Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: World Book Night!  (Read 2258 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
World Book Night!
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »
Is anyone doing anything interesting?

I went to an early event this morning. Our local private (subscription) library is in some beautiful public gardens which lock up at night, so they had to do theirs in the daytime. It was really fun. Loads of people there, from children to OAPs, and they served scrummy cream teas for everyone.

I got a copy of John le Carré's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold which, embarrassingly, I've never read. What's really nice about it is that it has 'World Book Night 2011' printed on the cover, along with a blurb about WBN on the back. It's a really nice keepsake.

Tonight our local public library is holding an event, so I'll be going to that. Several local authors will be speaking there too, so it should be good. And who knows what other book I'll come home with!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Snaps
Re: World Book Night!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »
Just me then??  :-\\\\

Last night was even better! I think the library expected about 20-30 people, but had nearly 100! Standing room only, and we were packed in like sardines. Still, I managed to snag copies of Alan Bennett's A Life Like Other People's and Ben Macintyre's Agent Zigzag. And had some really entertaining book chat with four local authors to boot.

I loved World Book Night. Roll on WBN 2012!

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »
I'd never heard of it.  Heard of World Book Day for kids (this past Thursday) but didn't know about this. 

Haven't read Agent Zigzag but enjoyed his Operation Mincemeat.  Alex's cousin Andy is married to the daughter of one of the guys who was behind Mincemeat in fact (Charles Cholmondeley) only his family knew nothing about it until Macintyre wrote the book!  :o
Maroon Passport Club!

• Snaps
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
Haven't read Agent Zigzag but enjoyed his Operation Mincemeat.  Alex's cousin Andy is married to the daughter of one of the guys who was behind Mincemeat in fact (Charles Cholmondeley) only his family knew nothing about it until Macintyre wrote the book!  :o

How cool!  I haven't read either Mincemeat or Zigzag, but am looking forward to it.

World Book Night was a giveaway of one million books all over the UK. You had to apply to be a 'giver' and were then sent 48 copies of the book you chose. Then there were events held all over the place to distribute the books. It was fabulous.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:11:59 AM »
What a cool idea!
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »
We went to the launch in Trafalgar Square on Friday.  I wanted to find some events yesterday, but the site wasn't very search friendly.  I am getting one of the books from a friend, but I am not sure if she realises it's on the list.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »
We were out in Hampstead yesterday, and were given Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin. Looking forward to reading it!

We saw a big tent/event in Trafalgar Sq on Friday night, but I think you needed tickets to get in, and we were on our way to the theatre so couldn't investigate too much.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
Nothing (to my knowledge) was going on here, but it did inspire me to pick up three of the selections that Ive never read (Stuart: A Life Backwards, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold & A Life Like Other Peoples)

I was surprised that Amazon didnt even have mention of it on its books section. :(

• Snaps
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
I was surprised that Amazon didnt even have mention of it on its books section. :(

That is surprising - especially since Amazon's head of book buying was on the World Book Night committee which selected the books.

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »
I was hoping there would be re-direction to authors and their selected books, and there was nothing :( I initially tried searching for selections by world book night and nothing came back.

VERY disappointing for something thats a very good cause.
Actually Ive just found their 'feature' section. Its located on the left hand side of the page half way down. Not very obvious.  :-\\\\

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
Aww, I didn't even know about this.. :(

• Snaps
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »
Aww, I didn't even know about this.. :(

If you register on the WBN website, you'll get reminders for next year!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »
If you register on the WBN website, you'll get reminders for next year!

Thanks! I certainly will!

Sponsored Links