Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I hate grocery shopping here!!!  (Read 5817 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: I hate grocery shopping here!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 08:06:21 PM »
I thought that the stores who have you insert £1 into the trolley wasnt due to them being stolen, but more that they dont have to employ someone to go into the carpark to collect them all? Paying £1 for a trolley wont really deter anyone who was set on stealing one.

I was thinking the same thing. 1£ isn't *that* much money. And I wish we had grocery delivery here. I need to go now, but I wish someone would just bring me my groceries instead! ;D
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
I thought that the stores who have you insert £1 into the trolley wasnt due to them being stolen, but more that they dont have to employ someone to go into the carpark to collect them all? Paying £1 for a trolley wont really deter anyone who was set on stealing one.

so they aren't mean, just cheap...  ;)

Actually the ones i've seen still have a person going around and collecting them from the car parks. 

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:38 PM »
Maybe look into veggie boxes? I'm not a huge fan of shopping or crowds in general, although it's gotten LOADS better the longer I've been here--but I LOVE our Riverford mini-veg and fruit box.  Plenty of veggies for the two of us, nice fruit, and it lasts ages because it's so fresh (and I get to eat things I'd never, ever buy!).  It also means I only have to buy milk, cheese, and random stuff so it cuts down on the shopping. And you don't have to be there for them to drop it off. (You can also add milk and etc to your order if you like, but then I'd want to be there and I'm not always)
Something to think about!

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. 1£ isn't *that* much money. And I wish we had grocery delivery here. I need to go now, but I wish someone would just bring me my groceries instead! ;D

I used to live in the sticks of N. California and we had delivery  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Maybe look into veggie boxes? I'm not a huge fan of shopping or crowds in general, although it's gotten LOADS better the longer I've been here--but I LOVE our Riverford mini-veg and fruit box.  Plenty of veggies for the two of us, nice fruit, and it lasts ages because it's so fresh (and I get to eat things I'd never, ever buy!).  It also means I only have to buy milk, cheese, and random stuff so it cuts down on the shopping. And you don't have to be there for them to drop it off. (You can also add milk and etc to your order if you like, but then I'd want to be there and I'm not always)

Love, love, love my veggie box! I eat in season, its locally grown, I get gorgeous veg that smells like it was just picked, and its quite a good price. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 09:13:58 PM »
I used to live in the sticks of N. California and we had delivery  ;D

Nice! I remember they tried to start it here like 10-15 years ago. It didn't take off. I guess around here, most people- actually ALL people drive. It just seemed illogical to get delivery when I could just go to the store across the street. These days, after working extra late, I'd love to just come home to groceries already there. If they send a personal chef and massage therapist with it, that'd be even better!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 3
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »
This thread has made me laugh, I love grocery shopping here!!! When my parents come to visit, the first thing we do is go grocery shopping! We all love the supermarkets! They can be a bit crowded sometimes, but as a family who love to cook and eat, I just love supermarkets! I switch shops regularly (sometimes Asda, sometimes Morrisons and sometimes Tesco) but I do love buying food!!!

The only thing I hate is those trolleys that I have to put the baby's car seat on, I can't see ahead of the trolley and I just bump into people and shelves. Not pretty, I just put on my most charming American accent and say something like "I can never drive on this side of the road" make a note that does not work when actually driving car on wrong side of the road lol...

• Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »

Is this a service as well? I would love to have this delivered!

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
Oh, I online shop - but I'm with sweetpeach, they will give you stuff that's closer to the expiration date and that's annoying.  Usually the guy from Sainsbury's lets me know, so we can plan our meals accordingly, but still. 

But yeah, we went to Asda the other weekend and it made me so irate.  Getting slammed into with carts, no general courtesy when trying to get down the aisles, etc.  It can be the same in the US in our larger Stop & Shops, but doesn't make it less annoying!

• British by descent
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
I'm officially in love with online shopping. I only use it for heavy/frozen/non-perishable items, though, so expiration dates don't bother me. I think it's well worth the delivery fee to not have to spend the time/energy trekking to the store, not to mention figuring out how to lug that much stuff home on foot!

There are enough farmer's markets and smaller grocery stores near me so that I can buy fresh milk, eggs, fruit/veg, etc, but I can do those as-needed in a smaller shop and still have the staples at home.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 01:17:38 PM »
Is this a service as well? I would love to have this delivered!

Just Google 'box schemes' or 'vegetable box schemes' and you should be able to find something in your area!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »
for those of you that do online shopping, do you get your meat online or is that one of the things you get as and when you need it?

I'm going to look into the veg boxes, I want to start eating more fresh (any) veg and think that might be a good way of getting variety. Just need to convince my very picky husband...

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
I'm officially in love with online shopping. I only use it for heavy/frozen/non-perishable items, though, so expiration dates don't bother me. I think it's well worth the delivery fee to not have to spend the time/energy trekking to the store, not to mention figuring out how to lug that much stuff home on foot!

I do the same.  Mainly, I'm using delivery to transport heavy or bulky stuff.  I order limited amounts of perishables -- no more than a couple days' worth -- so that expiration isn't much of an issue.  I've definitely noticed that the expiration window is much shorter on delivery items than those I get at the store. 

As for meat, we really only eat chicken, so I order it online from time to time, but I'd rather eyeball the packages myself.  I've not had any real problems ordering it online.

• British by descent
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »
I just submitted an order for an organic veg/fruit box (arrives on Wed!), so I'm excited to see how that goes. I'm hoping it'll encourage me to eat more fruits/veggies, and explore things I wouldn't recognize/buy in the store.

I don't eat meat, so I can't speak to that.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
I just submitted an order for an organic veg/fruit box (arrives on Wed!), so I'm excited to see how that goes. I'm hoping it'll encourage me to eat more fruits/veggies, and explore things I wouldn't recognize/buy in the store.

I don't eat meat, so I can't speak to that.
Yay! I love my veg box! Lovely, lovely veg--that I'm now eating a LOT of--which makes me feel great. And we sometimes get little "extras" (once a mango, once fennel, once a pineapple!) that always liven up the delivery.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab