Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tax filing program  (Read 340 times)

• Liked: 0
Tax filing program
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »
Hello all

I am trying to file my US taxes and I used great software for it last year and I can't remember the name of it! I have searched all over and on this site trying to find something. Can anyone suggest what software they are using to file their taxes? I tried Turbo tax and they wanted to charge me for using the foreign income tax form. Just looking for a nice easy and free way to file!

Thanks!
Michael

• Liked: 20
Re: Tax filing program
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
I tried H&R Blocks free web based service.  I gave up though because even though it said that it supported 2555EZ, it actually would only allow me to fill out 2555, which I don't have to do.  Also, I couldn't figure out how to enter my UK employer's address.  There was a box to tick for foreign employer, but it wouldn't work properly for me. 

I also tried freefilefillableforms.org/, which is just the IRS forms presented in the browser.  It does some simple calculations.  However, I gave up on those because it can't handle negative numbers properly.  On my 1040, my AGI was smaller than my personal standard deduction (after claiming my earned income on form 2555 EZ), and line 41 couldn't handle it, it wouldn't display my negative number.  I emailed tech support, and they said that they replicated the problem, but that the numbers still come out in the end.  That may be true, but as I can't see it, I'm not going to assume that the IRS can.

So, I haven't helped you at all really, sorry.  Honestly though, give the h&R Block free version a try, the standard forms for us expats are there (1040, 2555, 1116), and you may figure out how to enter a foreign employer address.  In fact, if you do, could you tel me how ;)

Sam

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab