a bunch of them but haven't found an answer to my question. Bear with me: it needs a bit of explanation...

I have been living here with my fiance since march 2001, but only got my Fiancee Visa in December 2001. Since March (when I came here) I have been working from our flat here in London for an american company and getting paid for it--obviously--into my bank account in the US.

My question is: I want to start putting my CV out there so I can have a job as soon as possible after the wedding (which is May 2003). But, should I put the work that I have been doing since March on the CV, or will that look like I am doing something dodgy? (because, truthfully, I don't think I am supposed to be doing anything while I am here on a non-working visa, even if it isn't a brit company). I feel like if I don't put it on my CV, though,  I will be less employable because it will look like I haven't been doing much for the past year.

Thanks for your help!
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

Re: CV question and post-marriage job search
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 09:51:42 PM »
I would put it on your CV.  

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 10:48:49 AM »
I'm a little confused.....

You came here in March 2001, then got a Finacee visa *after* living here for 9 months?  How in the world did you manage that?   :o  Even a tourist visa waiver expires after 6 months, and they don't seem to look to highly on overstayers when it comes time for Fiancee visas, etc.

If you've been working here through an American company, and depending on what type of work you've been doing here (writers, for example are an exception) your company should have given you some sort of work visa for that purpose.

Also, you got your finacee visa in December 2001, but you are aware that that visa only lasts 6 months right?  You should have been married in June 2002 at the very latest.  Have you gotten an extension or something?  I'm just wondering how you've managed all that really....hope you don't mind my curiosity!!!

To answer your question though, I would think you should definately put the work you've been doing on your CV.  Future employers aren't going to likely even ask if you did that work illegally or not.  They're just going to care whether or not you're able to work in the country currently, which you will be once you're married and have your visa changed over.

Hope that helps a little and good luck with your upcoming wedding!!!

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 10:58:50 AM »
thanks to all for their replies. And Wishstar, I got the date wrong--came here in March 2002, stayed in England until June 2002, went back to New York, and when I returned here in July, they did not look favourably on me, no. But they let me through, so I didn't complein. My return ticket was for Oct 2002 to Washington, but at the time the sniper was shooting everyone there, so I changed my ticket and figured if customs control had a problem with that they could really know where to put it.

When I went to get my fiancee's visa in Dec 2002, they didn't question how many times I went back and forth, probably because I had loads of money in my bank account to show I didn't need to work and that I was legit. But believe me, I was nervous about it. :-/
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 10:23:59 PM »
Put it on your CV. It's experience and they won't ask you a thing about your visa (except if you're allowed to work NOW).

I can't see anything wrong with living in the UK while working for an American company. As long as it was located in the states, you were being paid in dollars, into your American bank account. It's like a traveller coming to the UK on business. Only you've stayed a bit longer.  :)

Doesn't sound dodgy to me at all.

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab