Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Area Book Club - 20 November 2010  (Read 2064 times)

• Liked: 0
London Area Book Club - 20 November 2010
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
The next meeting of the London Area Book Club is at 3:00pm, Saturday,20 November 2010 at The Firestation, which is on Waterloo Road, right next to Waterloo Station.

We will be discussing The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr.

Is biology destiny? At a finger buffet held at 24 Beech Drive on the day of Charles and Diana's wedding, Rebecca Monroe’s mother locked herself in the bathroom and never came out. Was it because her squidgy chocolate log collapsed? Because Rebecca’s grandmother married her first cousin? Or can we never know why we do what we do? According to Rebecca’s scientist husband, our genes control our fate, but Rebecca is less sure. Can science explain everything? Love? Chance? Who shot JR? Charting her family history, Rebecca discovers that it's not just a habit of quoting proverbs and a recipe for sherry trifle that have been passed down the maternal line. Three generations of mistaken marriages, dubiously fathered children and untimely deaths make up the Monroe family DNA. Is Rebecca simply the next twist in the double spiral? Or is Aunty Suzanne, the women's libber, right? That biology need not be destiny? Intertwining relationships between husbands and wives, mothers and daughters, sisters and aunts, go to the heart of this tragicomic history of one British family; where Man about the House and The Joy of Sex conjoin with family life and the scientific method, Carole Cadwalladr asks the most fundamental of questions: who, how and why we are.

[smiley=book.gif] [smiley=book.gif] [smiley=book.gif]

Don't be shy!  We are a very friendly group, and welcome all long time members and especially the newly-minted Londoners to come join us!
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

Re: London Area Book Club - 20 November 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »
Hi Karrit!

I'm new to London and very interested in joining your book club and meeting new people. Please send me a message if there is anything I need to know about the next meeting.
-Annie

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
Annie, I PMed you.  If anyone would like further details or my mobile number for contacting us on the day, just PM me. :)

“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »
Im still waiting for the book to arrive from the library but was looking at buying it in case it gets too late and I dont have it yet. Just for anyone who wants to know, its 5.27 at WH Smith and 5.99 at amazon.com.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:28:06 AM by JennM »

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »
when/where is the next meeting?

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
when/where is the next meeting?

Here is the link to the next meeting info.   ;D

Sponsored Links