Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First time doing taxes from the UK, Part of 2009 was spent earning in USA  (Read 435 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello,

I held two PT jobs in the states until I moved here in May.  I am here on a spousal visa.  We were married in January of 2009 and last year I filed online with the assistance of my sister, (every year before that my taxes were completed by the family accountant).  As advised by the forms, last year I filed as single, as my husband has so far had nothing to do with the US tax system.  Since living here I've worked a part time job at a bar/restaurant before finding a permanent position in July.  My concerns are that I have no clue what information I need to include about my earnings here in the UK.  Do I file using only the information from jobs in the US?  Also for one of the PT jobs in the USA, I was technically self employed, and have paid no taxes on that income yet, nor have I gone through paying taxes for a self employed job before.  Please advise.   Thank you!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
I'm not tax professional, but this is how I did it last year, and everything seemed to be correct. The first thing you should do is visit the IRS website and search for the info packet for residents living abroad. That will tell you everything you need to know, and it's pretty easy to follow the instructions (trust me, I never did my own taxes, even though it would have been easy to do so. I'm afraid of maths. :P But honestly, this really is fairly easy to do.)

Basically, you will need your W2's from your jobs in the US. You will fill in the 1040 (not the EZ) as usual with your earnings and any additional money in savings, or support, etc. For what you earned in the UK, you will need to fill in the 2555-EZ for the foreign earned income tax exclusion. However, you have to have been living outside the US for a certain amount of time before you qualify. You are automatically entitled to a two month extension since you live abroad, so technically, your taxes aren't due until June 15th. If you won't be able to meet that requirement of days outside the US by June 15th (again, I don't remember exactly how many days that is) then you will need to file for an extension in order to meet that. But, once you do meet the terms for the foreign earned income tax exclusion, then you fill in the 2555-EZ (so long as you earned less than the equivalent of $91,400 or something like that). You can find the exchange rate they want you to use on the IRS site, and you just figure your income in US dollars using that exchange rate and put that on your form. As far as I know, you don't need any payslips or paperwork verifying what you earned here.

Make sure you actually look through that info packet for taxpayers filing abroad, rather than just going by what I am telling you. Like I said, I'm no professional and I might be missing something out in my basic description. It takes a bit of time to read through it, but it really will help you along to doing it yourself. Good luck!

• Liked: 31
One thing, I'm pretty sure you can't file as single, as you aren't single. You should file married filing separately and list your spouse as NRA (non-resident alien) where it asks for the SSN.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
One thing, I'm pretty sure you can't file as single, as you aren't single. You should file married filing separately and list your spouse as NRA (non-resident alien) where it asks for the SSN.

Yeah, I meant to say that and thought of it after I wrote that post. This is what I do when I fill in my taxes, which are nicely non-existent now. This year, all I had to do was fill in my 2555-EZ and put that into my 1040 and sign it and it's away! I will miss those checks from Uncle Sam, though.  :P

• Liked: 0
Thanks so much for the advice.  It's given me a great starting point and it is great to know I've got a bit of extra time. Woo Hoo.  If I have any more questions I'll be back on here...  Thank you!

• Liked: 102
Don't forget to claim the Making Work Pay credit for 2009 so you get a refund - even though it will most likely be reportable on your 2010/11 UK tax return...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab