Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oy vey. Reference checks, anyone?  (Read 951 times)

• Liked: 8
Oy vey. Reference checks, anyone?
« on: August 10, 2004, 03:38:54 PM »
Alright, so I've held a little part-time happy housewife job for a couple of months now, but I've seen a job advertised that'd be perfecto for me.  It's a £12,000 raise (!) and in my field of education and at THE school I'd like to work at....hmpf.  I got the application pack in the post today and there's a problem....they want to check my references BEFORE the interview.  ACK!

Now, I am not one of those "career kangaroos" who skips around from job to job every couple of months.  I LOATHE the thought of this new job asking for a reference from my current job because I've only been there a couple of months.  I don't hate my current job, but I'd love the salary and mental stimulation of the new job.  I don't want the people at my current job thinking I'm dead weight and trying to get out before my probation's even up.  I just want to apply for this other job and see what happens.

So here's the deal...how do I let my current boss know that someone's gonna be calling her for a reference WITHOUT making it seem like I'm trying to get away from my current job ASAP?  I don't want to be shady and NOT put my current job down on the application (and that doesn't seem like an option...both jobs are with the council and I'm pretty sure someone would find out anyway). 

Ugh.  Any thoughts? 

(I work in a small office...literally 5 other people...so I know the boss will tell everyone that I'm looking for another job...sticky!)

Re: Oy vey. Reference checks, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 03:46:47 PM »
Almost all references will be done after the offer has been received. However, in some jobs, especially those for children, a criminal records check will be done as well- but no worries in most cases regarding the boss finding out too early :)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:49:43 PM »
Here's what it says:

"please note that for a Category 'E' post written references will be taken up and made available to interviewers BEFORE the final selection stage even if you indicate otherwise [that you don't want your current employer contacted]"

AArgh.....my head is going to explode!

(I know I'm making this a bigger deal than it is....ultimately, I want to apply...I just don't want to deal with the office politics that come along with this...blech)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 03:56:41 PM »
Lola, just curious. What is this job? I know you have been relieved to leave teaching...are you going back to it?

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 04:08:45 PM »
Noooo, it's not teaching!   ;D  That's kind of why I'm interested--I'll be able to work with kids but I won't have to actually be in the classroom!

It's basically tutoring/mentoring for exceptional kids...helping them get organized, study skills, motivating them to head to higher education, etc.   

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 04:16:48 PM »
talk to your boss - explain that while you are not actively job seeking, this one is too good an opportunity to ignore - i'm sure they'll be understanding, especially if it seems the new job is more in line with your background.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 04:49:43 PM »
Lola, that sounds brilliant!! I agree with Britwife, an earnest talk with the boss is the best way to go :)

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 09:54:08 AM »
I also agree with britwife...  just talk to her about it.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links