Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things I am looking forward to in the UK  (Read 2166 times)

• Liked: 0
Things I am looking forward to in the UK
« on: March 04, 2003, 08:15:17 PM »
Some of us have been there before and can't wait to be there again share some stuff you are looking forward to or you looked forward to before going over.

Lion Bars, Orange Tango, Jaffa Cakes, Heinz Beans, Chunky Chips (fries), Strongbow and Carlsburg!! Ofcourse on my low carb woe these are all forbidden LOL

IMHO better comedy on television ie Have I got News For You, Nevermind The Buzzcocks, League of Gentlemen

All the goofy commercials and the way they just STOP without any fade out or anything.  Cracks me up every time

Not Looking Forward To:
Ten mile walk from the street to the subway it really is Underground!!
Expensive travel cards
TV License
Non Competitive LD and DSL Cariers
American Fast Food
American sit-com re-runs

Re: Things I am looking forward to in the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 04:50:52 PM »

Non Competitive LD and DSL Cariers

As a telecoms industry professional working for a UK based competitive LD and DSL carrier (though not for residential service), I couldn't let this remark go!

The UK has an extremely competitive LD, Local and broadband market, with a good range of choice and good value for all services.  Apart from (obviously) BT, try NTL, Telewest, Tiscali, Easynet, Bulldog, Claranet to name but a few for broadband.  For telephone services, try Onetel, Powergen, Npower or British Gas.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 06:40:39 PM »
Thanx for the info!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 07:23:10 PM »
I would have agreed with you about not enjoying all the rerun American sit-coms. Yes, seems the shows are a bit lagging. But, this season has brought a few of them closer to the same season...something I experienced first-hand on my trip to California last week. I was all set to watch the current episode of "Friends" on Thursday night at 9 on NBC, had my front row seat to the TV reserved, and...I'd already seen it in the UK!

I'm also noticing something with films. A couple of films I saw in the UK are just now being released in the US. In fact one, "Boat Trip" with Cuba Gooding Jr. comes out in the US next week (?) and I saw it almost three months ago!

Better TV here? Oh you are so right! It's all reality stuff in the US now...several are even UK-borne. (Hey, who won "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!"?)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 05:12:49 PM »
lol I know everytime I go to the UK I end up seeing many films and tv shows that come out in the US later.  I had to stop watching East Enders because I had gone two years ahead on a trip to England.

American TV is the pits I usually end up watching brit-com night on PBS (have done for twenty years!) just because I find re-runs of old uk shows way more interesting then us ones.

Don't even ask me how many times I've seen: The Young Ones, Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, Waiting For God, Shelley, Father Ted, plus all the mystery/detective ones and many others I've long since forgotten the names of.

I forgot to say that most of my fav music is from the UK as well: Sex Pistols, Public Image Limited, U2, Cure, Joy Division, Jam, Magazine, Depeche Mode, Buzzcocks, Radiohead, Future Sound of London, again list goes on and on
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 05:17:53 PM by Phena_Gen »

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 06:29:09 PM »
Can't wait for:

Pubs (especially the food...although I've taught myself to make an excellent steak and stout pie, it's more fun to get it there)
Weather!  I cant wait for the cold, rain, and clouds!  
Being able to walk to town..for us stay-home Moms with no cars, the thought of being able to do things during the day is heaven!
Having my family near me (MIL and friends who are closer than my actual relatives)
Jaffa cake bars, Galaxy swirls, and Quality Street
Forcing my husband to visit every last castle and historical site on the whole island
V&A museum
Phineas Fogg's (sic?) garlic bread chips
train travel
the way anywhere outside London is so quiet and peaceful at night

PS Phena Gen, OK list (I LOVE The Jam and Buzzcocks, and my dh made me go see Depeche Mode a few years back so they're OK too) but where's the Clash???

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 11:29:50 PM »
I know I know I forgot the Clash, Gang Of Four, Portishead, Elastica, Chameleons, Charlatans, Killing Joke, Tricky, Jah Wobble and I'm sure even more after that...lol I like too much music I can't remember it all ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab