Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Area Book Club - 19 March 2011  (Read 2015 times)

• Liked: 0
London Area Book Club - 19 March 2011
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
I want to thank everyone who participated in this book club meeting on Saturday.  It was a great discussion, and it is so great to see new people joining us.

The next book club meeting with be Saturday, 19 March 2011 at 3pm at the Cafe Rouge (2nd level) at Victoria Station.  We will be discussing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society  by Mary Ann Shaffer
It's 1946 and author Juliet Ashton can't think what to write next. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey - by chance, he's acquired a book that once belonged to her - and, spurred on by their mutual love of reading, they begin a correspondence. When Dawsey reveals that he is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, her curiosity is piqued and it's not long before she begins to hear from other members. As letters fly back and forth with stories of life in Guernsey under the German Occupation, Juliet soon realizes that the society is every bit as extraordinary as its name.

The book is available on Kindle, and as some of our members pointed out on Saturday, some of the local libraries have it available to borrow as a download!

Please feel free to post or PM me any questions.  New folks and opinions are always welcome.  Come join us for a latte and some great discussion with a diverse and fun group!
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

Re: London Area Book Club - 19 March 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
I read the book over my holiday and I LOVED it.  However, I picked up a nice American viral infection when I was at home and as a result, I have no voice.  Doc says to not speak above a whisper all weekend if I have a chance to have my voice by the time I start my new job on Monday, so I'm going to have to bail this time. 

Hopefully next month I can join you!

Re: London Area Book Club - 19 March 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »
Awww...we will miss you, but hope you feel better soon!  And congrats on the job!  ;D

I am also pleased you enjoyed the book.  We are looking to set up the next 3 to 4 meetings so if you have any book suggestions, drop me a line and I will include them in the selection process.
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab