Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Office Procedures  (Read 808 times)

• Liked: 0
Office Procedures
« on: August 14, 2004, 02:38:27 PM »
I am starting work on Monday.  In a lawyer's office.  Apparently the lawyer specializes in family law.  My question to you all is:  Is there a book or website where I can see how letters are set up?  The basics really.  I'm sure I will pick it up as I go along.  I will have the support of the previous secretary for the first week.  Which is so great. But I was wondering if I could take a peek at things before I start.  It would be nice to know some of the basics right off.  Thanks.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

Re: Office Procedures
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 03:12:41 PM »
Karen, I don't know of any websites that show this.  After working for a matrimonial solicitor for a while I decided to take the ILEX Legal Secretarial course, which teaches you basic things like that, but I can safely say you'll find a lot of it goes out the window because each office is different.  What I would suggest is asking the lady you're taking over for what the house style is for letters and attendance notes and how they set up their files on and off the computer. 

Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions!  Hope it goes well in your new job!  I'm sure you'll be fine!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
I would say just go in and follow the lead of the secretary who will be *training* you.  Each office follows its own letter style - my letters don't look anything like some of the ones that we received from other offices.

And then once you know how they do things there, then you can kind of "tweak" things where you see fit.  Like when I send a letter by fax, I always put that on the actual letter itself "By Fax and Post" and the fax number.  Or "By E-mail and Post" and the e-mail address.  None of the secretaries before me did it, but my boss likes it.

One thing - DON'T say, "But in the States we do it this way..."  ::)   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »
I would say just go in and follow the lead of the secretary who will be *training* you.  Each office follows its own letter style - my letters don't look anything like some of the ones that we received from other offices.

And then once you know how they do things there, then you can kind of "tweak" things where you see fit.  Like when I send a letter by fax, I always put that on the actual letter itself "By Fax and Post" and the fax number.  Or "By E-mail and Post" and the e-mail address.  None of the secretaries before me did it, but my boss likes it.

I do that too, Peedal, mostly to cover our butts should the other side decide to be funny about it.   Seems to me it's just good letter etiquette though. 

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 03:52:49 PM »
Thanks very much Ladies!  It was what I was looking for.  I guess since I know so little about the job, what I will be directly doing, I'm worrying that they know so little about me as well.  Chiefly that I'm American and am used to doing things differently.  Guess it's just my nerves acting up eh?  I will do as you suggest.  Especially the "in the states" remark!  lol 
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »
Thanks very much Ladies!  It was what I was looking for.  I guess since I know so little about the job, what I will be directly doing, I'm worrying that they know so little about me as well.  Chiefly that I'm American and am used to doing things differently.  Guess it's just my nerves acting up eh?  I will do as you suggest.  Especially the "in the states" remark!  lol 

I'm sure you'll be fine.  The role of a legal secretary essentially entails mostly audio typing, maybe some copy typing, liasing a lot with clients, maybe a little filing, managing your boss' diary.  That's a real bare bones idea.

Some pitfalls to watch out for are things like spelling and word usage.  One can kick and scream saying "I will not be assimilated" but sometimes ya hafta.   Spelling was a biggie for me and thank goodness for spell check, because sometimes I honestly didn't know what the English spelling was. 

Again, good luck!  I'm sure you'll be fine!

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 09:19:16 PM »
I've read your post and it made me smile thinking about my first job here as an Admin Asst for a local corporation.  Yes, some things were different, but everybody was very nice and helpful.  It doesn't take long at all to get used to the office's particular "style"  People are usually always happy to help and you have the bonus of the other secretary who is leaving to show you the ropes.

Some of the people I met from and through that job have turned out to be some of my closest friends.  We still have a chuckle today talking about when we first met working together.

Good luck; I'm sure you'll be fine. 
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 09:29:28 AM »
Oh - elle's post about spelling made me think of something - because we use the Almighty Microsoft software, for some reason my dictionary isn't automatically the UK version - I have to actually pick it sometimes when I notice one of my Brit-spelling words come up with the squiggly underneath it!  So if you're going to depend on the spell-check to help you out, make sure it's set for UK dictionary in every document!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab