Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Problems opening a UK bank account!!  (Read 2496 times)

• facebook
  • Liked: 0
Problems opening a UK bank account!!
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
Ok, here's the story:
When I first came to London, I was a student, and had no problems opening an account at HSBC.  To show proof of address, they accepted a letter from my school stating my address since I was living in the dorms and didn't have any other way to show my address.  The account I was able to open was called a 'passport account' and I was charged fees every month so I ended up closing it when I went back to America.  After I married my UK Spouse, I moved back over to the UK, and need another bank account.  Now that I am not a student, apparently the requirements for proof of address are different, and I can't seem to find an easy way to meet these requirements!
I am trying to open an account at NatWest where my husband does his banking, and when we went in we were trying to open a joint account.  My husband is in the military, so our flat is rented BY them, and none of the bills are in our name as they take care of all that too.  So, I do not have any sort of utility bills.  The bank is near the military base so they understood this situation, but also said that they can't accept even a letter from the military organization that rents our flat and pays our bills, or even something from the letting agency stating that we are the tenants.  The branch manager suggested I go to the council and get something, but once again, we're not the ones who signed the lease for the flat, so how can I do this, and what am I supposed to get?  She wasn't very keen on explaining much further to me what I would have to do.  She also suggested that I get an emergency tax number and bring that in.  However, one of the documents I did produce her with was my info I've recieved for my NI number, it was actually the letter stating I've been granted an NI number and had the NI number on it, but that wasn't good enough.  I don't understand what she is suggesting, and again, she seemed to think it wasn't her job to explain much further, which I guess it's not...
The ONLY thing I can think to do is apply for a provisional liscense.  I do not drive here, and I don't need to, and I don't want to have to forfeit my US DL in order to get a provisional liscense, but this seems to be the ONLY thing I can do to prove where I live.
This has been extremely frustrating for me! 
My husband is actually being deployed to Afgahnistan very soon, so it's imperative that we open a joint account so that he can transfer money to me every month while he is away (as his paychecks will be directly deposited into his personal account).  But, it looks like this is not going to be happening before he leaves!
Thanks in advance for anyone who reads through this whole thing!!!

Re: Problems opening a UK bank account!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »
The ONLY thing I can think to do is apply for a provisional liscense.  I do not drive here, and I don't need to, and I don't want to have to forfeit my US DL in order to get a provisional liscense, but this seems to be the ONLY thing I can do to prove where I live.

You don't have to surrender your US license. Not sure where you go this idea but it's completely not true.

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
You don't have to surrender your US license. Not sure where you go this idea but it's completely not true.

I've gotten a lot of mixed information about all of that, but I do recall the forms for it that I got at the post office saying that I needed to mail it in with the forms.  I don't have the forms anymore to refer to, though.  It would be great if I am wrong!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »
Can you get a statement from your US bank? They may accept that in your unusual circumstances.

Natwest's website says they accept a full UK drivers licence, but doesn't say anything about a provisional.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/open-account-branch.ashx

I'd ring them for advice.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
As per your other post, you do NOT have to mail in or give up your US driver's license.

I'd look into getting one of your US bank statements sent to you in the UK, too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:09:14 PM by geeta »

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Can you get a statement from your US bank? They may accept that in your unusual circumstances.

Natwest's website says they accept a full UK drivers licence, but doesn't say anything about a provisional.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/open-account-branch.ashx

I'd ring them for advice.
Yes, she did say that I can call my US bank, change my address to my UK one, and ask them to mail me a statement.  However, it seems unlikely that my bank will do all that.  That is something I will also look into.  The funny thing is that my bank in the US (Charter One) is owned by RBS and I believe NatWest is also owned by RBS.  Doesn't seem to hold any weight though.
Also, very good point about the provisional license!  I will have to look in to that too!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
Yes, she did say that I can call my US bank, change my address to my UK one, and ask them to mail me a statement.  However, it seems unlikely that my bank will do all that.

Why do you think it's unlikely?  I'd think it wouldn't be a problem at all.  My UK bank seems to have no problem sending me statements to the US.

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
Ok, my husband has just told me that when we met with the woman at the bank, she did in fact say that I can't use a provisional license for proof of address- it must be a full DL.  So, forget that idea then, at least for this purpose.
WHAT am I supposed to do?!
Does anyone know what she is on about with getting an emergency tax number, and using that?
Or when she said I can get something from the council, can I do that if my flat is rented for us by the military??
 I did not understand what she was on about with these two suggestions, and as I said, she wasn't keen on breaking it down for me :(

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »
Personally I would go to a different bank, I get the feeling that they weren't being helpful and working with you at all. I feel like if they aren't going to work with you in the beginning they are going to be worse if you have a problem. Hope you don't mind, but just really think it is worth considering.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
I don't see how you can get an "emergency tax number" if you already have a NI number.  That doesn't make sense.

I also doubt you'd be able to get something from the council if your name is not on the account, but I suppose you could call and ask.

What about asking your husband's supervisors or whatever the equivalent of human resources is there how you can get proof of address? 

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:16 PM »
Personally I would go to a different bank, I get the feeling that they weren't being helpful and working with you at all. I feel like if they aren't going to work with you in the beginning they are going to be worse if you have a problem. Hope you don't mind, but just really think it is worth considering.
Yeah, I was thinking about maybe going somewhere else, even though they're all regulated by the same people, perhaps another bank would be more helpful.  It was so easy at HSBC when I opened an account there in the past so I feel like it might be worth a try to take my business elsewhere!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
I have dealt with the exact same situation. My wife has an account with Natwest and we wanted to add me as a joint holder. No luck for the same reasons and the would not accept the US bank statement with the UK address on it. I even have a couple of letters from HM Revenue and Customs with my tax id information on it and those were not acceptable.

Gave up on Natwest and went over to HSBC and opened the passport account. Not the ideal account, but I could open it with my passport and US driver license. You can upgrade to the standard HSBC Advance current account as well after a while. So it is a start. HSBC was actually helpful unlike Natwest.

I just did this last week. So I know it works. Now to figure out how to get a credit card.

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 03:32:28 AM »
I have dealt with the exact same situation. My wife has an account with Natwest and we wanted to add me as a joint holder. No luck for the same reasons and the would not accept the US bank statement with the UK address on it. I even have a couple of letters from HM Revenue and Customs with my tax id information on it and those were not acceptable.

Gave up on Natwest and went over to HSBC and opened the passport account. Not the ideal account, but I could open it with my passport and US driver license. You can upgrade to the standard HSBC Advance current account as well after a while. So it is a start. HSBC was actually helpful unlike Natwest.

I just did this last week. So I know it works. Now to figure out how to get a credit card.

Interesting! I've switched my bank statements over so that they are sent to my UK address, but I am really not looking forward to going back into that same NatWest branch, as I am worried that they will now say THIS isn't acceptable either... just as they did to you.  I just have a feeling..
Also, the Passport Account at HSBC is exactly what I used to have as a student.  I guess I should take some steps backwards.  Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
I work for Halifax as a Banking Advisor (ie I open the accounts).  You need two forms ID- one for name and one for address.

As far as name goes.... Passport is fine.  If you've since been married you'll need your marriage certificate to show the progression. US driver's license won't be accepted.  

As far as address goes.  Halifax would accept a recent bank statement from another bank (within the last 6 months), but it must have the current address.   I can't remember off hand if NI letter could be used, but I don't think so because we can't use a NI card.  Benefits letters can be accepted. p45 and p60 can not be used.

Some banks will accept a provisional, some won't.  I believe HSBC and Santander will not.  I know Halifax will.

If you go into a local Halifax branch ask for the About You leaflet.... it has a list of the accepted identifications.

Any other questions you can message me direct and I will try and find out answers for you.

Good luck!

edit: removed email to protect privacy
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:44:21 PM by Ashley »
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 06:25:54 AM »
So very helpful, thank you!  Perhaps I will open an account at Halifax!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab