Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Got my 2-Year Settlement Visa...now what?  (Read 2192 times)

• Liked: 0
Got my 2-Year Settlement Visa...now what?
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
I leave for the UK on Thursday, but I feel lost as to what to do next. I want to secure a job as quickly as possible, but what's the procedure of doing it? Do I need to get a number (like social security in the USA or a Tax ID number in Australia)? Should I setup a bank account first -- is that process hard to do?

Just a little lost...any help is awesome!!

Thank you!!

P.S. I'm moving to Canterbury -- anyone know info about the city?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:44:12 PM by mapleleafgirl72 »

Re: Got my 2-Year Settlement Visa...now what?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
I moved to Canterbury a month ago from NJ on a spousal visa.  I called the local Job Center Plus as a couple of days after I arrived and they gave me the information for applying for a NI number number.  You don't actually need the NI number to start applying for jobs, but I think it's good to apply as soon as possible. 

And yes, talk with some of the banks to see what their requirements are for opening a new account. 

Canterbury is a cute little place.  They call it a city, but it is quite small for a city, if you ask me.  Because of the 2 universities located here, the cathederal, and the proximity to france,  there are lots of young people, and lots of tourists.  There are also many decent pubs and places to hang out if you are into pubs and such. 

PM me if you need any other specific info.

• Liked: 1
Re: Got my 2-Year Settlement Visa...now what?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
Maple thanks for all of the info! I'm hoping to move to Scotland in November and that info is going to help me loads!!  :)

Sponsored Links