Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Has feminism blocked social mobility for men?  (Read 927 times)

• Liked: 533
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 0
Re: UK: Has feminism blocked social mobility for men?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
Nope. As per usual, it's a bit more complicated than that. Yes feminism increased opportunities for women in the workplace, but that 30 years or so they're talking about have included myriad other changes, both subtle and sweeping in the area of population composition, government policy, technological advances, a general trend towards less conservative social views, the role and position of the UK in international politics, and I could basically go on forever. It's foolish to try to pin it on one social change, no matter how much it has changed things.
Arrived 12 Oct 2010/Spousal Visa
Whole new world for a Southern gardener, but I'm very happy.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
WHO CARES! (Hundreds of years of inequality for women...)

• Liked: 163
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
WHO CARES! (Hundreds of years of inequality for women...)

[sarcasm] Yeah!  Two wrongs DO make a right! [/sarcasm]

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
[sarcasm] Yeah!  Two wrongs DO make a right! [/sarcasm]

Not enough time has elapsed to say men have been treated unfairly. In several hundred years we can say two wrongs didn't make it right.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:55 AM »
My goodness....

I had always hoped that men would adopt attributes historically associated with the female of the species - kindness, caring, etc. - which I think we have to some degree (debatable?). Perhaps though we will see the opposite occur.

I read recently where the pitch of womens' speaking voices have actually deepened as a result of being on a more equal level (or higher) with men. Not that any evolutionary change in the vocal chords has occurred but that women just have developed a 'business voice'.   
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
Not enough time has elapsed to say men have been treated unfairly. In several hundred years we can say two wrongs didn't make it right.

Over the past 50 years, women have gone on to University and entered the workplace in huge numbers. Of course this is going to affect and change things.  It brings more competition, and in a Darwinian sense, the "fittest" survive.  It doesn't surprise me that there are men who might have gone to a better university if women weren't allowed.  But the same thing would have happened if there were just more men.

I realise that there are individual cases where reverse discrimination has occurred and though I sympathise, and understand the frustration, there are still more times when minorities or women lose out to the "old boy network."  Of course it is not right, but welcome to the real world, boys!  You now longer get the inside lane just because you have a willy!
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »
I would hope that we have come far enough along to progress beyond what is essentially "Well, now it's their turn!".  Obviously unfairness and discrimination of any kind is counter-productive.  Plus, I hardly think holding today's men accountable for the the treatment of women hundreds of years ago is helpful in any way.  Hold people accountable for their own actions, not for historical actions.

And to be fair, feminism isn't even about just women anymore.  It's about gender equality.  This means equal rights for men, women, and transgendered people as well as equality for people of every sexual orientation.  It's hardly as cut and dry as men vs. women.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »
The same things that blocked social mobility for men for generations is blocking it now, and it's not feminism.

Sorry, this is just another thing along with immigration coverage which is meant to keep the working class pissed off at something that doesn't really deserve their ire.  I agree that women might displace men in university, work, etc., but it's much along the vein of what Karrit said.  Why is it the women and not the middle and upper class men blocking working class male mobility?  Because they have a right to those spots and women are the usurpers?

This is just a way of making a case without making a case.  Let's blame it on the bogey (wo)man that is feminism.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
The same things that blocked social mobility for men for generations is blocking it now, and it's not feminism.

Sorry, this is just another thing along with immigration coverage which is meant to keep the working class pissed off at something that doesn't really deserve their ire.  I agree that women might displace men in university, work, etc., but it's much along the vein of what Karrit said.  Why is it the women and not the middle and upper class men blocking working class male mobility?  Because they have a right to those spots and women are the usurpers?

This is just a way of making a case without making a case.  Let's blame it on the bogey (wo)man that is feminism.

Yes.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
What's blocking men? 

Let's not forget that until the late 20th century lots of young, hard men, who perhaps didn't particularly fit in with society were either sent off to war and died in their millions, or were packed off to foreign colonies to settle the land. 

Many of the men who are currently kicking around wouldn't have been here in the past and many of the men who are causing issues could no longer enlist in the military (at least in the US) due to drug use, criminal convictions, debts and tattoos. 

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
Over the past 50 years, women have gone on to University and entered the workplace in huge numbers. Of course this is going to affect and change things.  It brings more competition, and in a Darwinian sense, the "fittest" survive.  It doesn't surprise me that there are men who might have gone to a better university if women weren't allowed.  But the same thing would have happened if there were just more men.

I realise that there are individual cases where reverse discrimination has occurred and though I sympathise, and understand the frustration, there are still more times when minorities or women lose out to the "old boy network."  Of course it is not right, but welcome to the real world, boys!  You now longer get the inside lane just because you have a willy!

Thank you, I'm too tired right now to deal with these....

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
Also, lots of young men would have been killed or seriously injured in dangerous professions. That also doesn't happen much anymore.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »
this is classic "divide and conquer" from the ruling class.  If working men are asking why tey aren't better paid, and you don't want them to look at people profiting from their labour, you point them at another group of working people and say "These are the people who are taking what should be yours".  Traditionally, it's done with immigrants, other racial groups, or other religions.  Seeing it done with womankind in general is a new one.

Sponsored Links