Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Green Tomatoes, Tomatillos  (Read 698 times)

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
  • Liked: 0
Green Tomatoes, Tomatillos
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:55:07 AM »
Just reading in the other thread remembering about the dual names - coriander/cilantro, aubergine/eggplant zuchinni/courgettes, made me remember to ask about tomatillos/green tomatoes. Is there a secret word for them over here? Are they sold in any format (canned, in a jar, fresh, dried whatever) at all here? Canned in the fruit section? Hidden next to the green beans? Do they exist at all on this side of the water? Or do I need to bite the bullet and grow my own?

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
Re: Green Tomatoes, Tomatillos
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 04:43:53 PM »
I've seen them in a couple of "whole foods" shops in the Edinburgh area (sorry...shop names are escaping me at the moment).  They were labled as tomatillos--they made a great salsa!!!  I've found other great things, such as corn meal for my corn bread, certain spices and herbs and quite a few veggies that I've not been able to find in "normal" shops.

I suppose that a search of your local whole foods places may turn something up as well. 

Re: Green Tomatoes, Tomatillos
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »
If someone is looking for tomatillos, poblano peppers, etc., try Peppers by Post. They were at the West Dean Chili Festival last weekend and they had the BIGGEST poblanos I've seen in a looong time!

http://www.peppersbypost.biz/

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab