Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Non-dom US citizen retiree resident in UK  (Read 1582 times)

• Liked: 0
Non-dom US citizen retiree resident in UK
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
I'm a US citizen married to a UK citizen both retired pensioners.  We live in the UK.  I am a non-dom UK resident.

A few questions:

1.  I have no UK income (only income from a US pension which I pay US tax on).  Do I need to file any tax returns in the UK (I've been a UK resident for the past three years and haven't filed here so far...just file in the US).

2.  Will the proposed or existing non-dom tax rules force me to pay a double tax on my pension?  Or levy a large upfront payment (which I can't afford)?

3.  I've read the double taxation treaty and can't understand it. 

HELP!!!

Thanks.   ???

• Liked: 102
Re: Non-dom US citizen retiree resident in UK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
If your US pension is not remitted to the UK it is not taxable in the UK at all providing that you file a UK return claiming the remittance basis.  Once you have been UK resident 7 of the past 9 years this would cost you an additional £30,000 each year.

If any of the US pension is remitted to the UK then it is taxable here and you need to file a UK return & pay tax on this & claim treaty exemption on your US return.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »
Thanks for your help.  Since posting my question I've consulted my solicitor and a UK tax accountant who both said essentially the same as you did.  After I've lived here for 7 years I will probably need to change from the remitted basis to reporting on all my US income as, at that point, it will be less tax than paying the RBC of £30,000.  I gather the time living here starts at the time one actually is here, not when one gets a residence visa.  Too bad.   Again, thanks very much for your reply.  It took me a while to read it as it did not generate e-mail to notify me I had an answer.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
My UK tax man says I need to get a National Insurance Number even though I earn nothing in the UK (I'm fully retired) and my income is entirely from my US pension.  I'm not sure why I need to do this?

• Liked: 102
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
You won't get the Winter Fuel payment if you are not registered...

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
My husband gets it

Sponsored Links