Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any Americans Living in Bath?  (Read 4813 times)

• Liked: 0
Any Americans Living in Bath?
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:54:58 AM »
I went to the University of Bath in the late 70's.  Since then, I have always wanted to return there to retire.  I am curious .... what is Bath like now?  I have heard that the city center can get rowdy, even dangerous, at night.  Is that true?  Is the new shopping center up and running?  Is the place outrageously expensive (e.g., on par with Mayfair)?

Most importantly, how are Americans treated in Bath?  Is it a friendly place?  I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!

P.S.  Does anyone do the daily commute into London?

Re: Any Americans Living in Bath?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
I live in Bath now. Very friendly to Americans.  Housing is very expensive.  The only time the City Centre has been rowdy when I have been there is on NY's Eve.  I walk around at night by myself and feel safe.  The new shopping center is up and running, but not too obnoxious. 

I don't commute to London, but about once every 4-6 weeks.  It looks outrageously expensive if you go at commuter times, so I always go super off-peak.  But it only takes 1.5hr to get to Paddington, so do-able. 

I love it here.  So beautiful.  Urban, but without the ugly part and attitude, and National Trust lands across the street.  Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

"Don't ask what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.  Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
-Howard Thurman

www.arewethereyetmom.us

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
I don't live in Bath, but I have two sets of relatives who live there and I visit often. They both live right off Pulteney Bridge, so a 5 minute walk from the centre of everything, yet it doesn't feel at all urban where they are. They look out on the river on one side and it's as peaceful as can be. You can't hear traffic at all; all you hear are birds. City-living isn't for me, and as lovely as Bath is - it's still a city. But there are few places I'd rather visit in England!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
I don't commute to London, but about once every 4-6 weeks.  It looks outrageously expensive if you go at commuter times, so I always go super off-peak.  But it only takes 1.5hr to get to Paddington, so do-able. 

I'm from Bristol and once looked into studying for my masters in London while living in Bristol and commuting every day.

However, I quickly dismissed that idea when I saw how much it would cost for an annual train ticket between Bristol and London: more than £8,000!! (Although now, 5 years later, the prices are as much as £9,964 for 12 months!!!)

It would have been about the same price just to live in London for the year and save myself 3 hours of travelling every day :P. In the end I went to Bristol Univeristy instead and just lived with my parents for the year to save money :).

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
I'm American and moving to Bath in 1 month... are there any American clubs or social events in Bath?

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »
Sorry, not that I know of.  Mine is usually the only American accent I hear around town.
"Don't ask what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.  Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
-Howard Thurman

www.arewethereyetmom.us

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »
I'm American and moving to Bath in 1 month... are there any American clubs or social events in Bath?

I don't know about events and clubs, but there's the American Museum.

Sorry, not that I know of.  Mine is usually the only American accent I hear around town.

That's funny, CA! I was just in Bath with a friend and we both kept noticing how many Americans we heard! Three of the stewards working at the Lit Fest, a waiter, etc.! They were everywhere!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
I live near Bath- was just in town there yesterday. I absolutely love love love it.  It is absolutely wonderful, I would put its US equivalent to the lovely Boulder, CO if you've ever walked the Pearl St Mall, or Portland Maine or Oakland CA.  Its among the wealthiest towns in the UK.  The restaurants and tea rooms are all unique and I would say there are about no joke about 50 restaurants in town, like Oakland CA.    For such a small city, it has a huge amount theatre and clubs. Its a highly educated area, I just went to hear a free lecture on the role of the Anglican church in 18th century literature, and the room was absolutely packed.   I was about to join an exclusive ladies book club (its by special invitation only - it is all PhDs, lit editors, grad students, but it would have met on Tuesday nights which I cannot do). Its a very upbeat vibrant (yes, progressive ;) vibe.   
For myself, this is my kind of town.  I don't ever see any yobs about, if there were any, they really would stand out like a sore thumb and probably get arrested on the spot I would imagine.

I'm happy to have a meetup if anyone is interested.  I know the area pretty well and wouldn't mind giving a tour.
HSMP Granted 19 June 07
Expat to London 16 Aug 07
Move to Newcastle upon Tyne 21 April 08
FLR Granted under new Tier 1 visa 19 June 09

• Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
I don't ever see any yobs about, if there were any, they really would stand out like a sore thumb and probably get arrested on the spot I would imagine.

Oh, there are yobs in Bath, they just don't go to the city centre/touristy areas.

I lived in Bath for 2.5 years and loved it. DH and I decided to move back there when we become independently wealthy!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »
Sorry to be a doof.  What's a "yob"?  I live in Bath, but don't know if I've seen any :)
-Howard Thurman

www.arewethereyetmom.us

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yob

There are areas in Larkhall, Twerton, and Southdown where they tend to congregate. You'll occasionally get some in Oldfield Park (I lived next to Linear Park), but not nearly as many as in other areas. Even Bath isn't immune to the yob, but you'll rarely see them in the city centre during the day where they cops would pick them up in a hot minute.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »
thanks for the clarification.  why didn't I find urban dictionary sooner?? Now I also know what a chav is!
-Howard Thurman

www.arewethereyetmom.us

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
I remember before I moved over I was looking at housing listings and one said, 'No chavs'. I had to ask my friend who had just moved from England what a chav was!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab