Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone tall/ got big feet (UK size 9+)??  (Read 1470 times)

• Liked: 0
Anyone tall/ got big feet (UK size 9+)??
« on: August 11, 2004, 07:34:02 PM »
ARGH, where can I get shoes that aren't for a granny??

Anyone else had the same problem?

(PS. If there are any other tall girls out there, I have started a club for tall girls to post information on where to go shopping. I thought it would be good to have a little black book for shopping, but accessible to anyone. It's slowly starting to take shape. It's http://groups.yahoo.com/group/birdseyeview)

Thanks!

Flaurena xx

Re: Anyone tall/ got big feet (UK size 9+)??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 11:24:02 AM »
Flaurena,

I am in the same boat as you - 6' 2-1/2" tall with size 12 (US) feet. I'm still in the States and am planning on stocking up on shoes before I make the move over but when I was in the UK I saw some decent looking shoes in Evans - they go up to a size 10 (UK) but they are suprisingly wide.  Also, you can check out the Plus Size shoes section of this website - http://www.plussizeclothing.co.uk. Hope this helps.

Tanisha

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:43:21 AM »
YEAY!
Hello gals! 
Thank God we've found each other!!!!

I too, am 6'2", from LA originally, now living in London, and was STUNNED to find how difficult it was to find attractive, comfortable shoes... (and clothes).  And my problem was worsened that I discovered I'm now an 'in-betweener' : used to be a standard size 12, now I seem to be 12 /2 or 11!!! Who needs that?!?!?

I would highly suggest stocking up on the shoes you really like before heading over, but also keep in mind, some of the styles are different here as well (at first, I didn't like them, but now, they're not so bad!)... so maybe leave yourself room (closet and pocketbook), because I did find...

Across the street from Long Tall Sally (clothing shop for Tall Gals, on Chiltern Street, down from the Baker St. Tube), are THREE shoe shops specifically for us big footed gals.  I personally only went into Magnus and bought two pairs.  I was very pleased with the selection and the price.  So I now call that particular area 'the tall block' of London.

I would also strongly recommend stocking up on clothing; tops and trousers that are long enough, etc.; as I'm still searching for clothing that I like (LTS is good, but limited in my opinion).  Again, pay attention to the styles a bit, as they are slightly different... again, it's a cosmopolitan city, so it doesn't really matter, but I've definitely noticed wide trouser legs are the thing (no narrow legs at all).

Hope that's informative more than confusing!
Now I'm off to check out that site listed above!
 ;)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 12:29:13 PM »
Elizabeth,

I see you are a fan of the show Wicked. I have yet to see it in person but I'm loving the original cast recording.

I will be living in Leamington Spa (where there is a Long Tall Sally as well) but will make the trip to London to check out the 'tall block'. You can never have too many places to shop!

Tanisha

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:37:48 PM »
LOVE Wicked!

I've not seen it either, as I moved here from LA... but I'm working on a few of the songs to put in a cabaret show I'm putting together.

Alas, I will be too old to play Elphaba by the time it reaches the West End... oh well.  Perhaps I can be in the chorus!

;D

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 09:52:19 PM »
Hello Girls!

Actually, I'm the British one out of my fiance and me, and already in the UK...

Have you actually ever found anything in LTS that was nice??? Whenever I go there, the clothes have always been not great.

I actually live round the corner from Chiltern Street in London, so will definitely check out those shops.  I did hear that one is called Elephant Feet, or something!

The problem with shoe manufacturers is this... they SOMETIMES make longer shoes-- but they always have a HEEL!!! If you wear longer shoes, you're probably over 5'10", and so just *might* want to *not* wear heels! Why is it impossible to find a pair of black pumps??

BTW, US Gals, if you're having trouble with trousers: I have a 36" inner leg, and think Topshop is great for us Tall-ies! Frankly, it USED to be better, but still a good 'staple'. Also, Mango is pretty good. Forget Zara, as the clothes aren't very well stitched together!

This is why you should all join my club! :D

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 10:11:05 AM »
Re:  LTS - I did get a cool suit (trousers and jacket) that I really liked, and a pair of jeans that are, okay.  Their catalogue does seem better.

Yes, one of the other shops is called Elephant Feet.  There is a total of three shops; and I did find a nice pair of very low heeled pumps to go with my suit.  Frankly, I thought it refreshing to find large sizes WITH heels, as in the States, I got resentful that the manufacturers seemed to 'assume' that because I was tall/ had big feet, I wouldn't want heels!

Hey, we have a right to wear heels just like anyone else!

Sponsored Links